GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,246
1 members and 1,245 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Recruitment LSU

Will be rushing as a Sophomore @ LSU. Very nervous because what I have read/heard, as a freshman it's very competitive. Curious as to how it will be as a sophomore. My hours may reflect I'm a Sophomore, but I have changed my major,therefore, I am a Freshman in my field of study. Are there quotas for sophomores? What are the GPA requirements? Are all sophomores recruited as that, sophomores, or recruited by where they attended HS? I ask, because as I understand and have read regarding freshman recruitment, there are quotas by "region", i.e. large city- BR/large city - NOLA/large city -Shreveport (etc.)/out of state/small town/etc. and each sorority can only take so many from each region. As I am from a small town and know many freshman from my area and other small towns that will be rushing and that limits the girls taken from my region. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM

There is no such thing as limiting the number of pledges from different regions. If that could be proven sororities would be in a huge amount of trouble.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no quota from towns but some sororities do have a lot of girls from certain areas because friends recruit friends. So when you look at the sororities it does seem like ABC is all girls from Baton Rouge, and CD is from Mandeville etc. But there are girls from all over the state and out of state in each sorority.
My daughter was from a very small town with only two girls from here high school that were involved in greek life at LSU and she did fine.
I do not know about grade requirements for sophomores but I do know grades are very important that for all the sororities so I would think a 3.5 at least would be required.
My daughter was a Phi Mu and she has said that did take a sophomore or two each pledge class but they were already friends with a lot of girls.
Hope that helps a little, if you have any other question you can ask but she graduated a few years ago so I might not have correct info for the current situation at LSu
Old 05-09-2017, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There will be a freshman quota and an upperclass quota. All sophomores and above are in the later group. Which one you fall in depends on how many hours LSU accepted. That will determine which group you fall into. The higher your grades, the better off you are. And the chapters are not required to do an upperclass quota. That's optional to participate in that.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

LSU did not have an upperclass quota when I worked with them a few years ago. Has something changed?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a sometimes thing. It's not required. I think a lot of campuses do it when they have a lot of upperclassmen going thru.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input and information.

Another question, what is the cut off date all recs need to be sent to each sorority? One rec is required, is it better to have 2? Or does it really matter, as long as you have 1 rec?

Last edited by PNMLSU; 05-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNMLSU View Post
Thanks for the input and information.

Another question, what is the cut off date all recs need to be sent to each sorority? One rec is required, is it better to have 2? Or does it really matter, as long as you have 1 rec?
I went to the LSU Panhellenic recruitment page. There is a lot of information there. Here's the link:

http://students.lsu.edu/panhellenic-...ty-recruitment

Hope that will answer many if not most of your questions. As for the number of recs, I will let LSU-familiar folks respond. Generally speaking, two (2) is a good number to have for competitive recruitments.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's a sometimes thing. It's not required. I think a lot of campuses do it when they have a lot of upperclassmen going thru.
But you replied to her like there was an upperclassman quota at LSU...which they have never had.

At LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn there are no upperclass quotas. As a sophomore, this PNM will need to have stellar grades and college activities to compete with all of the freshmen who have stellar grades and high school activities (and connections with sorority women on that campus will also help no matter a women's classification).

Alabama has an upperclass quota but some chapters choose not to take advantage of it.

Believe me, I am in favor of upperclass quotas, even if it is only 2-3 spots. Especially for campuses that have large numbers of students transferring from community colleges.

Last edited by ladybug12; 05-11-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: redundancy
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
But you replied to her like there was an upperclassman quota at LSU...which they have never had.

At LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn there are no upperclass quotas. As a sophomore, this PNM will need to have stellar grades and college activities to compete with all of the freshmen who have stellar grades and high school activities (and connections with sorority women on that campus will also help no matter a women's classification).

Alabama has an upperclass quota but some chapters choose not to take advantage of it.

Believe me, I am in favor of upperclass quotas, even if it is only 2-3 spots. Especially for campuses that have large numbers of students transferring from community colleges.
Ole Miss has a tiered quota now so they are an entirely different animal.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not an expert but I do not believe LSU has an upperclass quota. I have never seen it mentioned on the Greek life website and my daughter has never mentioned it. She did say tha they always took a few sophomores each year and maybe she just didn't pay much attention to the ends and out of it all.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ole Miss has a tiered quota now so they are an entirely different animal.
You are correct. Ole Miss used to have an upperclass quota but eliminated it a few years ago. Fall 2016 was the first year to use the variable quota system. I am not sure if it will be used again this fall.

Mississippi State also used the variable quota system this year.

I know that Arkansas has used this system for 3-4 years.

All of these campuses have recently added 2-3 NPC chapters on campuses that have 250-400+ women in each chapter and have large sorority houses. I think that the variable quota has been well used to help some chapters build their membership numbers. I am pretty sure that it has to be voted on year-to-year by the College Panhellenic Counsel, so it is not a permanent system on any campus.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, when do they have to make the choice to use it? Can they wait till after rush starts?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Out of curiosity, when do they have to make the choice to use it? Can they wait till after rush starts?
They do it before recruitment starts. But I guess they could decide to do it during though that could be confusing to all.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Curious if it is appropriate to list cousins on my resume that are current/alumni fraternity/sorority members as I don't have aunts/uncles that are former members?

Any suggestions to make my resume stand out?

Last edited by PNMLSU; 06-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.