GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,003
0 members and 1,003 guests
No Members online

Old 07-18-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Organ/ Marrow Donations

Have you ever considered becoming a donor?

Are you a donor?

Do you know of anyone who has been a recipient or is in need of a transplant?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

In death, I am an organ donor, yes. In life, only for my family.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: home of the nation's highest car insurance rates :(
Send a message via Yahoo to stillwater15
how ironic that i'm sitting here wearing a t-shirt, which asks, " r u an organ & tissue donor?" when God calls me home, they can have whatever parts of my body may prove useful to someone else.

i have a friend who, in her early 20s, had a kidney transplant. in transporting her to and from north jersey to philly (hospital), for various appointments, it was truly a humbling experience. i thought once she had the transplant, it had a "lifetime warranty". little did i know that she'll probably have a next transplant, given her age, at the time of the initial transplant.

i urge all to seriously consider donating their organs &/or tissue. in nj, the # to call is 800.sharenj
Old 07-21-2002, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been an organ donor for a long time. Like Stillwater15 said, when GOD calls me home, I pray that my organs can help someone else.

I am also registered on the African American Bone marrow registry.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
I am an organ donor. I feel that if my child needed an organ, I would certainly want somebody's gift of life for her.

My husband doesn't agree. He is not an organ donor, which is ironic. His sister was at the top of the donor list, neglected to attend to her "pre-transplant" counseling, and was booted to the bottom of the list. She died while trying to work her way back up to the top. My husband has issues with organ doning because of that. He blames the process, I blame his sister. (God rest her soul).
Old 07-23-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i'm a donor, i would give anything for my family of course
Old 07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ambitious1
I am on the national bone marrow registery, and I filled out the little sticker on the back on my license indicating that I would like to be an organ donor. I also made sure that my loved ones were aware of my decision to be an organ donor.

After my time here on earth is over I won't be needing them anymore, so if I can help someone have a longer and healthier life why not.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Nelly's Sister In Dire Need Of Donor And Bone Marrow Transplant
Thu May 8,12:00 AM ET

LAUNCH Radio Networks

The sister of superstar rapper Nelly is in immediate need of a bone marrow transplant. Both the rapper and his sister, Jackie Donahue, will be heading a nationwide awareness and recruitment effort to find a donor.

The campaign they've launched is called Jes Us 4 Jackie. With it, they hope to increase the donor numbers on the National Marrow Donor Program Registry and to specifically find a donor for Jackie.

Nelly and Donahue will hold a press conference on May 14 at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to share Donahue's plight and provide information about the disease.

On June 21, Jes Us 4 Jackie will be sponsoring a nation-wide donor drive for patients in need of bone marrow transplants. The event will target New York, St. Louis, and Los Angeles and specifically look for more African-American donors and donors of mixed heritage.

Also on June 21, the 4 Sho 4 Kids Foundation will sponsor the cost of the test that's required to join the registry as well as the educational materials for all potential donors. Donors must be between 18 and 60 years old.

For more information or to make a monetary contribution, please visit jesus4jackie.com or marrow.org.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
I had an uncle (on my father's side) who passed recently. He had his body donated to Howard University's Medical School.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If you'll please pardon the intrusion for a minute I'd like to add my 2 cents to this to point out how urgent the need is for bone marrow donors. (Before my current position at MDACC, I worked as a MUD coordinator/research asst. in the Bone Marrow Transplant unit.)

Unlike other "solid" organs bone marrow must come from a living donor. The extraction procedure is not comfortable, to be sure, but the risk is less than an "open" operation. The tissue matching process is a simple blood test.

The need is all the more urgent for African American donors because there is a HUGE amount of genetic diversity in this ethnic group--more so than any other on the planet. If an AfAm patient does not have a relative who is a tissue match and is capable of giving, their chances of finding a MUD (Matched Unrelated Donor) plummet.

There's more information here: www.marrow.org

And feel free to email or PM for more information.

Thanx for reading my rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
Nelly's Sister In Dire Need Of Donor And Bone Marrow Transplant
Thu May 8,12:00 AM ET

LAUNCH Radio Networks

The sister of superstar rapper Nelly is in immediate need of a bone marrow transplant. Both the rapper and his sister, Jackie Donahue, will be heading a nationwide awareness and recruitment effort to find a donor.

The campaign they've launched is called Jes Us 4 Jackie. With it, they hope to increase the donor numbers on the National Marrow Donor Program Registry and to specifically find a donor for Jackie.

Nelly and Donahue will hold a press conference on May 14 at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to share Donahue's plight and provide information about the disease.

On June 21, Jes Us 4 Jackie will be sponsoring a nation-wide donor drive for patients in need of bone marrow transplants. The event will target New York, St. Louis, and Los Angeles and specifically look for more African-American donors and donors of mixed heritage.

Also on June 21, the 4 Sho 4 Kids Foundation will sponsor the cost of the test that's required to join the registry as well as the educational materials for all potential donors. Donors must be between 18 and 60 years old.

For more information or to make a monetary contribution, please visit jesus4jackie.com or marrow.org.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up National Bone Marrow Registry

I am a registered bone marrow donor--to register, all I had to do was go to get my blood taken, and they screened it. The process was very easy--which makes it sadder that more people aren't in the registry. My health insurance will pay for all transplant-related costs if I am selected as a donor, and most major policy holders will as well. Schools and employers will often award paid vacation for the time it takes to just to go in for the blood screening.