GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,217
Threads: 114,828
Welcome to our newest member, EthelO549

Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Today makes it 4 months cigarette/tobacco free. I still have to battle the urges every single day. I would love one day without these cravings.
Way to go! You rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I don't like kids and don't want none. So why do I have to pay for someone else's kids? I'm just tired of going grocery shopping, standing in line behind a couple with a bunch of kids, and pregnant. The bill comes up to $500.00 and then they pull out electronic food stamps to pay for it. Then the cashier says, "Your new total is $3.47." That pisses me off. How do you continue to have kids when you couldn't afford to feed the first one you had?
Bad things happen to people all the time. While there are plenty of people who abuse the system, I am glad that we live in a country that has a safety net and that people (and especially children who don't ask to be born) don't have to starve to death. My husband and I both lost our jobs within 6 months of each other when our daughter was not even one year old yet. We were both out of work for about eight months. I got re-employed first, and it took him two years to find anything. We did not have to go on public assistance, but we could have gotten there with a little more time without me working. We were able to manage on unemployment benefits and by cleaning out our savings. I would not have chosen that time to plan to have another child, but accidents do happen. It doesn't take long for a relatively stable existence to become very unstable very quickly.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Congratulations on your success so far! It'll get easier over time.
Thanks. I just wish I knew when it was going to feel easier because fighting this battle every single day is really exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post

Just a few final adjustments and I'm done with my thesis and Grad school. About freakin' time but just so glad I'll have a Masters degree. Now I "just" need to find a new job. It's not that I'm unemployed, but just quite underemployed.
Great Job! Start looking for that new job! I bet something fantastic is right around the corner for you

I really think we should be hibernating for the winter. Seriously. This is two brutal winters in a row and I hate it.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I really think we should be hibernating for the winter. Seriously. This is two brutal winters in a row and I hate it.
Amen to that! My husband was home with another snow day today. I said, "you know, this would be beautiful if we could just sit in front of the fireplace with a good book all winter...."

He gave up tobacco 24 years ago. He used the patch, which helped a lot. He said it took about a year to really get over the cravings, the routine changes, etc. After that, it was easier. Keep it up! You can do it!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Today is the start of selection for NODA. I swear it must be like waiting to hear for a bid, because I (and my classmates) have been on pins and needles all day! Some got their top pick. Others haven't heard.

I only got interviewed for 2 positions, but they were my top 2. I havent heard anything and it's almost COB. Im telling myself it's not the end of the world if I don't get picked but... yeah.
I praaaaaay for you, you praaaaaay for me!

DUDE. We are so --->here.<--- "Bid Day" for me is Friday. In 32 hours 54 minutes and 53 seconds to be exact. The anxiety is killing me. If I don't get an internship, I can't graduate. And my supervisor felt the need to remind me that 25% of applicants won't match just due to the national shortage of spots alone. THANKS MAN. EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I recently finished reading The Girl on the Train.

This was the author's debut novel (Paula Hawkins), and I'm looking forward to seeing what else she puts out there. It was definitely a quick read, and I really enjoyed it. It irritates me that it gets compared to Gone Girl, which I didn't particularly enjoy.

What to read next... ??
Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Chinese New Year/Happy Fiftieth Day of The Year.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

15 hours and 2 minutes.....I'm getting excited. I feel pretty calm at the moment, I think it's gonna be good news.

ETA: 6 hours and 44 minutes...a little more nervous but glad my classmates and I decided to have a slumber party. None of us are sleeping tonight (clearly) so it's great to have company. And movies. And chocolate.

Last edited by StealthMode; 02-20-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It's official… My job is transferring me to… Hawaii!

@~/~~~~
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
^^^The weather there is DIVINE. Congrats, ASTalumna!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

This has been one loooooooong day of celebrating! I want to scream it from the rooftops: I MATCHED!!! INTERNSHIP, HERE I COME!!!

CONGRATS to ASTalumna as well! I'm so happy for you!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

Biological Sex = Chromosomes, hormones, body types

Gender = Socially created and based on exaggerated and misinterpreted biological differences (and downplaying biological similarities).

Gender identities and gender categories have evolved in some societies over the years. Yet, unfortunately, most societies insist on only having two gender categories. Patriarchy and sexism result in human-created gender nonsense on a daily basis. This is a more extreme everyday example of what some people think are the differences between women and men: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...deal-them.html

There's really not a big difference between women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia and what I hear Americans say all day, everyday about girls/women and boys/men. It is impossible to dismiss the Saudi Arabian gender extremes without challenging the overall structure and everyday illustrations of traditional gender in every society. All of this is about humans creating, perpetuating, and teaching what they (incorrectly) consider to be an accurate depiction of girls, boys, women, and men. It makes no sense to accept traditional gender definitions and then be shocked by extremists.

Last edited by DrPhil; 02-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you meant to post that in D&R Random, Doc Phil!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

No, I meant to post that in this thread. It would be wasted in that other thread.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
It makes no sense to accept traditional gender definitions and then be shocked by extremists.
Amen.

But I still want to kick that Saudi asshat where it hurts.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Amen.

But I still want to kick that Saudi asshat where it hurts.
Amen again.

Did you hear about the woman arrested for driving?