GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,763
1 members and 1,762 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
She couldn't have preffed 3 groups and then been dropped at pref. Do you mean she was dropped by the groups she prefered????
This...I'm not understanding the description either. Did you mean she went to 3 groups for pref, matched with none of those, and was instead offered a bid from a group she hadn't visited since Round 2, which she then declined? So, she didn't visit them for Round 3, either? Please clarify!

If that's that's the case, I think I'd probably wait for the Theta colonization, too. It does seem strange that they couldn't use quota additions to add her to one of the 3 pref. groups. I'm assuming she didn't suicide, to be offered a 4th option, but wow...3 prefs and she couldn't be placed in any of them??? That would be very upsetting.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 01-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad to hear she did not get one of her 3 pref houses. Encourage her to try for Theta.
Sounds like Wake Forrest is a rocky road for sure.. I did like the letter to the parents though, very useful information.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
...Did you mean she went to 3 groups for pref, matched with none of those, and was instead offered a bid from a group she hadn't visited since Round 2, which she then declined? So, she didn't visit them for Round 3, either? Please clarify!

If that's that's the case, I think I'd probably wait for the Theta colonization, too. It does seem strange that they couldn't use quota additions to add her to one of the 3 pref. groups. I'm assuming she didn't suicide, to be offered a 4th option, but wow...3 prefs and she couldn't be placed in any of them??? That would be very upsetting.
That was how I read it. I hope she considers Theta!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
She couldn't have preffed 3 groups and then been dropped at pref. Do you mean she was dropped by the groups she prefered????
My reading of it is, after round three, she wrote down the three groups whose pref she would want to attend. They all dropped her. She got a pref invite from a sorority she had previously dropped, but didn't go. So in other words she didn't go to any prefs.

They have 4 rounds total, pref is the 4th.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-13-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
My reading of it is, after round three, she wrote down the three groups whose pref she would want to attend. They all dropped her. She got a pref invite from a sorority she had previously dropped, but didn't go. So in other words she didn't go to any prefs.

That was my original interpretation, too, and that the word pref was accidentally used, instead of Round 3, in the description. This seems more likely, but I need a clarification.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I read it that she preffed the three groups, and then she got dropped from all three. However, if she got dropped by her top three before pref, then that happens.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Yes. This is the scenario.. I may not have been clear in my explanation. I am on my iPad and not at a regular computer this week so my hunting and pecking has stymied my communication.

She selected the three she would like to return to on pref and all three released her. Yes, a house DID extend a pref invite and she chose to drop.

True, my pnm is not experiencing anything out of the ordinary...I am just very interested to get a better "feel" for what seems to be a somewhat unique recruitment atmosphere based on what others are saying. I think my girl will be fine, truthfully.

I am not familiar with the Greek history of Wake, but based on a previous post, I am guessing the Panhellenic affiliation is relatively new?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

So sorry to hear that this happened.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not that familiar with Wake but based on what I know about recruitment in general and RFM in particular, she evidently had enough "whatever" (grades, rep, etc) to get her thru the the first part of recruitment. However, "whatever" kept her from making the final cut was something all 3 groups wanted to opt out of. It's normal to not get some invited to pref but it is rather odd that all 3 released her at that point. However, obviously the other group had been inviting her all along but they didn't "make the cut" with her so she never saw their invites. That's how RFM works. If you have more invites than party slots, you will never know that. You only learn the ones that match with your ranking and for which you have open. So, they didn't go back and invite her. They were inviting her all along but she wasn't ranking them high enough to match for a slot.

Hope that makes sense. I know what I am trying to say but not sure if it's coming out that way!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I am not familiar with the Greek history of Wake, but based on a previous post, I am guessing the Panhellenic affiliation is relatively new?

They had long-established locals and the university told them they would have to go national. However, some of the new nationals have tried really hard to keep the local traditions and in some cases, that involved hazing. First Chi O almost deactivated their chapter but kept it at the last minute--there's a thread about it on GC. It happened in the last few years. Then we closed our chapter, which came from the oldest of the nationals, because of the "old traditions" thing. I believe that some of the girls then formed a chapter of a non-NPC group, Kappa Beta Gamma, and I don't know what occurred after that.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

From Irishpipes list-

Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, NC
September 2012/January 11-14, 2013
Quota=
Campus Total=135
Quota last year=
Delta Delta Delta -Gamma Kappa 1989
Alpha Delta Pi - Eta Upsilon 1990-1995/2009 (Fall 12)
Delta Gamma - Zeta Tau 1993-?
Kappa Alpha Theta -Zeta Omicron 1993-2002/Colony Spring 2013
Kappa Delta -Zeta Omicron 1993
Kappa Kappa Gamma -Zeta Psi 1994
Pi Beta Phi - North Carolina Gamma 1994-2010
Chi Omega -Zeta Lambda 1994
Phi Mu -Lambda Eta 1998
Delta Zeta -Pi Delta 2003

DG and Theta left at about the same time in early 2000s?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend's step-sister went through recruitment this week at Wake--he texted me to ask what suiciding was, as apparently she suicided Pi Phi. Luckily, she got a bid
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ IUHoosiergirl88, Pi Phi closed the Wake Forest chapter (see up thread). Did she accept a bid from the non-NPC sorority?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 02-05-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: replaced "local" with "non-NPC"
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
^^^ IUHoosiergirl88, Pi Phi closed the Wake Forest chapter (see up thread). Did she accept a bid from the local?
She must have--I just looked back at the text and he said she suicided for Pi Phi...so I have no idea! Now I'm curious...haha
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They had long-established locals and the university told them they would have to go national. However, some of the new nationals have tried really hard to keep the local traditions and in some cases, that involved hazing. First Chi O almost deactivated their chapter but kept it at the last minute--there's a thread about it on GC. It happened in the last few years. Then we closed our chapter, which came from the oldest of the nationals, because of the "old traditions" thing. I believe that some of the girls then formed a chapter of a non-NPC group, Kappa Beta Gamma, and I don't know what occurred after that.
Carnation, this group was one of her faves and I just learned they were a local that replaced pi phi. Interesting!

I tried to find out about Wake recruitment earlier in the fall but came up short. this thread has certainly been enlightening.