GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 639
0 members and 639 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I know, and I hope with you that it's a deficit that will be fixed some day soon! AOII's Alpha Chapter can never return so I can only hope for other groups to all get their's back. (Go AGD on their bid to return to Syracuse!)
Does AOII not return the chapter's name when recolonizing?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this sounds cheesy and you've probably heard it a million times:

Don't judge any sorority based on it's first event. I have friends who didn't like the sorority they joined on the first night, but after that they realized how perfect of a match it was.
Be open to all groups!

And on a random note, I love Tri Sigma's colors. Purple is the best!

Last edited by TriDLove; 05-26-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelled 'sigma' wrong
Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It was at Columbia University which doesn't have Greek life anymore.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It was at Columbia University which doesn't have Greek life anymore.
We were actually founded at Barnard college which outlawed sororities in 1908 or thereabouts. Columbia actually has greek life, but they aren't at Barnard and our HQ, if we went back to Columbia, would not consider it our Alpha.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

How sad....
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How sad....
I know...I personally think a chapter a Columbia should be our Alpha, but I don't make the rules I don't know how AEPhi feels about this subject since they are in the same boat.

AOII

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is as close to comprehensive as it gets when it comes to recruitment advice. Good luck!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
We were actually founded at Barnard college which outlawed sororities in 1908 or thereabouts. Columbia actually has greek life, but they aren't at Barnard and our HQ, if we went back to Columbia, would not consider it our Alpha.
Someone needs to fix Wikipedia...it says the current sororities are at Barnard which is why I got confused and posted what I did. Not only that, the AOII wiki is kind of confusing since it says about the chapter closing in 1914 and it reads as if Columbia banned sororities, not Barnard. I know this "separate but connected" thing is confusing enough anyway.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball792 View Post
Hi everybody! This is my first post on GC but i've been reading for a while...I need some help from some of you about these sororities. I am planning on pledging next year and I want to know everyone's general opinion...So please help!
Oh ps I will be going to Longwood and these are the sororities offered there...

Alpha Gamma Delta-
Alpha Delta Pi-
Alpha Sigma Alpha-
Alpha Sigma Tau-
Delta Zeta-
Kappa Delta-
Sigma Kappa-
Sigma Sigma Sigma-

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! thanks!
No offense, but I find it hard to believe that you've read anything on GC ever! If you had, the first thing you would have learned would be to keep an open mind.
For you to come here and ask us general opinions is offensive to each sorority there. You need to go in with an open mind. Women over the internet can't decide. Just because they love their sorority doesn't mean you will. Each sorority there is great. No sorority is the best, just the best for an individual.

Nitpicking right now: it's not called pledging anymore.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know, and I hope with you that it's a deficit that will be fixed some day soon! AOII's Alpha Chapter can never return so I can only hope for other groups to all get their's back. (Go AGD on their bid to return to Syracuse!)
Know the feeling all too well - The Greek System was closed at the first THREE of our chapters!

To the OP: I could post pages about why I love my sorority, but what's important to me may not be important to you. This is why everyone's urging you to go into Recruitment with an open mind.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Nitpicking right now: it's not called pledging anymore.
What else can you use as a verb? New membering? Baby insert-a-mascot-here-ing? Being a participant in the new member education process? Get real, no 18 year old would ever say that. That's why the new terms are so stupid. It also shows their lack of efficacy that incoming class after incoming class doesn't use them.

Actually, she should say she's planning on rushing next year, but I didn't want to be a meanie and pick that nit.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Someone needs to fix Wikipedia...it says the current sororities are at Barnard which is why I got confused and posted what I did. Not only that, the AOII wiki is kind of confusing since it says about the chapter closing in 1914 and it reads as if Columbia banned sororities, not Barnard. I know this "separate but connected" thing is confusing enough anyway.
I'll have to get my AOII Centennial history book and get the actual dates. Barnard decided to get rid of Greek life for sketchy reasons, sort of a push against "elitism." I don't think it was as late as 1914, but I could be wrong. I'll edit the Wiki page to make it more understandable. Thanks, 33girl!

AOII

Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
I'll have to get my AOII Centennial history book and get the actual dates. Barnard decided to get rid of Greek life for sketchy reasons, sort of a push against "elitism." I don't think it was as late as 1914, but I could be wrong. I'll edit the Wiki page to make it more understandable. Thanks, 33girl!
1914 is correct. Over a 6 year span, the college and Panhellenic implemented numerous resolutions and restrictions. The final blow came when the chapters could no longer take new members and they became dormant when the last collegian graduated.

There are some great articles from that time period in the New York Times archives.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I own copies of two 1914 issues of The Crescent, and there is a good bit of info about the Barnard closure in them. And, even better for all of you, all four 1914 issues are available in google books!

http://books.google.com/books?id=EAc...age&q=&f=false

Go to page 92!

If you don't want to read yourself, here are two excerpts:

From the January 1914 issue, reprinted from the editor of The Key:

"These are the resolutions finally adopted by the faculty:
Resolved, That for a term of three years, commencing October 1, 1913, no society of a social character at Barnard College, of which the organization, the emblems, and the rites are in any way secret and which has national affiiliations shall be allowed to elect new members...."

From the March 1914 issue, from Iota's chapter letter:

"We have secured a three years' charter from the Student Council, as the other sororities have done, and we are still hoping for a reversal of the Faculty decision....
Especially now that we are no longer allowed to initiate new members, we feel the close bond existing between the older Gamma Phis and ourselves, and regret that in all probability, no new girls in Barnard will have the chance to be a part of this national organization."

When the graduating class left in 1914, there were 9 members left of Iota chapter, and once all of them had graduated, the chapter closed. I believe this is the same situation for all of the other sororities at Barnard, too.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
I own copies of two 1914 issues of The Crescent, and there is a good bit of info about the Barnard closure in them. And, even better for all of you, all four 1914 issues are available in google books!

http://books.google.com/books?id=EAc...age&q=&f=false

Go to page 92!

If you don't want to read yourself, here are two excerpts:

From the January 1914 issue, reprinted from the editor of The Key:

"These are the resolutions finally adopted by the faculty:
Resolved, That for a term of three years, commencing October 1, 1913, no society of a social character at Barnard College, of which the organization, the emblems, and the rites are in any way secret and which has national affiiliations shall be allowed to elect new members...."

From the March 1914 issue, from Iota's chapter letter:

"We have secured a three years' charter from the Student Council, as the other sororities have done, and we are still hoping for a reversal of the Faculty decision....
Especially now that we are no longer allowed to initiate new members, we feel the close bond existing between the older Gamma Phis and ourselves, and regret that in all probability, no new girls in Barnard will have the chance to be a part of this national organization."

When the graduating class left in 1914, there were 9 members left of Iota chapter, and once all of them had graduated, the chapter closed. I believe this is the same situation for all of the other sororities at Barnard, too.
Thanks for the link. I love the arguments and conclusions. Some of them are really ridiculous!

AOII