GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,366
2 members and 1,364 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 12-18-2000, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Post Are they really a member?

On an episode of the show Moesha, she was going with this guy who was a Kappa. In the episodehe stepped and had the letters on and everything. Here is my question, when you see people on TV and they have on a certain fraternity or sororities letters (like a sweater) are they really a member. I hope this question can be answered and is not offensive, that is not my intent.

------------------
Peace
KL
Old 12-19-2000, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I'm gonna assume that he was actually a Kappa. I know my organization would never license it's letters out so that they could be used in that way. I remember on 'Different World' you would see people in the background in greek pari. I think those people were actual greeks. I hope I answered your question.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 12-19-2000, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
N4L,

Thanks, that did answer my question. I figured as much also.

------------------
Peace
KL
Old 12-19-2000, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:
I'm gonna assume that he was actually a Kappa. I know my organization would never license it's letters out so that they could be used in that way. I remember on 'Different World' you would see people in the background in greek pari. I think those people were actual greeks. I hope I answered your question.
Actually Nupe4Life, I know someone who was a producer for A Different World (a cousin of a good friend of mine) and the people wearing the 'real' (I say real because there were some made up groups) fraternity and sorority shirts were not necessarily members of that organization, or any organization for that matter. As a matter of fact, my friend recounted a story where a fraternity member was asked to take off his shirt and put on another organization's shirt because there were too many XYZs in the shot. The guy balked, so the director told him to leave (and evidently lose whatever he was getting paid). He (the guy) ended up giving in and wearing the other frats shirt. Can you imagine what his line brothers said to him when they saw him on TV?? ha ha
Old 12-19-2000, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

So has anyone heard that Kelly Shanygne Williams (Laura Winslow on Family Matters) is a Delta? People were telling me about an episode of Moesha that she was on a while back on which she was a stepshow MC and she said something to the effect of "Let me say wassup to my beautiful sorors" then she did the Delta call and threw up the Pyramid! I never saw it, but a few folks mentioned it to me.

Now, about A Different World...
As many greeks as there are in this world, I can't even fathom why they'd have non-greeks wearing NPHC 'nalia!!! After all, the show was produced by Bill Cosby-- an Omega, and directed by Debbie Allen--an AKA! I refuse to believe they'd let non-greeks wear those letters! I just can't see it!

the411

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 12-19-2000, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes,

I have to agree with Soror 411. I can't believe they, themselves, would condone, actually suggest that non-members wear REAL 'nalia. Further, if I had been that brothah or sistah that was told to wear ANOTHER ORGANIZATION'S 'NALIA I would have HAD to just miss out on the "extra" funds. I could not even imagine wearing another organization's letters. They do have meaning and all...GEESH!!!
Old 12-19-2000, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

the411:I saw that episode and I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:
So has anyone heard that Kelly Shanygne Williams (Laura Winslow on Family Matters) is a Delta? People were telling me about an episode of Moesha that she was on a while back on which she was a stepshow MC and she said something to the effect of "Let me say wassup to my beautiful sorors" then she did the Delta call and threw up the Pyramid! I never saw it, but a few folks mentioned it to me.
Old 12-19-2000, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the411:

Now, about A Different World...
As many greeks as there are in this world, I can't even fathom why they'd have non-greeks wearing NPHC 'nalia!!! After all, the show was produced by Bill Cosby-- an Omega, and directed by Debbie Allen--an AKA! I refuse to believe they'd let non-greeks wear those letters! I just can't see it!

the411
I know this sounds much like "I have a friend who sister's brother's cousin... said" but I [i] swear ]/i] it's TRUE! (Yeah right the411 says...they always say it's true!!) he he he But seriously, I can't verify the story, but I distinctly remember it. I was in college during DW's heyday so it was discussed a lot. Especially since some of the exterior shots were filmed on my campus. DELTABRAT I agree. I remember us non-greeks saying I can't believe an "X" would wear "Y" para!!
Old 12-19-2000, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure about her either, but I do know that Rudy from "The Cosby Show", did pledge Delta at Spelman. And from the different shows I have watched in the past usually the person wearing the nalia is greek, Steve Harvery has a Omega Crest on the wall of his show.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

411: I believe that Kelli is a Delta. There is a Bruh named Rushon McDonald (GE Hampton)who is a producer on Moesha and was an associate producer on Sister/Sister. Remember when the Father (Tim Reid, an Alpha) wanted the daughters to be AKAs and the mother wanted them to be Deltas and they had all this nalia in the house? One episode dealt with a boyfriend pledging. Brian McKnight was the chapter advisor. They were supposed to be pledging Que (the colors were Purple and Gold) but our Nationals said no way because the storyline involved hazing and non-greeks like Brian McKnight (a Greek, but a homemade frat) and Bud, wearing the letters.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

411, the Gorgeous One, the Nickelodeon show was called "My Brother and Me". The father was/is really a Que, don't know if the mom was really a Delta.
Old 12-21-2000, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
the411, Keisha Knight Pulliam "Rudy" is my sands and deuce of Spring 99. She crossed at Spelman.

DoggyStyle, is Rushon an Omega?

While I truly believe the people who wear nalia on tv are in those organizations...I don't believe that the people who are in some of these magazines are in the organizations. I say that because in an issue of Black Voices Quarterly, I saw this one guy with an Omega shirt on and a Kappa shirt or jacket on another page.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC, Spr 99
Galveston Council of Greeks NPHC, President

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I was curious about that Purple and Gold frat on Sister/Sister! Clearly it was meant to depict Omega Psi Phi, but I must say that I appreciated the way the story evolved. For media puposes, it shed a positive light on the greek system, if you ask me. Of course, it would have been even better if Brian McKnight were really a bruh! But I digress (cause I know y'all tired of me talkin' 'bout Brian!)...

Anyway, there's a sitcom on Nickelodeon (I forget the name) with a Black family in which the mom and dad are supposed to be a Delta and Que, based on the greek 'nalia and decor in the living room. I wonder if they really are, or if that's just a reflection of someone on the production crew! I just love seeing my Sorors and Frat on TV!

PS: "Rudy Huxtable" was the deuce of her line (Spring '98 I believe), and she really pledged, they tell me!

------------------
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 12-21-2000, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the411:
...and directed by Debbie Allen--an AKA!

the411

Debbie Allen, an AKA? I know her sister is a soror, but I did not know she was.

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

[quote]Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
Quote:
Debbie Allen, an AKA? I know her sister is a soror, but I did not know she was.
Quote:

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited December 21, 2000).][/B]
Debbie Allen pledged AKA at Howard, just like Phylicia (her sister) did.

------------------
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE