GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,303
2 members and 2,301 guests
TLLK

Old 08-09-2002, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Legacy question

I'm not in a sorority yet, but this is something I'd like to know for future reference. Do any sororities consider cousins to be legacies? I have some younger cousins who'll be starting college in the next 5 years, and I'm curious as to whether they'd be considered legacies because of me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2002, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lil_ChiO_Lady
Unfortunately cousins do not count as Legacies..Only Mothers and sisters.I am not sure about grandparents though..mmm
Psi Zeta Chapter
Old 08-09-2002, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

^ Is that just for Chi O or for all NPCs?
Old 08-09-2002, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that cousins are not considered a legacy by Delta Zeta either.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Most NPC sororities consider daughters, sisters, and granddaughters to be legacies. Some, (Theta?) consider nieces to be legacies as well. Some also allow step-relatives if the relative wants to claim the relationship.

However, it never hurts to write a rec for you cousin to let a chapter know that a special woman is comming their way.

My question is - with people living longer and sororities getting "older" themselves should great-granddaughters start being counted as legacies?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont know what the national rule is, but for my chapter, we go with any direct blood relative. What the Fu*k a "direct blood relative" means, I dunno...... Usually its almost always brothers of brothers goign through, we had 4 or 5 while I was an active undergrad.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:17 PM

I don't believe any NPC sorority considers cousins to be legacies. AEPhi's definition of a legacy is the sister, daughter, or granddaughter of an AEPhi - I don't think even step-relations count. But if a PNM has an aunt, cousin, great-grandmother, etc. who's an AEPhi, she and her relative can make sure the chapter is informed, and although the chapter is not required to treat her as a legacy, many will extend at least some of the "legacy courtesies".
Old 08-09-2002, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

rockchalk, PM me on this or send an e-m!

I dont and cannot speak for sure about Soroitys but I am sure the same applys as Fraternies! Direct lineage!

Answer me a few Questions, are you an undergrad, are you in the upper years of school?

There are some unanswered questions that need to be answered and maybe I and many others on the GC Site can Help you to advance!!!!

Granted My situation was not the same as yours but hell I was the oldest one and still am Da In my Chapter!

We did take Guys who were some what older but short termers!

We more mature people have a lot to offer! Maybe in shorter period of time!

Shoot me a pm or e-m!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-09-2002, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
that's really funny that you asked that cuz i was wondering the same thing rockchalk. cuz there are two girls that are cousins of sisters that want to rush this semester AND there is a girl who is the sister of an alumnae who is also going to rush. I was wondering about the cousin thing too. But my cousin is an AXO alum and I think she said something about cousins not being considered legacies.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I think AEphi alum said it right. You aren't officially considered a legacy, but I think most chapters will at least take it into consideration
Old 08-09-2002, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know (not that it really matters) what AZD's rules are? Do they consider nieces legacies? My aunt's AZD from Ohio State.

I think, personally, that at least blood nieces should be considered leg (they aren't in DG) because if you claim your step-sister as sister, but have only known her for a couple of weeks (say your parents just got married) then why should that take precidence over a blood relative? Hmm... Food for thought.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Wow, what a good question! I wish I had an answer but surely there is someone who has an answer!

It might be as you are considered a member of the direct family then so be it!

I will be waiting to see an answer on this one!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-11-2002, 10:26 AM

KDatUTC - it depends on the sorority. Some sororities recognize adoptive relationships, others don't... I'm fairly certain that AEPhi does not.

Even if a sorority does recognize adoptive relationships, you would probably have to have some paperwork to back it up, so if you weren't legally adopted you probably wouldn't be recognized as a legacy.