GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,452
0 members and 1,452 guests
No Members online

Old 11-14-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

duh....

you're supposed to give the baby a big tablespoon of dramamine or cough syrup so they don't wake up. Jeez....amateurs.....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-14-2002, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

:eek:

This is just so sad... I feel so bad for that little baby. This of how scarred he or she must have been in a house all by itself! I hope the baby is put in the home of someone who truly loves and CARES for this child as much as it deserves.

And as for that so-called "mother" she needs to have her rights terminated and her tubes tied.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: duh....

Quote:
Originally posted by TKESweetheart
you're supposed to give the baby a big tablespoon of dramamine or cough syrup so they don't wake up. Jeez....amateurs.....

LMAO
Old 11-14-2002, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I'm really outraged by the amount of child neglect cases that keep surfacing.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This is terrible!!!
It is the fault of the sisters, who the girl trusted her child with
It is also the fault of the girl for not freaking out when the very same friends that she trusted her child with showed up at the party.
If it were me, I would have been causing a huge scene when they showed up and said "Oh, we put your kid to bed, but the door's locked"
Don't these girls realize that it's not always the things outside the door that can hurt the child, but the things inside too?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
This is terrible!!!
It is the fault of the sisters, who the girl trusted her child with
It is also the fault of the girl for not freaking out
NO!!!!! It is the woman's fault for LEAVING her child without adequate supervision....PERIOD. And I am sorry, but I will just come out with the dang CONSERVATIVE team locked away in my brain and say that if you choose to have a child, then you give up your right to partying at all hours of the night until that child is either old enough to get help if needed, or you provide adequate supervision.....that's just irresponsible (and how could you figure leaving your kid at 3am would be anything other than irresponsible) and CRIMINAL.

I am NOT saying that you can't go out and have a good time, but you can't do that if you don't know FOR SURE that the person/people you are leaving her with will take care of her.

UGH!! This boggles my mind!

For those of you who wonder about leaving a child alone -- I have found that Eli does something I never thought about....he will be sound asleep, and will throw up or spit up in his sleep. That's a great reason not to leave babies unattended.

No one ever told me that NEVER again would I be able to hear a story of abuse/neglect/abandonment/etc. the same way after becoming a mom. Yeah, before I was a mom, it was a *sad* thing --- now that I'm a mom, its nothing short of tragic...even when nothing *bad* happens. I never knew that the cries of children I will never know could hurt me like they do.

I think her punishment should be having to go sit in therapy with parents who have lost their children -- whether through acts of irresponsibility or accident -- maybe then she'll realize its time to trade the little-black-pants for the flannel PJ's and the nightcaps that she drinks to the night caps that she puts on baby's head to keep her warm at night.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum
maybe then she'll realize its time to trade the little-black-pants for the flannel PJ's and the nightcaps that she drinks to the night caps that she puts on baby's head to keep her warm at night.
One can only hope!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum
No one ever told me that NEVER again would I be able to hear a story of abuse/neglect/abandonment/etc. the same way after becoming a mom. Yeah, before I was a mom, it was a *sad* thing --- now that I'm a mom, its nothing short of tragic...even when nothing *bad* happens. I never knew that the cries of children I will never know could hurt me like they do.
AXOAlum,

Bravo! I'm proud of you.

This situation is probably the result of a young woman who is not mature enough to be a mother. Thankfully, there wasn't a tragic end to the story.

