GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,190
1 members and 1,189 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Best Fraternities at UF?

I am a incoming freshman and I intend to rush a frat at the University of Florida. I was just wondering if any guys/girls at Florida could recommend which are the best. Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
The best fraternity is one that matches your goals, needs, and ethics and at which you feel most welcome.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Paging SECdomination and others in the Anti-Jorts Brigade!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Chapter resource: http://www.greeks.ufl.edu/resources/...sp?council=ifc

Last edited by banditone; 03-14-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Paging SECdomination and others in the Anti-Jorts Brigade!
Haha, I'm here! Potential protege?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman22 View Post
I am a incoming freshman and I intend to rush a frat at the University of Florida. I was just wondering if any guys/girls at Florida could recommend which are the best. Thanks

-Read up on the rush process linked to the IFC page at:
www.greeks.ufl.edu AND www.greekgator.com , it will help you understand the terminology and know what to expect.

-Don't ever say "frat" again.

-Read the "Biggest Rush Mistakes at Any Institution" thread on this site. It will help you avoid common mistakes.

-I sent you a private message, so get back to be on that.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I know we hate tiers here, but I saw someone post them on another thread, so I'm going to post MY OPINION ON THE TIERS AT UF- NO OTHER COMMENTS. And I'm going to hope that this won't get deleted, since it's not offensive.

1st
Alpha Tau Omega
Kappa Alpha
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
-
Sigma Chi
Sigma Phi Epsilon

2nd
Beta Theta Pi
Theta Chi
-
Phi Delta Theta
Delta Tau Delta
-
Delta Chi
Chi Phi
Sigma Nu

3rd
Lambda Chi Alpha
Zeta Beta Tau
Alpha Epsilon Pi
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Tau Epsilon Phi
Pi Lambda Phi
Pi Kappa Phi
Phi Kappa Tau
-
Sigma Pi
Phi Gamma Delta
Delta Upsilon

Once they make it to the top 16, they'll have a homecoming partner.

Last edited by SECdomination; 03-14-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
I know we hate tiers here, but I saw someone post them on another thread, so I'm going to post MY OPINION ON THE TIERS AT UF- NO OTHER COMMENTS. And I'm going to hope that this won't get deleted, since it's not offensive.

1st
Alpha Tau Omega
Kappa Alpha
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
-
Sigma Chi
Sigma Phi Epsilon

2nd
Beta Theta Pi
Theta Chi
-
Phi Delta Theta
Delta Tau Delta
-
Delta Chi
Chi Phi
Sigma Nu

3rd
Lambda Chi Alpha
Zeta Beta Tau
Alpha Epsilon Pi
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Tau Epsilon Phi
Pi Lambda Phi
Pi Kappa Phi
Phi Kappa Tau
-
Sigma Pi
Phi Gamma Delta
Delta Upsilon

Once they make it to the top 16, they'll have a homecoming partner.
It's correct, and not offensive. Though I wasn't aware Sig Ep had made the top tier.

hm.. Florida.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I sent you a private message, so get back to me on that.
LOL. Barkin' orders at him when he hasn't even rushed yet.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

SECdomination, I found your list interesting.

I attended UF ages ago, but it seems like yesterday! I know it is your opinion, but it was fun to see how things do change with time; and I welcome hearing what anyone thinks/feels about greek life at UF.

I also wanted to add my opinion. I don't really understand why everyone gets on edge when we speak of tiers etc. at any college or university. As difficult as it may be, there is somewhat of a tier system if you want to call it that. I find it all a very interesting and intriguing topic. No one wants to hear that their group is not in the top tier according to many opinions, but just remember it is "opinion". It is also a fact of life that people view everything in this type of judgemental fashion.

I respect all fraternity and sorority houses regardless of what anyone says, but I also know that at any university there are some that are more desired than others during recruitment. I am not afraid to admit that some houses choose their members on more of a superficial level as well. Although I may not agree with it, I will honestly admit that it did happen when I was at UF and I am quite sure that it continues on.

On a final and most important note, I am also wise enough to know that there is greatness in membership of all houses and that is what I tend to keep first and foremost in my thoughts!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel GreekChat in general gets very upset by the notion of tiers when it's a reality at every campus. That being said, now that you have this information about tiers don't get set on the top tier unless that's really you. To be blunt, if you don't have the personality and image don't waste your time only looking at top tier fraternities because it won't work out. Be realistic. Also take some time to note if the chapter is as excited about you as you are about them. I know every semester we have guys show up to our rush events and act so excited about joining when brothers are showing them subtle signs that they may not fit in. They are cut the next day. The majority of the chapters have a good brotherhood and I'm guessing at a school like UF most chapters will have a good social experience. So with that in mind make sure you at least check out a couple chapters in all the tiers to see where your personality will fall.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
It's correct, and not offensive. Though I wasn't aware Sig Ep had made the top tier.

hm.. Florida.
Sig Ep is not a traditional southern fraternity here, so I can understand your confusion. However, they have been on top for more than a few years, so it's nothing too new.

Don't get started on a "Florida not being a southern state" speech. I hear it way too often, and it gets old fast.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't get started on a "Florida not being a southern state" speech. I hear it way too often, and it gets old fast.
kinda like constantly hearing how awesome greek life and football at SEC schools are? oo! couldn't resist!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
kinda like constantly hearing how awesome greek life and football at SEC schools are? oo! couldn't resist!
I don't have a response, so I wasn't going to write one. But then I thought that I'd be hassled more because I didn't write a response.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sig Ep is not a traditional southern fraternity here, so I can understand your confusion. However, they have been on top for more than a few years, so it's nothing too new.

Oh. Like Pike being top-tier at FSU type deal? I understand it.

I just honestly wasn't aware of a decent Sig Ep chapter anywhere in an SEC school, including Florida.

I wasn't going to rag on you on the issue of the Southernality of Florida. As long as you keep representing the SEC in football, I'm okay with it. Even if Tebow is the worst Heisman winner. Including Jason White.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
255/390 - 65.4%
3205 yards
35tds / 9 int
On a team with Adrian Peterson in the backfield. Lay off J.White bro!