GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,566
2 members and 1,564 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Univ.of Illinois Recruitment FALL 2012

Recruitment at the University of Illinois has started, and I was wondering if anyone knew how many girls had signed up to go through this fall? and/or what the general quota has been the past few years? Thanks!:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
No idea how many women signed up this year. However, thanks to irishpipe's awesome threads, here's quota numbers for past several years:

2011 - 53
2010 - 45
2009 - 47
2008 - 53
2007 - 48
2006 - 57

I remember '06 -- that was my freshman year (I rushed for a day but dropped out before even finishing open house round because I was overwhelmed with LIFE!...Dad was hospitalized for a few weeks, broke up with a long term boyfriend, adjusting to living away from home...yes there was a lot going on). My roommate finished though and mentioned that they had really large new member classes that year. I believe her class was 62?

The rest of the years seem pretty average. I imagine the decrease from 2008 to 2009 is because of a new chapter and I'll bet increase from 2010 to 2011 has to do with there being one less chapter. Based on that and the fact that the rest of the country seems to be seeing increases, I would bet we will be seeing quota in the 50s this year.

Last edited by lovespink88; 09-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

This is always fun to look at too: http://www.odos.uiuc.edu/greek/membe...lenicStats.asp

I SWORE they had 2011 added, but maybe I'm just going crazy.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
No idea how many women signed up this year. However, thanks to irishpipe's awesome threads, here's quota numbers for past several years:

2011 - 53
2010 - 45
2009 - 47
2008 - 53
2007 - 48
2006 - 57

I remember '06 -- that was my freshman year (I rushed for a day but dropped out before even finishing open house round because I was overwhelmed with LIFE!...Dad was hospitalized for a few weeks, broke up with a long term boyfriend, adjusting to living away from home...yes there was a lot going on). My roommate finished though and mentioned that they had really large new member classes that year. I believe her class was 62?

The rest of the years seem pretty average. I imagine the decrease from 2008 to 2009 is because of a new chapter and I'll bet increase from 2010 to 2011 has to do with there being one less chapter. Based on that and the fact that the rest of the country seems to be seeing increases, I would bet we will be seeing quota in the 50s this year.
Just to add some more numbers that go back a little further, quota when I was there was always around 50, except 2001, when it fell to 43. So it looks like it has held steady around 50 for a very long time, which is pretty interesting in the context of the huge growth we are seeing elsewhere.

ETA: To be clear, I was there from 1999 - 2002, and there were 19 groups at the time.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 09-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

From the other Illinois thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisdg View Post
As far as the number of recruits at U of I for 2012, there are 18 groups, and assuming all groups are the size as my daughter's group (60), that is 1,080 recruits. The ID numbers range from 1 to 1,098. As those numbers are pretty close, I assume that the 1,098 is accurate.
1,098 is probably spot on! When I was there, you were emailed a giant spreadsheet with all the PNM's names and group numbers, so if this is the list she was talking about, then I'd say its right.

Since Illinois has had roughly a 73% bid rate over the last several years (based on the numbers in the link I posted), I'm going to guess that pledge classes are going to be in the low 40s this year. A little bit smaller than what they're used to!

(Please note I'm just playing around with numbers...I know there's a very specific way to calculate quota, but I don't know what that is. I just like numbers sometimes )
Old 09-03-2012, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Although it's been since the 90's that I was there I always look forward to hearing a Illinois story. Hope everyone is having fun today.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Got to speak briefly on the phone with my little sister during her break -- she's having a bit of a hard time accepting some of the "cuts" that happened, but she has been really enjoying learning more about the houses who invited her back for this round! I really hope it works out for her. And good luck to everyone else!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur12 View Post
Got to speak briefly on the phone with my little sister during her break -- she's having a bit of a hard time accepting some of the "cuts" that happened, but she has been really enjoying learning more about the houses who invited her back for this round! I really hope it works out for her. And good luck to everyone else!
I was in a weak recruiting chapter at Illinois, and I had a great experience. Please, please reassure your sister that being greek at Illinois is awesome NO MATTER WHICH CHAPTER.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I was in a weak recruiting chapter at Illinois, and I had a great experience. Please, please reassure your sister that being greek at Illinois is awesome NO MATTER WHICH CHAPTER.
I've said as much, and hope she takes it to heart! It's tough -- she has a good attitude, but her feelings are hurt. I just hope she sticks with it! It's going to be a long week of waiting before they get their invites for the next round!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

HI all! I just got a text from my daughter, who has 2 more houses to visit on this round of 13. It seems like a GRUELING process!

Does anyone know how recommendations work? I am under the impression that it requires a house to invite the girl back for the 2nd round (1st invite). But that is all.

