GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,257
0 members and 1,257 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs -- How Early Is Too Early?

Hi All -- I do recs for a lot of PNMs. I have for years, and because of the area I live in, most of the PNMs are going through recruitment in the SEC. I also know, and talk with, a lot of alumnae from various Panhellenic sororities who send in recs.

Regarding fall recruitment, we usually send recs in during the summer...after the PNM has her final high school GPA (or spring semester GPA if she is already in college.) This also allows for all end-of-year honors/awards/activities to be included on the resume.

I have seen a couple of posts out here recently where it's been mentioned that some sororities are already receiving recs for Fall '13. I'd really like input as to whether or not these early send-ins are becoming common and if it's advised/preferred. I also get asked fairly often by PNMs how soon is too soon and want to advise correctly.

In my experience, summer has always been "rec season" for fall recruitment, but if that is changing, I'd love to know.

So -- what are the thoughts on this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The sororities will verify GPAs when the PNMs submit their actual recruitment applications, so I don't think submitting recs prior to spring grades is going to make or break a rec. I do think that it makes sense for the PNM's to wait to pull the trigger on their rec packets until they have their spring grades, for consistency's sake. Also, there are a ton of end of year awards and honors they may be able to add to their resumes to help them stand out.

The people sending in recs now are jumping the gun. IMHO. They may be early admission/early decision folks. A lot of students are still waiting to hear back on schools and won't decide where to send seat deposits for a while yet.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are writing a rec for girl who will be a sophomore or junior going through rush in the fall, it may not be too early... different situation than for an incoming freshman who has not completed high school.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM

I agree with thetalady - an early rec for a current student can put that PNM on a sorority's radar for the rest of this semester. I write a lot of recs too, and never send in freshman recs before June.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to disagree to some extent. If it's a school that has a preview weekend (like Alabama's in February) or "hometown parties" over the holidays (again like Alabama), it might be better to send them early for incoming freshmen. That gets the girl on the chapter's radar and they can be on the lookout for her when she comes to preview weekend or invite her to the hometown party. December may be early but you could at least let them know you are going to be doing one for Susie Snowflake so she can be invited.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Even in that situation, I wouldn't send a full rec with attachments etc. Maybe a letter or e-mail with a few references to awards, grades etc. But I wouldn't demand transcript photos & resume right now. Save your effort for the full deal with final grades and resume bling.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I do love the idea of a heads up that recs will be coming. I have several PNMs who will be attending previews at Alabama and Tennessee; I will also have some sophomores on this year's rec crew. All going to competitive schools -- would love to get them on the radar even though recs will likely arrive early summer.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW- UT-Austin...I believe most chapters want them by June 1. They usually just use through the fall semester of grades, and verify final grades later.