GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,439
2 members and 2,437 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 AM
GreekChat Member

time commitment as a new member

Hi! I've been reading through as much stuff as I can but am still curious about time commitment.

I understand that the more time you put in, the more you get out of an organization and am sure that if I found a GLO on my campus that I loved I would want to give it all the time in the world!

But...I am really involved in this club on campus that has become a big commitment. I am going into my 3rd year and have been in the club since day 1. I am on the council of the club and that in itself it a commitment.

So...ballpark for time commitment (per week)? anyone?

(I've already read through all the "older students as new members stuff" but am still a little nervous about that one too!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-24-2005, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

it really really depends on the campus and group. I was there a lot, but it's hard to say because I would hang around to get to know the sisters and things. Even outside that, there's so many mandatory events it IS a big time commitment. That's not saying that you can't do other things or be officers in other orgs (I was treasurer of Habitat for Humanity when I pledged, which was difficult at times b/c i'd be running all around to different things and meetings). But it is a big time commitment, especially your first semester.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that being part of a GLO is a huge time committment, especially during your new member period. However, real life in general is about time committments, being able to prioritize and BUDGET your time accordingly. If you are asked to join a particular organization, be sure to communicate your schedule with the sisters. A planner should be your new best friend.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: time commitment as a new member

Quote:
Originally posted by artiste
Hi! I've been reading through as much stuff as I can but am still curious about time commitment.

I understand that the more time you put in, the more you get out of an organization and am sure that if I found a GLO on my campus that I loved I would want to give it all the time in the world!

But...I am really involved in this club on campus that has become a big commitment. I am going into my 3rd year and have been in the club since day 1. I am on the council of the club and that in itself it a commitment.

So...ballpark for time commitment (per week)? anyone?

(I've already read through all the "older students as new members stuff" but am still a little nervous about that one too!)
I tried to resist, but:
Old 06-24-2005, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
I agree that being part of a GLO is a huge time committment, especially during your new member period. However, real life in general is about time committments, being able to prioritize and BUDGET your time accordingly. If you are asked to join a particular organization, be sure to communicate your schedule with the sisters. A planner should be your new best friend.
Great post!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Re: time commitment as a new member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
I tried to resist, but:
I'm afraid some people don't understand the significance a Greek org takes in your life once you join. I also think that there are too many people who don't think ahead to the fact that they'd be members for life. (That's the nicest way I could say it.)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: time commitment as a new member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
I'm afraid some people don't understand the significance a Greek org takes in your life once you join. I also think that there are too many people who don't think ahead to the fact that they'd be members for life. (That's the nicest way I could say it.)
Nice indeed.

It's laughable to ask for a ballpark of time commitment.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

It is close to impossible to give you hours of time required. There are so many varying factors that would have to be accounted for. ie, what type of system are you joining, a low key system where there are a few events a week? Or a more intense system where there are greek based events every night? Are you an officer for your new member class? What kind of events would this require work on? Are you on a sorority committee? Are you on jr panhel? What kind of classes are you taking? Sports? Internships? boyfriend? friends? How many of the sorority activities are mandatory? Which ones are? Sometimes you can double task and get mandatory study hours when you would be studying anyway. And then you need to factor in that you should spend time with your new sisters to get to know them better, so throw in lunches, dinners etc as bonding time.

You could spend a minium of let's say 6 hours a week or you could spend 24/7. It is wise to think about time committment, but really you have to decide (in my opinion) if you are willing to rearrange your life to be in a sorority. If you aren't, and will get upset and frustrated at time requirements, I would not suggest joining. I think it is especially harder for older new members sometimes to reorganize their lives. They are usually much more established than first-years so there is more to change.

did this make sense? Just my opinion
Old 06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pixell
One thing a lot of new members don't realize (I know I didn't), is that you really should do more than the mandatory to get to know the members of your organization. When I joined, I was a junior, an RA and all around very busy already. So I just did the mandatory and assumed I'd be fine. The beginning of the next semester I realized just how much I'd missed out on by not just hanging out with the sisters. I agree with the above poster that said when you join you have to reorganize your life. It was difficult for me to adapt my schedule to being in a sorority but it was totally worth the time and stress it took to do so. Remember that if you're going to join a new group, you might have to cut something out of your life or shorten the amount of time you spend on it.
YES! I went through the same thing. The semester I pledged I was Treasurer of KKPsi, Section Leader in marching band and working 20 hours a week, in addition to joining a sorority. I started to notice how much more my pledge sisters were bonding w/ the sisters, and it hurt to know that I wasn't as close. I guess I felt left out.

One other thing to consider is that the other club members may not be as receptive to your "going Greek" as you would like. Are you willing to put that strain on your relationship with them?

I think one thing you'll find is that no matter how much time you allot for the GLO, you'll want to spend more and more.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I know very well about all the time one puts in just by hanging out and getting to know people. I have been, one could say, OVERinvolved with my club and totally know that "mandatory time" really means nothing. Every event we've ever had I was there!

The lifetime commitment is actually one of the biggest reasons I would want to join a sorority (apart from the girls of course). I didn't mean to offend with asking for a "ballpark", I realize that it probably differs across the board. As much as I love the club, etc., my commmitment to it pretty much ends the day I graduate and I like the idea of being in something where my membership would continue past that day.

AXiD670, I am pretty sure many of the club's members would be confused by my choice. The greek community at my school isn't very big and is not a "big thing" either. As much as I feel it is a decision that is mine alone, I have made some very deep friendships in the club and would not want to sacrifice those. And the fact that the club is a social/service club for girls may confuse all the people (non-greek) who already think I'm in a sorority :s

Thanks everyone for the variety of helpful opinions
Old 06-24-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artiste
The lifetime commitment is actually one of the biggest reasons I would want to join a sorority (apart from the girls of course). I didn't mean to offend with asking for a "ballpark", I realize that it probably differs across the board. As much as I love the club, etc., my commmitment to it pretty much ends the day I graduate and I like the idea of being in something where my membership would continue past that day.
*thumbs up*