GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,154
0 members and 1,154 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quitting a Sorority from a different Council and Want to Join a Panhellenic Sorority?

Hi everyone! To remain anonymous, I am just going to say that I go to a state school in California, so here it goes: I wanted to be in greek life my freshmen year, and I was really interested in an Asian Sorority on campus (NOT PANHELLENIC). I ended up rushing for them because they related to me culturally and it was something I could do financially at the time. While I was pledging for them, I got hazed pretty badly (mentally and physically) but decided to suck it up because I was just in a state of cognitive dissonance in which I thought "the best things in life do not come easy". Even after being around for two pledge classes, I cannot take this anymore. The house that I am in is not what I wanted since I believe that girls should not be judged based on how well they do jumping jacks, but by how they are as a person. Anyway, my question is: Can I still join a Panhellenic sorority if I deactivate (quit) the one I'm currently in? I was never in the NPC sorority, so I should be fine, right?

I really enjoyed the Greek life social and community service aspect that I had gotten through the one I am in, but we didn't do enough of it. I realized that during rush they just put up a facade that as an Asian sorority they do that too, but when I was actually in it, they focused on pledging/hazing girls a lot more than anything else. I feel really bummed, but I still want to be involved in the greek community, just not this way.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you've never been initiated into an NPC sorority, you should be free to rush and pledge one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding.

Your current sorority has members who haze, leading me to think they are immature "mean girls." How do you think they will react to you leaving them for NPC? I am not saying you shouldn't do it because of them, but have you given thought to some of them harassing you about it? Just be prepared for that possibility. Best wishes to you and I hope you find a wonderful sisterhood within NPC!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Yes, the NPC rules allow the OP to join an NPC group. However...we can't tell you how this will actually be viewed by the NPC groups on your campus and whether or not you'd be eligible for membership in one.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

redelephant93, you should discuss the hazing with the Director of Greek Life at your university (even if it's after you go through Formal Recruitment with the NPC groups). Hazing should not be tolerated or perpetuated by any Greek group.

Last edited by ChioLu; 04-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an update, which has a happy ending to it (or at least I think so).

I told one of my dearest mentors who happened to be Panhellenic President in the past for our school about my situation. She told me to rush and I'll more than likely find the house that best fits what I want (my school is not as competitive with Greek life and those who do not get bids are the ones who do not take rush very seriously or just go because their friends are doing it). Also, I have a bunch of friends in different sororities who are telling me to go for it and that I would make a great active in another house. I'm keeping an open mind to every house since every person I met from different sororities has been so encouraging.

Personally, I think I would only tell on these people for what they did if they got in trouble again (they were in the past, but hid it well). I don't feel comfortable reporting it because I personally need time to heal. I probably will in the future if I hear something serious happen, but right now I just need this for myself.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

But thank you, everyone for your answers!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, greekdee, the friends I have in the sorority I am deactivating from understand the situation completely. I remain best friends with the ones that actually cared for me, so I am alright.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So glad to hear it! Best of luck during recruitment and I hope you find a great sisterhood in an NPC sorority!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard of this happening with Asian sororities at my school as well. It's kind of sad .

Like others said, I hope you will find what you are looking for in one of the NPC groups.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Would mentioning that OP was part of a different council but it just didn't work out worsen OP's chances rushing NPC Sororities?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah123 View Post
Would mentioning that OP was part of a different council but it just didn't work out worsen OP's chances rushing NPC Sororities?
It sounds like the system is small enough that everyone knows already anyway.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey you guys!

SO I thought I would update...two years later... I ended up joining another sorority on campus because of my good friend in Panhellenic! I am now in Kappa Alpha Theta and I am about to graduate! I am currently in love with my sorority and joining was one of my best college decisions - even if I was so late in the game. If you were in the same boat as me, please feel free to message me! I would be happy to give you my feedback!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, the chances of getting into an NPC sorority really depends on your school. My school's greek system is huge (like 3000 members) and the multicultural greek life is so tiny (like less than 25 per group)! No one really knows each other outside of the council, so people knowing me was not a problem.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to a lifetime of Theta membership. Better late than never!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Redelephant, thank you for returning and posting your happy ending!