GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,474
0 members and 1,474 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
No problem!

I'd forgotten that I had transferred all the files from the Panhel site I'd created to my personal server after I graduated. Some of the houses are so difficult to photo because of trees and angles, these don't really do them justice. As much as I loved my house, I was jealous of ADPi's courtyard, Chi O's columns, Sig Kap's balcony and Gamma Phi's big, old doors. I think all the old fraternity and sorority houses have so much character.
Very true, I remember thinking that ADPi's courtyard was very cool when I went thru Rush, and the view from SK's balcony overlooking their first floor was pretty. I also liked just about everyone else's dining room better than ours because ours seemed to be "pansy overkill" in my opinion. I love pansies as much as the next Theta (and Tri-Delt) but I still feel like they're multiplying on the wallpaper. I enivied all the houses with air-conditioned cold airs (obviously not visible from the photos) but something my house didn't acquire until I was gone. Oh well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2004, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluefish81
Very true, I remember thinking that ADPi's courtyard was very cool when I went thru Rush, and the view from SK's balcony overlooking their first floor was pretty. I also liked just about everyone else's dining room better than ours because ours seemed to be "pansy overkill" in my opinion. I love pansies as much as the next Theta (and Tri-Delt) but I still feel like they're multiplying on the wallpaper. I enivied all the houses with air-conditioned cold airs (obviously not visible from the photos) but something my house didn't acquire until I was gone. Oh well.
But you have that pretty stained glass window, don't you?

No cold airs, we slept in our rooms. And at least you didn't have pale blue and pink peacocks and big flowers in your entry (and formal living room.) I really hope they have that area redone!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

By cold airs I'm guessing you mean sleeping porches. ?? Those are a foreign concept here in North Carolina, or at least NCSU. I had not heard of that until our Nat'l Consultant visited and told us about them. Are sleeping porches more common in the North and Midwest?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Pi Phi Girl!

Quote:
Originally posted by PiPhiGirl2005
Here are pics of all the houses here at Hillsdale:
My Dad lived in this house!
Delta Sigma Phi:

My brother lived in this house!
Sigma Chi:

My Mom lived in this house (it's so beautiful inside, too!)
Kappa:

Just thought I'd share that with you!
OH, and I lived here for 2 years (not the Chi O house at Hillsdale, but at my alma matter Western Michigan)
Old 05-27-2004, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
But you have that pretty stained glass window, don't you?

No cold airs, we slept in our rooms. And at least you didn't have pale blue and pink peacocks and big flowers in your entry (and formal living room.) I really hope they have that area redone!
Yes, we do have the stain glass windows with the kites in them. I think our formal living room looks very "dated" though. The pastel pretty much scream, "Welcome to the late 80s/early 90s," I think remodeling ours is still a few years off though, we're focusing on other stuff this year instead.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KellyB369
By cold airs I'm guessing you mean sleeping porches. ?? Those are a foreign concept here in North Carolina, or at least NCSU. I had not heard of that until our Nat'l Consultant visited and told us about them. Are sleeping porches more common in the North and Midwest?
I guess they would be similar to sleeping porches. I don't know how common they are anymore, I think they're starting to become a thing of the past. Basically it's a large room, (ours took up an entire wing on our third floor) and the beds are bunked and in rows. We had 54 beds in ours. The windows are open year round - which sounds crazy, but it's not bad. Generally in the winter time, they are only left open a crack and most people have electric blankets, down comforters, etc. Some people even sleep with stocking hats on and stuff. I really enjoyed it, but it did take a little bit of getting used to.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of sleeping porches in NC, my mother was a Kappa at UNC and used to rave about how great their sleeping porch was! I'm guessing they probably don't still have it but once upon a time they did!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Quote:
Originally posted by bluefish81
I guess they would be similar to sleeping porches. I don't know how common they are anymore, I think they're starting to become a thing of the past. Basically it's a large room, (ours took up an entire wing on our third floor) and the beds are bunked and in rows. We had 54 beds in ours. The windows are open year round - which sounds crazy, but it's not bad. Generally in the winter time, they are only left open a crack and most people have electric blankets, down comforters, etc. Some people even sleep with stocking hats on and stuff. I really enjoyed it, but it did take a little bit of getting used to.
LOL, I have been there, doing the waking up function for our Greek Week. It was a lot more crowded than our cold airs.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

HA! Probably so, but is your fraternity like a lot of them where there's cold airs on different floors? (One of the fraternities that I lived in over my summers had cold airs on both 2nd and 3rd). I did wake-ups at your house (probably before your time) when we did GW w/ your chapter in 1999. And yeah, we've got them packed in there don't we? The main aisle is wide, but between the beds basically accomodates a person across without any extra space.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Most of the IU sorority houses have cold air/warm air dorms. The only ones I know of where everyone sleeps in their rooms are AEPhi, ZTA, DZ, and Chi Omega...I think the new AOPi house doesn't have cold dorms either. There are a couple houses, such as DG, Tri-Delt, and AXiD, where some girls sleep in the rooms and some girls sleep in the cold dorms.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I don't know if they still have sleeping porches at UNC or not. I haven't heard anyone talk about them.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Butler Pi Phi House

Here's the Pi Phi house at Butler University. It was decorated for homecoming last year in which the theme was "Country". Also half of the house is cut off in the picture but that's all I can find right now!

Old 05-28-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Washington State University

Pi Phi's house at WSU. My personal favorite (well, that isn't mine anyway)

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Alpha Chi Omega

Kappa Alpha Theta

And my own house...well, it used to be anyway. ADPi. I miss it so much!!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

WSU Fraternities

Sigma Nu

Delta Chi

Phi Kappa Theta

Alpha Tau Omega

These are my favorite buildings. There are TONS more.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
jharb, the Pi Phi house at Butler bears more than a slight resemblance to the one at IU. Here's that one: