GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,287
0 members and 1,287 guests
No Members online

Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Believe me, Twitter seemed to be used as much as Facebook this year to provide negative information on PNMs at the chapters I visited for recruitment.

Social media was the downfall for many PNMs...

I agree that more research should be done with Twitter information to make sure it is tracked to the right person.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
/small hijack

Ok, I didn't want a to start a new thread for this, but I did see this link on Twitter. It's the UT Police Blotter. This guy's writing is remarkably deadpan and funny...

www.tmdailypost.com/article/crime/book-em-horns-take-two
I get these e-mails daily since my daughter is a student at UT...whoever writes them is genius! I however would be horrified if my daughter's chapter was mentioned in one of them. Hopefully they are well versed on what not to say to the police.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who writes dozens of recs each summer and fall, I always check every possible social media outlet that a PNM might have- fb, t_witter, instagram, etc. To me, a clean or private account demonstrates at least some good judgment, and I will make special note of that. In rare instances, screenshots of necessary info from twitter have been included in my "Rec." As an alumna, I have never actually written a "no-rec." HOwever, on girls that I have serious reservations about, including documentation in the girls own words from their social media allows them to sink their own ship.

I always include t_witter usernames when I submit my recs, partially for the chapter to have a window into the PNM, and partially to avoid what is purported to have happened to the UT PNM referenced above.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Blondie93 I think that is a great idea! I write a lot of recommendations as well, sometimes for friends of friends and checking their social media would help a lot. I also think that if you tell the girls - that are asking for a recommendation or letter of support - to include their facebook, twitter account names, then they might clue in to the fact that they will be reviewed during recruitment.....
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek View Post
I'm actually kind of surprised anyone would look for a twitter because 1. the picture is tiny, even with an open profile 2. there's no background info on the PNM unless you want to take time reading all of their tweets and 3. people use twitter as an outlet to complain. Not exclusively to do so, but most girls have tweets about how hard their day was, how stupid boys are, or how ridiculous something someone is wearing is, etc. Most people follow corporate accounts and friends because they don't care that much what random things acquaintances have to say.
Still, of course it would be good to make sure yours is clean, but I don't think they're a good tool for actives to use in their "investigations."
They might be a good tool if you're on the fence about someone. Or if you know you'll have nearly 100% return acceptance rates and OMG PLEASE WE NEED TO DO SOME PRE-WEEDING SOME WAY SOME HOW SO WE'RE NOT HERE TILL 4 FREAKIN' AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This is why I am not a fan of PNMs making their social media private. Too much confusion can happen. It's better to have a limited searchable profile with a good photo so that it is clearly you. I don't think putting your social media links on applications, resumes etc. is the answer. It would be easy to set up classy account to show alumnae, chapters etc. while remaining awful on your real account.

I also wouldn't take an alumna's word on why she was cut. She wasn't in on MS and it's ridiculous to me that she would even tell someone's mother why her daughter was cut. At best it was second hand gossip. At worst it was made up to make you and your daughter feel better that it really wasn't about her as a person. Whatever the case, I am glad things worked out for her in the end.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0830 View Post
Hi,
I just wanted to update you all that a friend of mine, who is a writer from LA, and who is a native Texan, just finished recruitment coverage. Fortunately, she is pro-Greek and was at UT to cover recruitment for the entire period.
She is an alumna of an NPC group, was Jr. Panhellenic President and Panhellenic President in college. She was also tapped into Rho Lambda (Panhellenic Honorary) and Order of Omega. She was also voted outstanding Greek woman her senior year.
Unfortunately, she didn't receive any communication from Panhellenic for any statistical information after repeated requests. She also received a note from the Greek Life coordinator stating she would not help her either. She even had the police called on her when observing a sorority from a sidewalk, and not obstructing anyone or even speaking to anyone. The police told the girls that she has every right to be on a public sidewalk. This entire treatment of her was quite surprising, considering her credentials, and offer to work with Panhelllenic and the Greek Life office.
She covered all 8 days of recruitment and is completing her article, in part to check out the current state of affairs with the sororities. She will address the 'Big 5'. Rumor is one group has fallen from the 'elite' at this point. I find her to be very fair, and think this will be an entertaining, educational and informative story. I look forward to it. I think it will probably be in a magazine or Huffington Post as a story in a series format.

Bumping just to see if anyone knows if "Jen" actually wrote this article? Also, I wanted to bump it for any PNM's going through recruitment in 2013. There is some invaluable info in this thread, most notably a post written by Pineapple!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Does UT Panhellenic have access to the PNM's official high school transcripts on their official UT Admissions file for GPA verification after the PNM fills out the online recruitment registration? Or is it the GPA that the PMN types on the online registration form that all the active chapter members receive (without being verified)? I suppose their grades will be verified by recs and the transcripts that get sent along with the recs to the chapters anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM

^^^^Disclaimer: I did not go to UT. However, most schools all use the same recruitment computer system, which I have used. In my experience, the GPA that the PNM types in is ALWAYS verified by official transcripts. So yes, they have access.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

They generally report to the chapters the GPA of your core curriculum or whatever were accepted as college prep courses by the college or university you are attending.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it is verified.