GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,050
1 members and 1,049 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

WA state resident looking to rush at Ole Miss - Any Advice?

Hi ladies (and gents)!

First of all I'd like to introduce myself a little... I am 19 years old and am in Seattle, WA. I will be graduating from a local community college w/ my AA in General Studies and am planning on transferring to Ole Miss. I have been to the South before and absolutely love the culture. I have wanted to join a sorority since I was a little girl and am just wondering if anyone could offer any tips, insight, etc. on rushing at an SEC university, especially for a Northern woman.

My GPA is about a 3.7, but I will be transferring there as a Junior. I plan on triple majoring so will be spending between 3-4 years at Ole Miss - will this be taken into consideration at all?

I have read that SEC universities are extremely competitive. I will be starting school in the Fall 2008 term. One of my good friends is a Tri-Delt at Washington State University, but she will still be an active member when I rush, so I'm not sure if she will be able to write me a rec.

I am more than willing to dedicate lots of time and effort into preparing for this experience, because, like I said, it is something I have dreamed of for years and am very, very excited to do. Any suggestions, tidbits, insight, advice, etc. is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceena View Post
My GPA is about a 3.7, but I will be transferring there as a Junior. I plan on triple majoring so will be spending between 3-4 years at Ole Miss - will this be taken into consideration at all?
During your conversations throughout Rush, I would definitely mention that your plan is to spend 3-4 years on campus.

Welcome to GreekChat. Best of luck to you!

Oxford, MS is a wonderful place.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, good luck.

Unfortunately, my initial impression is that this could be a very difficult process. Ole Miss is perhaps the most competitive greek school in the country, and people have been known to transfer to highly thought of MS private schools their senior year of HS to help their chances during rush. I'm glad you enjoy the culture, you'll need to embrace it fully in rush. Seems like a tough line to toe, you'll want to show you can fit into the traditional southern sorority culture, but you don't want to seem like you're chasing the novelty. I think your age could be a hindrance as well, and like the above poster stated, you'll want to assure people you'll be around for a solid period of time.

I'm sure there are some UM people on here who can give more directed advice.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

there are several threads on recruitment at ole miss. i would look under something like "ole miss rush thread". if that brings no results, then just go the the rush forum, under recruitment stories and start looking. there is a long thread entitled "SEC rush" which might also be helpful.

you will need recommendations to each sorority at ole miss.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm going to be honest, I have Greek friends there and I've never heard of a junior transfer getting a bid at Ole Miss.

Keep in mind that most of the girls rushing there will be freshmen with recs to every chapter and dazzling resumes filled with community service, sports, and even pageant titles. Alot of them are from the same states/towns as sorority members so they might be better connected. Many of the girls are legacies also (sisters/daughters/granddaughters of sorority members).

In addtion, you will need recs for as many of the sororities as you can get.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if they have an upperclassmen quota? I can't really see that they would, being that the houses are already overflowing....

My advice is to decide what you're willing to accept. If you think you would only want to be in a top or middle group, I wouldn't waste the time rushing...if you don't mind being in one of the "smaller" groups, than go in with an open mind and see what happens...
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi ladies (and gents)!

I will be graduating from a local community college w/ my AA in General Studies and am planning on transferring to Ole Miss.
Just out of curiousity, what brings you to Ole Miss? I don't mean to offend anyone but I'd imagine there would be a lot more opportunities in Seattle than Oxford. You might enjoy the south, which is wonderful, but Ole Miss is going to quite a shock. That being said, I'd like to echo the others and add that Mississippi contains a very insular culture. I went through rush at a liberal arts college in MS with only four sororities, mind you, and you better believe connections were of the utmost importance. Juniors rarely got received bids. I don't want to discourage you from Greek Life but I guess I just don't quite understand your move.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

None taken.

In one respect, you are right...Seattle is a very liberal city with tons and tons of opportunity, however, liberal is not what I'm looking for.

I have always been intrigued by Southern culture and for years it has been my goal to go to college in the South and stay down there. Whether I decide to work or get married and raise a family, I know that that's where I want to be. It is quite a different culture from Seattle, and I have spent some time down there. I'll admit my time has been limited but I loved the time I spent down there.

And why Ole Miss specifically? I have read that they have a pretty good Southern Studies program, which is one of my planned majors. It is in the really deep south, which is what I want, as well.

I grew up out in the country on a farm, so I was raised not necessarily more "in-tune" with Southern culture, but just less-so with the liberal culture of the city. I don't have aspirations to become a high powered exec somewhere...I just want to go to college and enjoy living in the South.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And why Ole Miss specifically? I have read that they have a pretty good Southern Studies program, which is one of my planned majors.
What kind of career does one persue with a Southern Studies degree? I'm intrigued.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not sure exactly what career a Southern Studies degree would be useful in, but I'm a "career scholar" type if there ever was one.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure exactly what career a Southern Studies degree would be useful in, but I'm a "career scholar" type if there ever was one.
From the webpage of the Ole Miss Center for the Study of Southern Culture:

Southern Studies alumni have gone on to work for institutions such as the Mississippi Department of Archives and History; Teach for American; CNN; Southern Living magazine; the New Orleans Museum of Art; the Southern Poverty Law Center; the National Black Arts Festival in Atlanta; the Valentine Museum in Richmond; Jazz Fest in New Orleans; the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University; the Illinois Humanities Council; and the National Endowment for the Arts. Others have entered law school, business school, and graduate programs in the humanities at such institutions as the University of Texas, Emory University, the University of Georgia, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the College of William and Mary, and Brown University.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL. Must be nice.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
What kind of career does one persue with a Southern Studies degree? I'm intrigued.
Expert GreekChat commentator in the "drinking directly from a bottle" threads, of course.

I think that you can do anything with a Southern Studies degree that you could do with straight up English, history, or political science. So, I think teach, go to law school, go to grad school, or any sales position for which a company wants you to have a college degree but will train you on the product line are on the short list.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtheSunrose View Post
Just out of curiousity, what brings you to Ole Miss? I don't mean to offend anyone but I'd imagine there would be a lot more opportunities in Seattle than Oxford. You might enjoy the south, which is wonderful, but Ole Miss is going to quite a shock. That being said, I'd like to echo the others and add that Mississippi contains a very insular culture. I went through rush at a liberal arts college in MS with only four sororities, mind you, and you better believe connections were of the utmost importance. Juniors rarely got received bids. I don't want to discourage you from Greek Life but I guess I just don't quite understand your move.
Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing, since she said that she's always wanted to be in a sorority. UW has the biggest greek system on the west coast, and she would stand a very good chance at getting a bid there.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing, since she said that she's always wanted to be in a sorority. UW has the biggest greek system on the west coast, and she would stand a very good chance at getting a bid there.
Agreed, if you've "always wanted to be Greek", you'd probably have a MUCH better chance at any of the big schools in WA (like WSU or UWashington). But of course your academics are important and you should go where you feel is best for you academically. I guess it all depends on which is more important.

Lakers Nation.