I can't help but wonder who and where the father was.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

<<NO!!!!! It is the woman's fault for LEAVING her child without adequate supervision....PERIOD>>
From what the news said, she left her child with her sisters, so she did not intentionally leave her child alone. She left the child in someone's care. It was those sisters who left the child alone, and the girl's definitely at fault for not reacting when the sisters who were watching her baby showed up at the party
Old 11-16-2002, 12:10 AM

At 3:00 AM? With a baby? I don't think so.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Has anyone stopped to consider that most parents of young children are waaaay too tired to even think about going out, esp that late? What is she doing (or not doing) so that she has the energy to go out that late? I have no children and I would find it hard to go out that late at night. Forget it if I had kids.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
Has anyone stopped to consider that most parents of young children are waaaay too tired to even think about going out, esp that late? What is she doing (or not doing) so that she has the energy to go out that late? I have no children and I would find it hard to go out that late at night. Forget it if I had kids.
You took the words right out of my mouth!!! I have a 20 month old, and when she goes to sleep SO DO I. Now I'll go out on occassion, a rare occassion, not even because I don't want to leave her late (which I don't most of the time) but because I'M tired!! A child that has started walking and half talking will run you ragged. The fact that she has the energy to go out at 3 in the morning says that she isn't the one taking care of the baby most of the time. Which is sad. I'm sorry, but I would not leave my daughter with ANYONE whom I didn't trust IMPLICITLY, sorority sister or not. Watching my child is not like letting someone borrow clothes or money, my child is a person, and a young person who doesn't know better about a lot of things, so to leave her with GROWN person who doesn't know any better is asking for trouble. I don't even leave her in the living room if I have to go to the bathroom unless she's in her chair. Baby proofing, while it should be done, isn't foolproof. Kids do get smart, and eventually they'll figure out how to get around those things (my daughter tries to anyway! lol).
Old 11-16-2002, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Unbelieveable! What the heck was she thinking? I can't believe she didn't flip out at the party when she saw her "babysitters" there. Whether the door was locked or not is not even the issue...common sense tells you that. An unsupervised child at home alone is unsafe...PERIOD. There are just too many dangers inside the home for a child that age. I hope child protective services steps in because something just ain't right...

I don't even let my seven year old son go to a public bathroom by himself. I used to take him into the ladies room with me when he was younger. Now that he's older he outright refuses to use the women's bathroom. And, rightly so. Sooooooo, now I go into the men's room with him (after annoucing that a lady is coming in) just to make sure nothing happens to my child. There's nothing in there I haven't seen already anyway and I've never encountered anyone who had a problem with it. I'm sure all of you parents (and even non-parents) can recall cases of children being molested or even murdered in a public bathrooms...sign of the times we live in. Sad.

I don't understand how she could have had a good time at that party knowing her baby was home alone. That just baffles me. Sometimes, it takes all my concentration to have a good time when I go out with my hubby and our son is with his grandparents. Maybe I'm just a worrier...
Old 11-17-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ECUGSS
Exclamation reading between the lines

Well, first of all the headline NEVER said "penn state sorority girl", its actually said, "Woman Accused of Leaving Child". It just happens to mention that she left the child w/ sorority sisters.
Second of all, do you all believe EVERYTHING you read in the papers and verbatim? Just because she asked "if they had locked the door of the apartment" doesn't mean she didn't ask anything else or do anything else. Who are we to assume about what she did or didn't say. And I do believe that the sitters should get charged as well because they were the ones who left the child. Just because all mothers of young children (I have a 16-month-old and another one on the way) don't go out partying doesn't mean that because we hear of one that does, she is a horrible person. No of us know her, yet everyone here is sitting there passing judgement on her w/out hearing both COMPLETE sides of the story. Its like how mad we all get when we hear stereotypes about Greeks because you *KNOW* your organization is different but they aren't interviewing you or asking for your side.

My point is that yes, based on the information presented in the article it sounds like a horrible story but you need to stop and think about what the other side of the coin looks like.

Karen
Old 11-17-2002, 02:58 PM

As far as I'm concerned, if a mom wants to leave her baby or young child with a sitter and go out dancing till 5 AM - more power to her. To imply that she's a bad mother because of that is not fair. Everyone needs a break from mommyhood once in a while - continually denying yourself just makes you resent the child.

But be sure that child is left with someone who knows how to care for children!!! It sounds like the women who were the "babysitters" didn't have a clue.