Can anyone confirm that? And is it true that if a girl "plays by the rules" and goes to every house on her list, she is guaranteed a bid?

Thanks to anyone who has information regarding the process here at UIUC. (I went there for college, but got cut at the end of the sorority rush process in 1978 AND 1979, lol)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

A few of us GC regulars are from UIUC. I was chapter president, so I was pretty close to things, but that was in 2001. At that point in time, very, very few women had recs. Some chapters would go ahead and find recs on everyone they wanted to bid, some would not worry about recs for women that an active sister personally knew, and some didn't bother with them at all. From what I've heard, the importance of recs has grown more recent years, especially among the chapters who have to do deep cuts early on, but there are still many women who have successfully recruitments without finding their own recs.

What else would you like to know about the process? Under RFM, if you play by the rules AND are invited to at least one pref party, you will end up with a bid.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your reply. What does RFM stand for?

When I went through rush many many years ago, I had recs for all of the houses (my mothers friends did that for me). So then, I was invited back to all of the houses. At that time, I think we had to pick 5 or 7 to go back to. I picked "the top houses." I was invited back to 1 for the final stage, but didn't get a bid from them.

Looking back, I think I picked the wrong houses to go to after first round. Because I had a rec, I was invited back, but in reality, I wasn't a good match for those houses. FYI, I was a GDI for all 4 years, and loved every second of it, so there definitely is life as a non-Greek, contrary to many opinion. But my daughter is interested in joining a sorority, so I hope it works out for her.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The way recruitment is done from an invitation standpoint has changed greatly since the 70's when you went thru. For schools where you absolutely have to have a rec (see sticky on this topic for a good list of them) even that may not get you invited back as the chapters are limited by RFM (Release Figures Methodology which NPC regulates). Based on an average of recent prior year returns, chapters are told how many they can invite back for each round. So it chapter A has recs for 1000 women but can only invited 800, then at least 200 of those will be released by that chapter. The number of invites given will vary by chapter based on their prior performance (how many invites they issued and how many attendees from those invites). So chapter B may get to invited 900 and chapter C 700 and so on.

Your daughter will be ranking the groups at the end of each day. So the computer will match her top ranked chapters with her invitations. So say she goes to all 18 the first day. She'll rank them all. So say she can attend 12 parites the next day and gets 13 invites. The computer will drop her lowest ranked chapter and she will get a list of jsut the 12. And so on the next day, etc. So in essense, where you picked the invitations you accepted, the computer does it for her based on the invites against her rankings. She won't see all the invites, just the ones the computer assigns her to.

The basis for this is to level the playing field for all groups so that no groups invite back tons of people only to drop them at pref. And it makes every chapter be more targeted in their efforts. So, your daughter will be required to attend all the parties slated for her - called maximizing her options. If she doesn't attend them all (even if she is slotted to go to her bottom ranked group) she could be dropped from recruitment or not get a bid at the end.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece and 4 other rec girls went through last year and the cuts were surprising with the new RFM system. Delta Beta Baby and many of the other ladies will have the correct answer for you, so I'm not going to even try to explain it as I will mess it up as I just learned about it last year. I went through rush - it wasn't called recruitment in the days I was there and cuts did not seem to be so severe in the beginning. But the cuts still came and later so this way does seem to make sense. I worry that the pnm's don't understand the volume of girls coming through the first parties. It's overwhelming on the other side as well...it really is. I would always suggest recs if you don't know any of the girls because that introduces you before the first day even starts. In my day it seems there were 20 girls named Debbie a day. My personal feeling was the first round of invites were more a matter of numbers...I know it doesn't feel that way, but there are over a 1,000 girls going through and possibly 60 or so (I have no idea what quota is) are going to receive a bid.
I was not invited/or cut from chapters after the first round and it felt terrible, happened 2nd round as well, but I wouldn't change a thing about my experience because my house was a perfect fit for me.

Edit - I just saw your RFM question was answered while I was typing this.
Perfect answer...I wish I knew as much, but this is the best place if you have any questions because the GC's on here really know their stuff backwards and forwards!

Last edited by DG Illinois; 09-03-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: RFM question answered
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.slideshare.net/AFLV/npc-r...-figure-method

Thank you all for your patient explanation!! Based on your explanation of RFM, I was able to google it, and found the above link, which is a slideshow explaining RFM rationale! I have to say, it's brilliant!!!! I'm so glad it is done this way now. It makes total sense! In my day (yes, they were all named Debbie then...and Cindi, and Nanci,) A lot of the girls were cut at the end, and a whole bunch of "weak" houses weren't getting filled at all. And then of course the houses got weaker and weaker.

Thanks again. My daughter is done with the round. She is having a hard time picking her top 7!!