GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 811
1 members and 810 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

To answer your questions:

1. If a PNM maximizes her options after the pref round—meaning she lists all the houses that she was invited to for pref, she is “guaranteed” a bid (unless she does something unthinkable that would get her kicked out of recruitment between the time she ranks and when the lists are submitted.) If she only is invited to one house for pref round—and she lists that one house on her card, congrats, she knows her house.

2. Each group has their own legacy policy. If it is your GLO, check your recruitment manual—or call HQ for the details. Many groups have a policy that if you are invited to pref, you have to be at the top of the first list. Others say you have to be at the top of the second list. Some have a different policy. With the RFM, in my understanding, you essentially have three “passes” by the computer to attempt to match the girl to her first choice. Many times if a legacy is not matched to her legacy house on bid day it is because she listed the house as second (and perhaps lied about how she ranked.)

If the person you are asking about has one invitation and it is to her legacy house, breathe easy and perhaps pre-shop for a bid day gift.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Theta1234 for the response.
I think I private messaged you but I am new to this Greekchat.

Good luck to all pnms tomorrow! Praying that everyone who has trusted the process this far finds a home
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My D had great visits today. She really found something to like at every house and was paired with some terrific girls. She called me on her walk back to dorm... was already solid on her top two, and wanted to discuss the top of her bottom list. After talking it out, she feels she has made the best choices for herself and can comfortably see herself in 4 of the houses. I am crossing my fingers that she gets invited to pref round in at least one of her top two.

Sounds like the crappy situation with the chapter on C and D is complicating things for the girls who had that house on their list. My D has 2 friends who had them this round, and were notified by their RGs that they have to go to the union to fill out and turn in their lists under the supervision of recruitment officials. These girls were very torn about the troubled chapter. She also says a few friends are suiciding, feeling a connection at only one chapter on their lists. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but as the saying goes, not my monkeys...

Hope all the kiddos found connections today, and kudos to the girls behind the scenes and welcoming all these girls to their homes.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Women cannot "suicide" this round. They must list two top choices and then rank their remaining chapters. They must attend every chapter they are invited to tomorrow or they will be released from recruitment.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
My D had great visits today. She really found something to like at every house and was paired with some terrific girls. She called me on her walk back to dorm... was already solid on her top two, and wanted to discuss the top of her bottom list. After talking it out, she feels she has made the best choices for herself and can comfortably see herself in 4 of the houses. I am crossing my fingers that she gets invited to pref round in at least one of her top two.

Sounds like the crappy situation with the chapter on C and D is complicating things for the girls who had that house on their list. My D has 2 friends who had them this round, and were notified by their RGs that they have to go to the union to fill out and turn in their lists under the supervision of recruitment officials. These girls were very torn about the troubled chapter. She also says a few friends are suiciding, feeling a connection at only one chapter on their lists. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but as the saying goes, not my monkeys...

Hope all the kiddos found connections today, and kudos to the girls behind the scenes and welcoming all these girls to their homes.
Glad your daughter found more of a connection with a couple of chapters that weren't in her top two, also. That bodes well for her keeping an open mind about what happens tomorrow. Best of luck to her, and keep us posted!

Also, you're correct. The c&d situation isn't good for the PNMs nor the actives in that chapter. I know that if I were a PNM, I'd be keeping all my options open in that situation, but if someone really feels a connection to that chapter, it would be difficult to make a decision.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope I have been misinformed, but a PNM has told her mother that one of the chapters has been pulled from recruitment and will not be having a new member class this year. Again, I hope we have been misinformed.

Edited to add: There is a story posted on WTRV online about this and it has been confirmed.

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 01-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I hope I have been misinformed, but a PNM has told her mother that one of the chapters has been pulled from recruitment and will not be having a new member class this year. Again, I hope we have been misinformed.

Edited to add: There is a story posted on WTRV online about this and it has been confirmed.
Yes, it’s posted on the IDS website. Says that their National informed them they could not proceed. Doesn’t sound good for them.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019...ps-recruitment
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read the “IU Daily Student” posting as well. So ALL THE QUESTIONS TO ANSWER... girls who chose this chapter over others to return to, legacies counting on a bid at preference, other houses who will Be the OTHER HOUSE opposite this chapter in pref, etc. And how about the many girls who WOULD HAVE been bidded and signed their bids?

What is IU Panhellenic doing right now to help confused, broken-hearted PNM’s make sense of this and have TWO choices to return to for pref?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Yes, it’s posted on the IDS website. Says that their National informed them they could not proceed. Doesn’t sound good for them.
That would explain why any PNM who attended them this round was asked to go to a different location to rank chapters for tomorrow. I feel sorry for the young women who have been returning to them and perhaps would have taken another look at someone else. Here's hoping they all still find homes they love.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry that Chi Omega is going through this and for all the PNMs who were hoping for a bid there. Chi Omega is typically one of the strongest recruiting chapters at IU, and since recruitment was still at a round of 9 (even though it is the round right before pref) hopefully the girls going to Chi Omega were ones that still had several other options.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

IndianaSigKap~thats right. I guess they were talking about tomorrow. I hope they don't!

Very sad about that chapter pulling out. It seems to me it is the right thing to do if big trouble is possibly on the way though, as the PNMs that keep selecting them aren't involved in whatever the trouble is, and could wind up chapter-less if it does end badly. This saves them from a disappointing fate if they are too dazzled to make a decision. Not to mention blowback for the organization. For legacies, I imagine this is so disappointing :~((
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m sure this is difficult for the PNM’s, but they still have choices. imagine how all the girls in the chapter must feel.

Obviously something very serious has happened. Heartbreaking.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't give a flying flip what the women in the chapter must feel. They are the cause. I've done enough work nationally with my group to have seen all kinds of stupid.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m furious and sad, I love Chi O and my daughter loved her legacy house, it’s a shame it’s come to this.