GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,167
4 members and 2,163 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Xidelt

Old 04-12-2001, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Tell me about California!

Well, after seeing CutiePie's Texas thread--c'mon Californians! Tell me more about California! I'm a native New yorker--and I've only been to CA twice--but my, my I love it there! I've only visited SF and LA--but California is certainly one of my most favorite destinations! I think I want to move to CA after college in NY!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2001, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Well...where do I start? Possibly with--within a 90 minute drive I am in the middle of the desert, or up in the mountains skiing, or in 10 minutes I'm staring at the ocean...

With gorgeous natural landscape, amazing weather, and a million other things, I simply wouldn't live anywhere else.

So much more to say, but that's all the time I have right now...newbie? SoCalGirl? Theta-cutie? USCourtney? Persephone? Where are y'all?

Old 04-12-2001, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Amy ! HOpefully more Californians come here and talk about the state, too!
Old 04-12-2001, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

TEXAS KICKS cough*#%cough
Old 04-12-2001, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Umm sorry bebe, but I totally disagree. I visited Texas before...gotta say, I hated it! Just doesn't work if you're a non-conservative, non-Republican! Sorry, I love CAli's environment WAYYYYYY more. Liberal, fun, welcoming, and as Amy said--a beach, a ski resort, a desert, a valley--all in Cali baby!

Plus I just thought that some Texans are sexist.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:50 AM

Cool

I'm not Californian but I will offer my input as I've been there 4x in my life.

I can mostly tell you about San Francisco and San Jose (Silicon Valley). San Francisco's weather can change on a dime and this is because of the San Francisco Bay. While in San Francisco, refer to it as "San Francisco" or "The City"....if you call it Frisco or San Fran, everyone will know you're a tourist (or from elsewhere!). San Francisco is fairly expensive and it can be tough to find a reasonably priced place where to live. Also, SF has homeless people like you wouldn't believe so if this is something that bothers you, I wouldn't recommend SF. The weather can be chilly in the summer (this is not suntanning and Beach Boys territory, but it can get hot, if it is not windy), but SF has great ammentities and night life. Also, as far as big cities go, I would say it is fairly safe...just avoid the neighbourhood known as "Tenderloin"....it is very scarey and rough!

San Jose (and surrounding areas): the heart of Silicon Valley. This is about 30 miles South of San Francisco and the climate is quite different. They used to have fruit orchards here, so the weather is hot and sunny. There isn't a lot of character to San Jose as it is a lot of business parks thanks to all the computer companies. Nicer cities are Redwood City, Palo Alto (Stanford Univ. is here!) and so on. San Jose and its surrounding areas have a high housing cost, thanks to all the I.T. firms in the area.

Los Angeles: I went to Disneyland when I was little so I don't remember much. I do remember going to Newport Beach and that it was lovely.

The only thing I would say about California is that it is probably one of the more expensive states to live in. But it is beautiful, the people are laid back and forward thinking. A lot of "trends" start out in California, like step aerobics, Tae-Bo that kind of thing. Californians are legendary for being the first to pioneer something.

If my Canadian citizenship thing wasn't an issue, I would be in California in 2 seconds!
You'll love it!!

Old 04-14-2001, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412:

With gorgeous natural landscape, amazing weather, and a million other things, I simply wouldn't live anywhere else.

What is the weather like there? Is it humid?

Old 04-14-2001, 06:47 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs up

I gotta agree about Cali. It definitely is the shizz. In another thread I mentioned that I would gladly leave Hawaii to be able to live in California, and I may actually have the chance if my prospective graduate schools accept me!

And bebechick's comment about "why are there 403184039243 californians in tx?"...WTF was that about?

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!

[This message has been edited by OohTeenyWahine (edited April 14, 2001).]
Old 04-14-2001, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Weather is amazing here Billy. Not too humid at all. Today it is 75 and sunny and the air smells like orange blossoms and jasmine. The hottest time of the year is August and September, when temps in the city reach 85 or 90. It can get into the 100's in the San Fernando Valley. I speak only of Los Angeles, here as that is where I live.

I've alos lived in San Diego and there is no more perfect climate on earth, IMHO.

AND, finally, I didn't see bebe_chicks post on the 4058675732 or whatever Californians in Texas, but, as an alum of USC, why was every other student there, from Texas?

Just showin' a little California pride. I happen to think this state is paradise--there is something for everyone here--whether you're a surfer, a skiier, a conservative, a liberal, a 'granola' or 'shallow.'

A
Old 04-14-2001, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks guys keep the comments coming!! California truly is the bomb. *sigh* I love NY, but I can't get enough of CA's weather, ppl, nightlife, etc. etc.!!

BEBE--1st graders have shown more class than you. If you don't like California--so be it, but you don't have to come on here and enter that ridiculous number in, saying that number of people have chosen to go to TX...so dear Bebe--do you got the stats to PROVE IT??? Or are you just naming off pointless things from the top of your head, which you can't even back up?? Get a life, please. you can go and praise Texas all you want--just don't do it here.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree Bubbles!Like I said in a previous post, this is a college, grad and beyond chatroom....if a h.s. student has the class and maturity to post here, Welcome! If they don't....well, to the Yahoo! kiddie corner!
Old 04-15-2001, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbles17:
Umm sorry bebe, but I totally disagree. I visited Texas before...gotta say, I hated it! Just doesn't work if you're a non-conservative, non-Republican! Sorry, I love CAli's environment WAYYYYYY more. Liberal, fun, welcoming, and as Amy said--a beach, a ski resort, a desert, a valley--all in Cali baby!

why are there 403184039243 californians in tx?

Plus I just thought that some Texans are sexist.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Well Said Super XO! And, I might add, we would not all be here today connecting thru greekchat if not for california-- the home of the first sucessful internet dial ups in the 60's between UCLA and Stanford.

Old 04-16-2001, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

The best donuts in the world are only found in Los Angeles at Randy's Donuts!!! They are the only ones I will eat.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:12 PM
Unregistered-

Wink

I discovered this last January...

The best thing about California (well, maybe So Cal only)?

DEL TACO...where one can order almost 20 items off the menu for less than $10.00!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!