GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,141
0 members and 1,141 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2002, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cr8zeebabe
lookin 4 help on bringing a new chapter to my school

A friend and I are looking for someone who can help us out on bringing a new chapter to our school. We would like to start it up and be in charge of it. If anyone knows how we could start to do this and can lead us in the right direction please e-mail me cr8zeebabe@yahoo.com. Thanx.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2002, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Helpful....

It might be helpful if you tell us whether you're looking for a fraternity or a sorority...... and about your school.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:20 PM

With an email address like cr8zeebabe, I assume you are female, so here goes....

How Do I Start a New Chapter?

In approaching a National to come to your campus, you would write to the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) at www.npcwomen.org to their Extention Committee.
Basically, no group can come to your campus, unless the campus is declared open for extension by the NPC.

I copied this from a website, which should help you:

What can I do if I have a special interest in having ______ on a campus?

NPC guidelines provide for orderly extension procedures. _____ may express interest in colonization by filing a letter of interest with a college or university. However, no contact with students may be initiated by the Fraternity unless the campus is officially open for extension.

_______ alumnae interest and opinions are very important to us when we consider extension opportunities. Alumnae may advise the Fraternity of your interest and your recommendation will be carefully considered. We want to hear from you!

How is NPC (National Panhellenic Conference) involved with the extension process?

The Extension Committee of the National Panhellenic Conference serves as a clearinghouse for colleges, Panhellenics, and individual fraternities in the field of extension. All NPC groups have agreed upon fair and orderly extension procedures, which are directed by the NPC extension committee. _________ carefully follows these guidelines and cooperates fully with both the local college administration and NPC.

The Extension Committee of NPC will assist any campus wishing to add an NPC sorority chapter or establish a Panhellenic system. The Extension Committee will also assist any local sorority wishing to affiliate with _________ or any other National Panhellenic Conference member group. Any individual, college Panhellenic, or local sorority needing informationshould contact:

Extension Committee of NPC
NPC Central Office
3905 Vincennes Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
(317) 872-3185 - phone
(317) 872-3192 - fax
npccentral@npcwomen.com
www.npcwomen.org

How does a local sorority or interest group become a ________chapter?

__________does accept local sororities/interest groups as colonies. However, the process differs depending on the local situation. Again, we follow NPC guidelines.

How are new members chosen for a colony?

Colony members may be members of a local sorority seeking international affiliation, or new members may be selected by a Fraternity team of officers participating in a recruitment effort on a campus. Sometimes _____ is the only group colonizing on a campus; sometimes __________ participates in a multiple colonization in concert with other NPC groups.

Do we ever have the chance to reestablish a closed chapter?

Yes, and often we have done so. However, this is entirely dependent upon the campus situation. According to NPC guidelines, the invitation for recolonization must come from the campus Panhellenic.

What is my first step if I have an interest group on a campus and want to pursue affiliation with ____________?

It is unethical for an NPC fraternity to establish a chapter on a campus without the approval of the proper authority on that campus. The "proper authority" in most cases is the college Panhellenic on that campus. In the case of a campus without an organized college Panhellenic, the administration would constitute "proper authority".

The local interest group must receive the approval from the proper authority on their campus before pursuing affiliation with _______________. Please contact the National Panhellenic Conference Extension Committee with any questions about this process.