GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,320
0 members and 1,320 guests
No Members online

Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting facts about your school

Does your school have any interesting facts? The school I'm starting in January was apparently used as a set for the old Degrassi series in the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Robert E. Lee is buried on campus

Kappa Alpha Order was founded here

We are the 9th oldest college in the nation, founded in 1749
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Cleveland State University's College of Urban Affairs Graduate School is ranked second in the nation behind University of Kansas.

We're currently operating two seperate and successful academic centers in the greater Cleveland area ( Solon and Westlake) for those who like to take classes close to home.

College of Urban Affairs is home to the "Leadership : Cleveland "Program that trains people who are involved in Public Policy.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:35 PM

* Home of the Liquid Crystal Institute. The only Liquid Crystal program of it's kind in the U. S. I'm sure.

*The only school in the US with black squirrels.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Unregistered-

The University of Hawai`i system is comprised of 10 campuses.

Gilligan's Island is part of the University of Hawai`i campus. It's actually Coconut Island, and it was used in the opening credits of the show. Coconut Island houses one of the premier marine biology programs in the country.

The observatory atop the Mauna Kea volcano is also part of the system.

The University of Hawai`i system also awarded the nation's first master's degree in an indigenous language was the first institution to successfully clone multiple mammalian generations starting with Cumulina, the mouse.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
Hmmmmmmmmmm...

well at apsu all the buildings on campus are named after former governors - hence the "governor" as the mascot

and here at western kentucky, we've got white squirrels.

marissa
A GD
Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Robert E. Lee is buried on campus

Kappa Alpha Order was founded here

We are the 9th oldest college in the nation, founded in 1749
I absolutely LOVE your campus!! Traveller's grave is so cool!

Until the early 1970's, Pitt's Cathedral of Learning was the tallest educational building in the world. It's NOT truly gothic architecture, as some will say, as there are steel girder reinforcing the stone. Also, it was NOT built from the top down. Chancellor Bowman did have the steel superstructure built for all 42 floors (535 feet tall), so the Board of Trustees couldn't halt the project. One of the ways they cut down on the costs was by having various ethnic groups in Pittsburgh design and pay for a Nationality Classroom, as at the time, there were more diverse nationalities in Pittsburgh than any other American cities other than New York. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. You can see the Official site of the Nationality Classrooms here.

(Yes, I was a tour hostess!)
Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile University of St. Andrews

St. Andrews is the oldest uni in Scotland, and has a lot of stories and traditions that go with it. The castle and cathedral in town also have their own associated stories and legends.

~ Perfecting Procrastination since 1413! Some of the buildings around town date from the mid-16th century, including St. Salvator's Chapel and St. Mary's College.

~ Our school song is still in Latin, the Gaudeamus.

~ There is set of initials outside of St. Salvator's Chapel, PH, which stand for Patrick Hamilton, the first protestant martyr of the Scottish Reformation who was burned on that spot. Legend has it that if you step on them, you won't get your degree.

~ Students (mostly undergrads) still wear their bright red academic gowns on a fairly regular basis. It's rare, but sometimes you see a graduate or a postgrad in the black gown or a PhD in the lovely blue gown.

~ Every Sunday after chapel services, students (and some faculty!) walk out onto the pier and back in academic dress. It's an old stone pier and the highest bit is also the narrowest and farthest out. (I have yet to do it...)

~ We have many other strange traditions including Raisin Weekend and the May Morning Dip.

~ John Cleese (from Monty Python, or more recently Nearly Headless Nick from Harry Potter) used to the be the Rector here.

~ And last but not least, Prince William is a student here (4th year).

I could go on and on about St. Andrews, it's great studying here! Cheers!

ShyViolet
Old 12-16-2004, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of St. Andrews

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyViolet
St. Andrews is the oldest uni in Scotland, and has a lot of stories and traditions that go with it. The castle and cathedral in town also have their own associated stories and legends.
You go to St. Andrews? My old roommate and sorority sister is a grad student there! She tells me funny stories about Prince William all the time

Elon University means "Oak" in Hebrew. It's one of few universities named after a Hebrew word. The campus was used in "He Got Game." We used to have the #1 study abroad program in the country... ours is still good, but our percentage can't compete with schools like Kalamazoo.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jwoods9 Send a message via Yahoo to jwoods9
Rutgers...

I must disagree with the person who stated their University is the 9th oldest and was established in the 1740's.....

- Rutgers is the 8th oldest University in what is now the U.S. and was established in 1766....

- The first intercollegiate football game was "On the Banks" between Rugers and Princetons....guess who won???

- The Ivy League was started as a football league between some of the oldest universities....apparently a comment was made that it was more entertaining watching the ivy grow on the walls than watch the games....Rutgers never attained full membership once the Ivy League became official b/c by that time it had become a state school.

- Rutgers used to be "Queens College" before the Revolution...our sister school was "Kings College" now known as Columbia University

- Rutgers has the 2nd largest bus system in the nation (Disney World is #1)

- We have an ongoing rivalry with Princeton with our cannons...apparently there was some mischief and misunderstanding and a lot of stealing of cannons. To solve the problem, both schools have matching cannons buried face down in concrete on their campuses....each year some Knights go down to Princetown and paint their cannon scarlet....or cover it in ketchup....whichever works best at the time...

- Grease trucks.....the Fat Darrel was named the Best Sandwich of 2004, I forget by whom....and you can only find it on The Banks...nothing like a Fat Anything at 2 in the morning...

I've got a million, but I'll stop at that for now...

Last edited by jwoods9; 12-16-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

hum...
Beloit is the oldest (continuing) college north west of the mississippi. (Techinally Carroll college got their charter a few months before we did, but our classes opened in fall of 1846, Carroll did not open for classes for another 10 years or so)

One of our most famous alums, Roy Chapman Andrews, was the model for Indiana Jones. (He discovered the first dinosaur egg, thus proving that dinosaurs were reptiles, not mammals, though this is now under review)

Our Anthro Museum's base collection was given to us by Marshall Field (yes, he's more than a great store). He bought the collection, half to create the Chicago Field Museum, the other half
The first known black woman was initiated into DG on our campus. (The charter was then pulled)

We are in the top five schools for student satisfaction

We rank in the top schools were people ignore God

Finally, we were kicked out of the mid-west athletic conference because our basketball team was so good. We then stopped recruiting the best basketball players.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Our campus used to be a golf course.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of St. Andrews

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyViolet

~ Our school song is still in Latin, the Gaudeamus.

My high school's hymn is also called Gaudeamus. We sang it at the opening of each term as well as at the school's Commemoration Day. The music was written as a gift to the school in 1917 when we celebrated our 50th anniversary.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Xylochick, what does your sister study? I'm a grad student as well! I've only met one other greek here, a KA that lives in my building.

~ShyViolet
Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Northern Arizona University:

-Tallest Building in Northern Arizona
-The feather in "Forest Gump" was dropped from the top of the same building
-It shows up in the game Trival Pursuit, as being the campus surrounded by the most cemeteries...
-The J.L. Walkup Skydome is the second largest clear-span timber dome in the world
-The main campus sits at an elevation of over 7,000 ft
-On campus is the High Altitude Sports Training Complex, which is an official U.S. Olympic Training Site...Visiting athletes come from such countries as Germany, Australia, Japan, Italy, Russia, The Netherlands, Brazil, and many more, including the U.S.

Those are all the facts I can think of off the top of my head...