GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,234
1 members and 1,233 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-12-2004, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

What to wear for rush?

I was looking on the website for rush at UF and for prefs it said formal dress that you would have worn to prom or homecoming. It didn't say anything about color, but a lot of people talking about preferentials on here have said they wear black dresses and all the girls in the picture on the site are wearing black dresses. Unfortunately my dress is cream colored with black trim. It's gorgeous, but I'm worried it may be inappropriate. Any opinions?

Also, we have 2 days of casual (shorts or casual skirt) and 2 days of "dressy" (something you would wear to church). So I'm thinking for the two casual days I have these two cute skirts from American Eagle that are casual, but fun and girly and really me. Plus I feel really comfortable in them. But I'm not sure about the what you would wear to church days...that could be so many different things......suggestions would be appreciated.

I've read a lot of posts that say you wear bid day shirts on bid day, but I think I remember girls having to wear black dresses last year...has anyone else had to do that?

Sorry this is so long, just want to get some questions answered so I can go shopping (YAY for payday )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2004, 11:01 AM

I think your pref dress is fine! It's usually a good idea to wear something non-black so as to stand out from the sisters, who usually all wear the same color, often black.

If you receive a bid, the first thing you'll get from your new sorority is a lot of gifts, including a t-shirt. You'll probably get the chance to change into it, then there will be lots of pictures taken.

Hopefully one of the ladies from UF will be able to help you with your other questions.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

on philanthropy day

you may be sitting on the floor so shorts may be more comfortable for getting up and down. my daughter has a few skirts from a.e. and they do have cute stuff, but i don't know if they would be comfortable to sit on the floor in.

church dress suggests something you would wear to an afternoon wedding or to a family members graduation or other solemn occasion. it would be a bit dressier than a sundress.it would not be something that you would go clubbing in.
auburn u. and fsu panhellenic websites in the past have had girls modeling appropriate outfits for recruitment-you might check them out. i am sure that other schools do also. have you tried the uf panhellenic website-maybe they have pictures too.

calling all u. of florida sisters to answer this young lady's questions!!!

best of luck to you for a fun recruitment. please keep us posted if you can!! lisa

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-13-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thanks you guys for your advice. FSUzeta, I'll definitely check out the sites! Thanks!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought the modeling the clothes sounded so neat that I looked it up! Here is the one for FSU (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.greeklife.fsu.edu/index.a...al=npc-faq.asp

ETA: Here is Auburn's!

http://www.auburn.edu/panhellenic/schedule.html

Last edited by ADPiAkron; 06-13-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Bama has a page like this as well.

http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/what%20to%20expect2.htm

Good advice!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Even though i'm not a florida gal, i wanted to add my suggestions...i totally agree with aephi alum, it's always good to stand out color-wise because sisters will be able to recall you immediately as someone who stood out visually....and i would err on the side of dressy-ness; the potential new member recruitment wardrobe for my school sounds similar to yours but we usually see girls in skirts and nice shirts on the 'casual' days rather than shorts and t-shirts. RCs always tell the girls that you always want to look your best, so i don't really see the problem with going for a nicer look unless it's a ball gown or something

good luck!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Dress up more than what the Pi Chis tell you....believe me at UF it makes a difference...If I were you I would wear a skirt and cute top or sundress to rounds one and two and then kick it up a notch for round three and then the dress you have for prefs sounds good....do not listen to the BS they give you to wear shorts and tennis shoes to the first two rounds...I am not trying to sound harsh but thats just the way it is, especially when you have 1300 girls coming through you talk to them for 10 minutes and you have to cut your numbers in half...a lot of times if you are dressed nicer you make the better impression...its shallow but thats how UFs rush is....if you have any questions about it let me know...I was a DZ there and some of my closest friends where DDDs, KDs, ADPis, AOTTs, DGs, and ZTAs there and I am happy to answer any questions you have.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

yea, for uf56!!!

thanks for answering this pnm's questions. answers are so much better from someone who has "been there and done that!!"lisa
Old 06-15-2004, 03:21 PM

Your first round is the sorority's first impression of you. The handbook will say you can wear shorts but I recommend you get a little more dressy. UCF is pretty much the same in terms of recruitment dress code as UF so I pretty much know what they're looking for. You're going to want to stand out so I would wear a cute sundress the first day.
As for round 2, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, wear a skirt or a dress. This is craft day and many of the sororities will have you sitting on the floor doing a craft. You will probably be nervous enough so the last thing you need is to worry if you're sitting correctly so that no one can see up your skirt/dress. A cute pair of linen capris with a nice shirt would be good during this round.
The third round, a nice sundress would be appropriate. This is UF so a Lily dress would be great to wear this day.
The 4th round (prefs) is when you should dress it up more. A black cocktail dress or something you would wear to a wedding would be good. No gowns!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks

UF56, thank you so much! It is so nice to have advice from someone who's been through it at UF! I was planning on wearing skirts on all the days (I think I look really bad in shorts)...do you think that's a bad idea....I know a lot of girls have said no for the philanthropy round, I was just wondering what your opinion was.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:50 PM

How about one of those skirt in front/shorts in back things? That way you would have a clean line in the front from the skirt but nothing will hang out when you sit.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
LILLY PULITZER

Can't go wrong with Lilly. Its starting to go on sale at different places.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JasBoleen
should you wear a (casual) skirt for the first two days (ice waters) even if the greeklife website lists it as a "don't". ?something tells me a lot of girls at my school will be wearing skirts...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:24 AM

FSU

I looked at those pics and the ice water girls, particularly the one on the right, look WAY too casual...I know it's Florida and hot but a ribbed tank top doesn't seem like it would be appropriate for rush anywhere.

If your gut tells you girls will be wearing skirts and dressier than what the site says....I would definitely go with that.

and once again, I just wish the Greek life sites would stop with the PCness and say "you can dress to be comfy in a tank top and boxer shorts, but there is no chance in hell you'll get a bid. Wear a Lily for crying out loud!"