GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,349
0 members and 1,349 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Updates on the whole college admissions business

Hey GCers,

Well, I received some emails asking me to update you all on how everything is going for me college-admissions wise. So far, I've only heard from one school, my safety, where I got in. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, especially my top three choices. I've been busy checking the UCI website daily, where they're supposed to post my admission decision. Unfortunately, they still haven't done so, being that they decide on a rolling basis (unfortunately i sent in my app on the last day). So far, I've already checked the UCI website close to a total of 30 times! Lots of my friends have already been accepted. It's very nerve-wracking to hear about all those acceptances, being that I still don't know. I'm happy for them, but at the same time, I'm jealous too (does that make sense?). They don't even want to go to UCI. I should hear from UCSB and USC mid-March or later in the month. Hopefully sooner than later. I'd rather hear sooner just b/c if I'm not to get in, than I can rule out those choices and stop thinking so much about those schools! I just want peace of mind, I guess.

In other news, I have total senioritis. I'm so behind in all my subjects! It's horrible, i have two major tests on thursday and I know absolutely nothing about the subject material!

Oh well, I do love being a senior though . I'm finally realizing how close graduation is and I'm a bit scared, yet sooo excited. I can't believe I've made it so far!

Well, I'll update again after I know more news! Thanks so much for all the support (you guys know who you are) you've given to me throughout this whole process. I can't thank you all enough!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2002, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey newbie,

Good to hear from you! I know how you feel about the college admissions process ... not knowing where you stand can be extremely nerve-wracking! We're all thinking about you, and our fingers are crossed. Keep us updated, sweetie.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Congratulations on your college acceptance! I hope that it is the first of many! So many wonderful things will happen for you in the next few weeks. Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Dear Newbie,

We're pullin' for ya! You have all the prayers of my family too. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes, DZRose, Cream, and Carnation . They mean so much to me, b/c March is a very stressful time (and to think this is only the 5th of March!) and everything is so up in the air right now. I hate that! I like being in control .

Ha...I checked the UCI website just now for the FOURTH time today at school. I really have to stop. I just really wish I could know! Good or bad...just so I feel calmer.

Carnation, please please PM me to update me on how your daughters are doing. I would love to talk to them also! I'm sure your family is going through the same stress right now. I hope all is well with your family!!!

Thanks again everyone...it means a LOT!
Old 03-05-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Newbie,

Thanks for keeping us posted and congratulations on being accepted to your safety school! I was so excited when I got my first college acceptance b/c it meant I was actually going somewhere. Yippee! I still remember that feeling. I had it again when I got my first law school acceptance except that I cried that time b/c I was SO nervous that I wouldn't get into a single one of the 14 schools I applied to. LOL. I am the stress queen!

Anyway, if you need to vent you know we are always here. It's hard with rolling admissions not knowing when you're going to hear when your friends have already heard.

I'll be thinking of you!

Laura
Old 03-05-2002, 05:33 PM

Hey Newbie,

This must be "Professor Murphy's Law."

Our son has been admitted to the college and department he wants at his "safety" school as you put it.

He's been admitted to the Honors College, but not the program he wants at his number one choice.

No word from numbers two and three.

Then, out of the blue, comes a really amazing scholarship offer from a school he didn't even apply to -- for all intents and purposes a full ride academic scholarship. But he will have to apply for the department there.

Go figure.

Well, anyway, congratulations on your first acceptance, and good luck on the others.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:30 PM

Good luck, Newbie! I hope you end up at your first choice! We are all pulling for you. And, just think, only about 5 months until you get to deal with rush! (sorry, couldn't resist! )
Old 03-06-2002, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much Laura, DeltAlum, and Tracy!!

This is absolutely horrible. I'm completely obsessed with checking that UCI website. Well, I kept a mental count...I"ve already checked it ten times today! I'm just so scared and I just want to know so badly.

In fact, I've been comparing my own stats with those of my friends who were accepted (grades, SAT scores, extracurriculars, etc.). Terrible, I know. I don't know WHY I'm being so obsessive about this...all my friends are telling me to take it easy and just calm down. But, each passing day, I'm becoming more freaked out that I won't get in. I'm finding flaws in my essay, wishing that I had done better on my SATs, wishing that I had taken more APs, etc.

I know, I just have to BREATHE!!!

Two of my friends who have around the same stats as me got in, but I'm just terrified because I absolutely bombed my third SAT II subject test. Horrible results! I'm just hoping that some way, some how I can get in...

I'm sorry to write with such a panicky mood!!! Thank you all for listening and posting .

Well, now I actually have to start my homework which I haven't been doing for more than a week! Yikes!! I never thought that such a bad case of senioritis could happen to me.

P.S. Laura, so sorry...I will send you a nice, long email soon! Probably on Thursday (since I will be finished with my two big tests then)! Tracy, how did the Rosebud Salve go?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Try to remember that things will work out and they are out of your hands now. I know it is difficult when you are a control freak (speaking from experience here) but you turned in your apps and now the only thing you can do other than checking the website and mailbox is wait, wait, wait. You will make it through. I promise.

Don't worry about writing to me. Do your homework, go running, hang out with friends. Do things that will take your mind off of those pesky letters you are waiting for.

That being said, I hope you get the letters you want soon!

Laura
Old 03-10-2002, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking I'M SOUTHERN-CALIFORNIA BOUND!!!!!!!!

I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!
I GOT INTO UC IRVINE!!

I'm just sooooo stoked right now. I checked about half an hour ago, not expecting anything, since it's a weekend and I don't think the Admissions Office works on weekends. I was sad that on Friday, I had checked, and nothing was up. I thought, "Well, I guess my decision will be posted on the 15th..." So I checked today just for fun. Well, right when I saw the words "admitted" and "congratulations," I just about shook the house by screaming and jumping up and down LOL. Then I proceeded to call my friends who were alerady admitted and then yell their ears off .

Well, thanks for all your support everyone!! I'm still waiting on USC and UCSB, but I can't tell you how stoked I am to be Southern-California bound -- that was my dream right from the beginning!!! I can now breathe a HUGE sigh of relief that I have indeed reached my goal!!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Thumbs up

Newbie,
Congratulations! That is the best news! Enjoy it!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:14 PM

Congrats!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs up

Congratulations Car!

I wasn't able to read this thread until today...and I am so happy that you got into UCI!

Great job!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

CONGRATULATIONS, CAR!

I knew you would do it!!!! This is just the first of the many, many acceptance letters that will be finding their way to your doorstep!

When can I pencil you in for dinner with us?