GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,684
3 members and 1,681 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma, speedsters

Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Famous Rec. Writers

I had lunch today with a girlfriend whose daughter will be a freshman at University of Colorado this year. She was talking about getting all of daughters recs. together and said they had secured all of them but AXO. She was laughing saying that too bad Condoleezza Rice no longer lived in the area because she used to see her at church and would have totally asked her to write the rec! We both got a good laugh and then started talking about what a chapter would do if a famous person submitted a rec! We figured it would go one of two ways- either the PNM would automatically get a bid because of the "cool she knows xyz" factor OR she would be dropped immediately because no one in the chapter would ever believe that "XYZ" actually wrote the rec!

Anybody ever hear, see or know about a famous sister submitting a rec? Think it would be interesting...

Hope everyones summer's going well... so far I have ZERO! rec girls for the fall (a first for me)-- but do have a dear friend's daughter off to Ole Miss!!! Can't wait for her recruitment :-)
Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of a famous sister writing a rec, but Kristin Chenoweth is doing the ribbon cutting for our new house at Alabama in August. Maybe she'll make some contacts and get asked next year!

I've checked her address in our member search before, and she has her publicist's address listed. I think it could be pretty tough to get in contact with anyone famous to even ask. You'd definitely have to know them personally, like your friend.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

We got a "rec" from the president of Phi Mu (I'm an Alpha Xi) because her daughter was attending a school where they don't have a chapter (that's how I'm remembering it anyway). It was treated like a celebrity rec and we were all told EXACTLY how to acknowledge it. I don't remember the deets now, but it was definitely an eye popper.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

It's no secret that one of our chapters was founded because the daughter of our then-International President was about to matriculate. And yes, she came with a "don't even think about ignoring this" rec!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting! DubaiSis and honeychile! I can't even imagine the pressure of rushing the president's daughter!!! ha ha ha... I was such a bad rusher that they probably wouldn't have even let me near the house!!!!

Sciencewoman that is SO COOL! on so many levels.. about Kristin Chenoweth coming to do the ribbon cutting. I LOVE her!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Well...talk about the pressure of rushing the President's daughter (literally) - Barbara and Jenna Bush both come to mind. I suspect their recs were written by their mother, a Theta alumna, who was married to the POTUS at the time they went through rush. I imagine the Yale and Texas alumnae didn't blink. After all, it's Texas. It's Yale.

(ETA - thinking about LBJ's older daughter, a ZTA alumna - was her father in office when she rushed? Oh, this could be fun!)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Oooh AZTheta! I didn't even think about the children of famous people coming through!

I could be wrong- but from what I remember... Lynda Bird Johnson pledged the year before her father became President (was still VP) though... however Susan Ford (also a ZTA) pledged while her father was President!

I wonder if secret service had to come to the parties with the girls? Now that thought makes me giggle!!!!

Last edited by OldOleMiss; 06-26-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

I knew someone who was an active Zeta while Lynda Bird was in the Texas chapter. She said that the Secret Service was pretty annoying and that they had special rooms to stay in.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Understandable with all that went on back then.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
Oooh AZTheta! I didn't even think about the children of famous people coming through!
Was sticking to your topic - the famous rec writer being Laura Bush, writing for her daughers (legacy recs). Didn't mean to derail the thread - sorry!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

ha ha ha... not a derailment an interesting sidetrack :-) --- and those poor secret service agents Carnation- it was probably a toss up to whom was more annoyed the sisters with them or them with the sisters.... I can't imagine back then there were female agents- so imagine three or four men having to endure a house full of sorority girls---
Old 06-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Only a celeb in Zeta circles, but my pledge trainer, who was the Executive Director of our int'l headquarters at the time wrote a rec. for my daughter.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
ha ha ha... not a derailment an interesting sidetrack :-) --- and those poor secret service agents Carnation- it was probably a toss up to whom was more annoyed the sisters with them or them with the sisters.... I can't imagine back then there were female agents- so imagine three or four men having to endure a house full of sorority girls---
A few of the recent, notorious ones who have been in the news may have loved this assignment. Eww.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Only a celeb in Zeta circles, but my pledge trainer, who was the Executive Director of our int'l headquarters at the time wrote a rec. for my daughter.
Uh yeah that would definitely be a Big Deal. A Very Big Deal!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If I remember correctly only Jenna went Greek in college. Jenna pledged Theta at UT while Barbara did not go Greek at Yale, but it is rumored that she was chosen for Skull and Bones the secret society to which her father was a member. I did hear that Secret Service agents had their hands full with the twins. When Jenna went through recruitment, they had to wait outside the chapter houses. She also ditched them at parties and bars. I cannot image being 19 and wanting to be a normal college student, but having the secret service tail you all the time.