GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,162
0 members and 2,162 guests
No Members online

Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Any chapters have a pet "mascot"?

Just curious how many people have pets here that are also taken in by their chapters and shown off at events here and there. (or even if pets are allowed in sorority/fraternity houses in the states?) We have a thing called Greek Olympics each year where everyone brings their dogs out to show off and let them play around when we're not competing, as well as philanthropic events like runs/walks which I take mine to. Mine has also been used as a way to get people to donate for our cause - by sitting pretty and people will pay to pet the puppy lol

This is mine here, his name is Princeton and he's a miniature american eskimo, 4 months here and still a handful now at almost 7 months:

I don't know what sorority that dog belongs to as it's just a sigma pi holding it, but it always makes me laugh as it comes out annually to Greek O and I don't think any of us know what breed it is.

Αγάπη, Πίστη, Φιλία
http://www.alphapiphi.com/
Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our alumni has a dog named Kimball that was always at brotherhood events, barbecues, and tailgates before he graduated. It wasn't official, but everyone loved when he was around.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the fraternities had a house dog last year- unfortunately, the university (who technically owns the house) forced the dog out. She's now living with some of the brothers in an off-campus house- but she was still at some of their rush events and was there when the guys serenaded our new girls on Bid Day.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ

Last edited by Smile_Awhile; 12-27-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
When I rushed at IU in the early 90s, AEPhi had a really cute house dog. They introduced the dog when they introduced their officers. No idea if any other chapters had a house pet, or if any of them do now.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

A few of the chapters here have animals.

We have 4 lawn owls. They're even on our composite haha. We bring them out on Greek Day.

Jermaine, Murfanda, Clark Clickity Clark, and, the newest one, Night Rider

I have a picture of me with Murfanda... but I look like an idiot.. So I won't post it.

ETA: Oh yeah, we do have a dog and cat living at our "house," but we have yet to actually bring them out to anything. Mad Max Rocketansky of the Thunderdome and Dolce Thunderpuss.

Creative names for everything, eh?...

ETA: I'll post pictures of my Brothers looking stupid instead

Left to Right: Jermaine, Murfanda, Clark

Max!

The only picture I have of Dolce

Last edited by pshsx1; 12-29-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Almost all of our fraternities have pet dogs (since most of them privately own their houses and as such aren't subject to university regulations). Some chapters even get new puppies for each class, and when the class graduates, the dog graduates too and moves in with one of the recently graduated brothers.

The dogs (especially when they're young) attract A LOT of attention, and many a young woman is drawn to the puppy (and thus the chapter house) like a moth to a flame
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

this is duck norris, and you do not want to ruffle his feathers.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

he looks fierce.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was an active, the Chi Phi's had a really cute english bulldog that they would bring everywhere! When we had our Run for the Roses event last Spring, they actually painted him to look like a panda lol.

The DChi's had a couple dogs,one belonged to a guy that is now an alum, and the latest one is a tiny pug (I think..) shared between a Sig Delt and a DChi that are dating.

And finally, one of my sisters has a teacup chihuahua that she brings to all events..she is soo tiny you could fit her in your pocket!!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
A few of the chapters here have animals.

We have 4 lawn owls. They're even on our composite haha. We bring them out on Greek Day.

Jermaine, Murfanda, Clark Clickity Clark, and, the newest one, Night Rider

I have a picture of me with Murfanda... but I look like an idiot.. So I won't post it.

ETA: Oh yeah, we do have a dog and cat living at our "house," but we have yet to actually bring them out to anything. Mad Max Rocketansky of the Thunderdome and Dolce Thunderpuss.

Creative names for everything, eh?...
I seriously LOLed about the names. I tried to say them out loud, and I gave up on some.

I feel like the Gamma Phis at my school have a dog, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I had a picture of our old house mom's dog!
It is the ugliest dog I have ever seen face to face, and it was named Lamb Chop. We introduced him during recruitment, but he was UGLY. And we all hated the thing because it peed in our rooms...but we acted like we loved him for recruitment.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
I wish I had a picture of our old house mom's dog!
It is the ugliest dog I have ever seen face to face, and it was named Lamb Chop. We introduced him during recruitment, but he was UGLY. And we all hated the thing because it peed in our rooms...but we acted like we loved him for recruitment.
hahahah he sounds like a terrible recruitment tool!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePiePhi View Post

I don't know what sorority that dog belongs to as it's just a sigma pi holding it, but it always makes me laugh as it comes out annually to Greek O and I don't think any of us know what breed it is.

I believe the dog belongs to a Sigma Psi Alpha alumni.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post

this is duck norris, and you do not want to ruffle his feathers.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter doesn't have an official mascot, but we've had two unofficial ones.

The first, a rescued beagle named Walter, belonged to a senior who lived off campus. He came to everything! This is a picture of him at one of our PR events, where PNMs painted pumpkins to give to nursing home residents. He even came to Bid Day in one of the residence halls and had a great time until security saw him and kicked him out.

When his owner graduated, Walter moved to Texas with her family. One of the current seniors has a mutt who one of the sisters rescued from a shelter in Puerto Rico on an alternative spring break trip. She comes to pretty much everything - especially the outdoor PR events, where she's very popular! These pictures are from Relay for Life, which was on campus. Can you spot the little dog in the tent?

A few of the fraternities have house dogs and/or cats since the housing is privately owned. I know for sure that Beta has a really adorable yellow lab mix, and one of the old Sigma Chi composites has a cat in it. Alpha Phi also has a French Bulldog owned by one of the sisters that comes to a lot of their events - they cut up an old "Maphia" event tee to fit him. He's really cute!

Last edited by littleowl33; 12-29-2009 at 03:44 PM.