GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 2,121
1 members and 2,120 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 03-19-2024, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
If the “female influencer” referenced is Lucy Taylor, her project started in 2020, I believe. She’s been discussing UMD Greek life publicly for years now.

Her content is hit or miss. Some of it is really well done and educational and some of it- the only way I can sum it up is it just sounds like a bunch of Gen Z Problems/Complaints.

She didn’t start the fire here (as BJ would say). But, once it was burning, she made sure to put her face out there to promote her content.
I checked out a bunch of her content. She comes across as very snarky. It's one thing to want to expose what you feel are wrongs; but, she does a lot of it with a smirk and a snotty tone of voice. That right there loses a lot of credibility with me. It come across as personal issues and sour grapes.

And, by the way, if her Alpha Phi chapter didn't approve of people posting photos of their backsides in a bikini (the pic wasn't that bad, but the chapter allegedly objected) then thems the rules. She doesn't have to participate if that's not her style. No need to go all drama queen about it. Based on the argumentative and snotty demeanor she presents online, I have a feeling she gave a lot of lip to the chapter and it went down hill from there.

I think she's just doing all of this to find a niche so that she can become Insta famous.

True and Constant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2024, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Her podcasts on sexual assault were really eye opening and insightful. If she has an axe to grind, it probably comes from her own experience in this area and the real lack of support she felt from anyone connected to Greek life.

The issue she claims with standards is that the “rules” are not universally enforced. While I don’t claim to know if this is true in her case, it’s something that happens in most other environments to a certain extent- workplaces, teams, even noise complaints. It’s certainly feasible that it would happen in this environment.

Her podcast never really took off in three seasons so I doubt it’s ever going to break through now.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Update from Maryland Administration:
https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...g-allegations/
Old 04-05-2024, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

From Delta Gamma Executive Offices today:

Yesterday, April 4, 2024, a coalition of six current students and the Gamma Mu Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta filed a lawsuit seeking declaratory judgment against administrators at the University of Maryland following an investigation into broad and unspecified allegations of misconduct targeted at all Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council (IFC) chapters. Fraternal organizations believe this approach by the university infringed upon students’ rights and well-being, interfered with students’ rights to free expression, as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, and threatened the integrity of sorority life.

We appreciate the courage of the women of Kappa Alpha Theta to lead this effort as many organizations with chapters at the University of Maryland, like Delta Gamma, discussed this option but due to various situational facts and student concern about retaliation from the University, determined they could not formally participate at this time.

Below is background on the situation at the University of Maryland that will help provide some context:

On March 1, following undocumented and vague allegations of misconduct and concerns of perceived imminent threats of harm to student safety, the university suspended all new member activities and social events for campus Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Association member organizations. The university also issued a No Contact Order which banned all IFC and Panhellenic organization members from having any contact with any new member or prospective new member — which without exceptions identified, included biological siblings, roommates, classmates, coworkers, etc.
Following the university’s March 1 decision, the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) attempted to partner with university officials. This attempt was unsuccessful, and the university failed to provide any answers.
At this time and in the weeks following, the university failed to communicate transparently about the alleged incidents of misconduct and denied students’ their First and Fourteenth Amendment rights. In addition, the university required students from all IFC and Panhellenic chapters to participate in mandatory interrogation by hired attorneys or potentially face disciplinary action.
On March 5, the university modified the overbroad No Contact Order but continued to prohibit any conversation between members and new members about chapter business and activities at a time when almost all initiations had been postponed due to the university’s suspension of activities and housing contracts were to be signed for the 2024-25 academic year.
On March 8, the university stated that “no single or specific incident led to the decision” to suspend social activities and new member recruitment activities.
On March 15, the university reinstated activities for all 16 campus Panhellenic sororities based on zero allegations of misconduct concerning any of the organizations.
At the end of April, representatives from the National Panhellenic Conference will travel to the University of Maryland to meet with collegiate Panhellenic and chapter leaders and local alumnae to provide additional detail on the situation and local impact and communicate the ongoing support from all 26 NPC member organizations.
As you can imagine, the past month has been incredibly stressful on the Panhellenic community at the University of Maryland. And amid the stressful investigation that ultimately cleared all 16 sororities of any wrongdoing, sorority women were deprived of their core support system.

But the actions taken by the University of Maryland cast a shadow that extends beyond the campus and onto sorority life across the country. It is imperative that all organizations stand together to protect students’ rights and well-being and discourage this broad action from occurring on other campuses.

We understand you may have questions about the situation at the University of Maryland and the broader impact on our organization and sorority life. You can reach out to us with your questions by emailing DG-EO@deltagamma.org. You may also follow the progress of the legal action here on a webpage hosted by the National Panhellenic Conference.

Additionally, you should know that NPC continues to lead advocacy efforts to pass federal legislation that would prevent university actions like this in the future. Since 2016, and the attempt from Harvard to make our organizations co-ed, there has been bipartisan activity to protect the association rights of our organizations and individual members.

We will keep you abreast of new developments. As always, we are committed to preserving the health, safety and well-being of all sorority women while also preserving the future of our fraternal organizations.

ITB,

Fraternity President Dr. Amy R. Ayres, Alpha Iota-Oklahoma

Fraternity Executive Director Tracey Doebling Williams, Beta Sigma-Maryland
Old 04-05-2024, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I received the same email this morning Titchou.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, go Thetas! You guys rock! I appreciate that they've stepped up on behalf of all of us. They're a good choice because they've been around the block with Harvard recently.

This infringement on students' rights has got to end at these universities. They should know better. Shame on them.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Absolutely unbelievable. If this doesn't impact their enrollment I'll be shocked.

PS: these kids need to learn they can't search your phone if you don't have it with you.
They can't search your phone without a warrant.

That's the lesson that needs to be learned here.

The real tragedy is that there has to be some level of trust and professionalism between the Greek orgs on campus and the administration. If you violate that, then you're forcing everything underground.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-16-2024, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Just reviewed the thread. I'm not sure why the school would target only NIC and NPC organizations. It's not as if our groups have any kind of monopoly on hazing. I hope this lawsuit progresses and isn't simply withdrawn after the school backs off. There needs to be a serious price to pay and I hope they make an example of this administration. Hold one of these clowns personally liable for violating the civil rights of students and maybe we'll see administrators think again.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
They can't search your phone without a warrant.

That's the lesson that needs to be learned here.

The real tragedy is that there has to be some level of trust and professionalism between the Greek orgs on campus and the administration. If you violate that, then you're forcing everything underground.
Everything already is being done underground for the purpose of hazing. When organizations stop hazing (across the board), then I think that would be the first step to building trust between the two. Until that happens, forget it.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Everything already is being done underground for the purpose of hazing. When organizations stop hazing (across the board), then I think that would be the first step to building trust between the two. Until that happens, forget it.
"When ________ people stop committing crimes, that would be the first step to law enforcement searching them and harming them without any particularized suspicion."

Yeah... that's not how anything works.

"Everything is already being done underground" is what you say about UMD. How do you know that is true? And even if it was, how can you ever justify one person of a group being guilty of something means that you can automatically suspect and even penalize others in that group?

If the band hazes, do we suspend field hockey team?