GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,400
1 members and 2,399 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

When did this happen? I remember when the Ohio State chapter closed - my chapter got most of their "goodies". It always did seem a little odd. Is there a time frame for this?
Presentations are next week. I can't go but have some of my members attending. A final decision will be made in October and recolonization will be after winter FR.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It's official! AGD is colonizing at Rutgers this Spring 2016!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

So...this happened at Dartmouth. The Tri Delt chapter has disaffiliated from nationals.

http://www.thedartmouth.com/2015/09/24/116992/

Last edited by IHeartUGA; 09-24-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 AM

After skimming that article I shake my head even more at Dartmouth. So many of their locals claim they want nothing to do with their formal GLO but they want to keep all the money and local founding dates of the National chapter. They're a completely new group! Why are they entitled to any money from the old group? So many thoughts. Ugh.

The idea that the school should compensate them for the money they lose due to their own decision to split from their National. mmkay...omgwtfbbq
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
So...this happened at Dartmouth. The Tri Delt chapter has disaffiliated from nationals.

http://www.thedartmouth.com/2015/09/24/116992/
The article refers to Tri Delta's HQ (Arlington) and "its Boston branch office." How many GLOs have branch offices in addition to HQ?

Last edited by AGDAlum; 09-25-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
After skimming that article I shake my head even more at Dartmouth. So many of their locals claim they want nothing to do with their formal GLO but they want to keep all the money and local founding dates of the National chapter. They're a completely new group! Why are they entitled to any money from the old group? So many thoughts. Ugh.

The idea that the school should compensate them for the money they lose due to their own decision to split from their National. mmkay...omgwtfbbq
It seems like almost every greek organization at Dartmouth has, at one point or another, disaffiliated from their national group. WTH is going on at this campus?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmo..._organizations

Last edited by IHeartUGA; 09-25-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Dartmouth seems to be kind of perfect storm where its students are fairly progressive, independent and politically active while their Greek system is pretty traditional, alcohol-steeped and Animal House-y, which breeds discontent with nationals (especially for sororities) on practically every front: having alcohol or parties in the house, having men overnight, hazing problems, proper decorum, religion in ritual, problems with the rush process, etc. And with half the campus local already, I'm sure that only leads to more frustration, seeing other groups who are allowed to do all these things you're not.

I can see both sides--when I was an undergrad, I was annoyed by a lot of the same things they are. But from an adult perspective, you also understand why HQ keeps those rules in place (and I don't see them changing any time soon). If this is such a priority, then it seems like going local is probably the best option for them--although I'm honestly surprised that Dartmouth still seems so supportive of their local groups, given that it would seem shift even more of the lawsuit risk from the sorority HQ to the school on an already risk-laden campus.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Fairly progressive? Try very progressive. And Dartmouth is enabling. Why should this group get $ from the college (unless it is the normal student org fee) and panhell(sic) is going to buy their bid day shirts for them? They need to put on their big girl panties and pay their own way-especially when it was their own decision to disaffiliate from their nat'l org.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-25-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm being purposefully vague, but we had a potential opportunity to possibly colonize there fairly recently, but it was not pursued. We may not have been the only group. Despite the prestige of the university, I think this is turning into a "steer clear" environment.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
The article refers to Tri Delta's HQ (Arlington) and "its Boston branch office." How many GLOs have branch offices in addition to HQ?
I'm confused by this because I've been a DDD member for more than 8 years and have never heard of office branches other than EO in Texas. I'm also a volunteer in the northeast region and I've never heard of a Boston office.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:31 AM

I'm guessing the "branch office" is the Boston alumnae chapter or whatever alumnae chapter had Dartmouth as its especial charge (if that is something Tri Delta does). Either way, I find it absolutely, positively and completely asinine to waste money flying 5 women in for what is pretty much a done deal.

I must have read a different article than everyone else. That $90k means that any time they piss off the college, they can be derecognized and kicked out of their house (which the college has always owned) with no means of protest.

As far as keeping the local founding dates, I don't see how that's any different, in reverse, than saying a chapter founded in 1915 has been on campus a hundred years....when it's been recolonized 6 times.

Their main gripe with the NPC groups' alcohol rules seems to be that it creates an atmosphere where women are beholden to the men for their social spaces and that they want an area where women and ONLY women make the choices about who they socialize with. This is a concept with which I wholeheartedly agree. It's not about drinking until you pass out, it's about being able to toss out a man who's harassing your sister at a party - even if he's a fraternity man. That doesn't happen when the only social spaces are fraternities. The girl's told to "suck it up" because a good relationship with ABC fraternity is more important than her feelings.

I do wish they wouldn't have gone with Chi Delta as the name because it isn't original, but if Delta Chi (and the chapters that were created from the little sister org) aren't complaining, I guess it's not for me to say.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-26-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm guessing the "branch office" is the Boston alumnae chapter or whatever alumnae chapter had Dartmouth as its especial charge (if that is something Tri Delta does). Either way, I find it absolutely, positively and completely asinine to waste money flying 5 women in for what is pretty much a done deal.

I must have read a different article than everyone else. That $90k means that any time they piss off the college, they can be derecognized and kicked out of their house (which the college has always owned) with no means of protest.

As far as keeping the local founding dates, I don't see how that's any different, in reverse, than saying a chapter founded in 1915 has been on campus a hundred years....when it's been recolonized 6 times.

Their main gripe with the NPC groups' alcohol rules seems to be that it creates an atmosphere where women are beholden to the men for their social spaces and that they want an area where women and ONLY women make the choices about who they socialize with. This is a concept with which I wholeheartedly agree. It's not about drinking until you pass out, it's about being able to toss out a man who's harassing your sister at a party - even if he's a fraternity man. That doesn't happen when the only social spaces are fraternities. The girl's told to "suck it up" because a good relationship with ABC fraternity is more important than her feelings.

I do wish they wouldn't have gone with Chi Delta as the name because it isn't original, but if Delta Chi (and the chapters that were created from the little sister org) aren't complaining, I guess it's not for me to say.
I assumed they picked up all the Tri Delta property (ritual stuff, etc) while they were there.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I assumed they picked up all the Tri Delta property (ritual stuff, etc) while they were there.
Yeah, but unless Tri Delta really does use a dolphin for initiation, you don't need 5 people to do that, especially when it's the chapter's idea to surrender its charter. I would think they would have all that "religious stuff" packed up and ready to go.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe their rules require certain officers to attend such events?????
Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I'm trying to figure out where you would FLY people from Boston to. I'd think that'd be the closest major airport.....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06