GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,666
0 members and 1,666 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

By all means get rec letters. FSU Zeta's posts are full of great info about how to proceed. And asking your Mom's friend if she has alum friends in other groups is a great idea. Most NPC alums are happy to help you have a great rush.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey just chiming in to say I only had a recommendation to one chapter when I rushed at FSU and it wasn't for the chapter I got a bid for. I personally don't know anyone I rushed with who had recs but everyone still says they're important on here. I'd say they won't hurt but don't stress out about it too much.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

No! Bad advice!

Recommendations and low GPA are the two easiest cuts a sorority makes. FSU is a tough, competitive recruitment and a PNM needs as many cards stacked in her favor as she can get. That means get your recommendations in asap. Several sororities require a recommendation for each of their new members before they can be pledged. Unless you are the world's most sought after PNM, get a rec for each sorority.

Since you will be experiencing rush for the sorority side this year, your perspective and your advice may change.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alum now. In all my experience in my chapter and with those I know in other chapters no one has stressed recs but of course that's not to say they aren't still valued or that Fsu is not competitive because it certainly is. That's just my perspective of course.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Which sorority are you a member of?

ZTA has a national requirement that each PNM must have a rec before she is pledged. That is not to say that if the most awesome PNM in the world walks thru Beta Gamma's front door without a rec, that the chapter won't work hard to find one for her, but with 1000's of girls rushing, they don't have time to do that and the chapters won't do it.

As to the other orgs that require recs, I will let my Panhellenic sisters identify their org. as one requiring recs if they wish to do so.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with FSUZeta. Hoping a sorority will fall in love with you and try to find an alum to write you a rec is asking to get dropped. In a competitive recruitment like FSU, you need to have as many advantages as you can.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Just chiming in to say that although you may only be aware of one rec that you had going in, that's not to say that you didn't possibly have others you didn't know about.

ΑΓΔ
Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure that SoFlogirl means well, but her advice is not dependable. I found and reread her rush thread here on GC and she did not have a stellar rush-her first or second time rushing. In her 2nd rush, Once invitations were issued, she did not have a full party list. Had she had recommendations that might have been different. Luckily, she was happy with the bid she did receive, and in the end that is what matters, but you have to have parties to make it to bid day and all things being equal, the girl with recommendations will get the invitations.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-21-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

What FSUZeta said!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

There are already 1,000 women registered for FSU recruitment. If numbers hold true to the past few years, there will be 2,000 signed up by the registration deadline. Recs will definitely help you and not hurt you at all. They will help you"stand out" a bit in such a large PNM pool.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
You must know older girls who graduated from your HS who joined sororities. Ask them. Ask your classmates/friends if they have a sister, mother, aunt, cousin, friend, who is a sorority member. Ask your teachers. Ask your neighbors. Have your parents ask their friends and co workers. If you live in one of the metro areas there should be an alumnae Panhellenic and or individual sorority alumnae chapters there. Google and Facebook search. And get to work.
To be clear, if you are going to FSU, the recommendations you get from sorority alumnae for the sororities you are interested at FSU do not have to be from graduates of those FSU chapters, but may be alumnae from other schools with the same sorority. Each year about this time, my wife's sorority sends her recommendation forms to send to any school where she wishes to recommend a potential new member.

With this in mind, getting a recommendation should be easier. I also recall a lengthy tread in the Sorority Recruitment section on how to get recommendations from various sources.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Soflogirl - think of it this way:
You are interviewing for a position at a company you're really interested in. (Let's use Disney as an example.) You know people who work for Disney, though maybe not at the Burbank headquarters where you are interviewing. Would you NOT get referrals from the Disney workers you know to say a good word for you???
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi y'all,
Thank you for all of the advice and support on here! I've actually been quite fruitful in finding different alumnae and networking!
I'm glad I asked about the importance of recommendations on here as everyone has been so helpful!
Rush is about a month away and there are still a few sororities that I'm interested in but I haven't been able to find any alumnae. I've reached out to a few of their alumnae chapters near me, but I haven't gotten a response yet.
I know some sororities require that the alum personally knows the PNM, so if I were to rush a sorority and they really liked me they would find me an alum to write me one? I'm still a tiny bit confused on that!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all,and I mean this in the best way, you are interested in ALL the sororities at FSU as you need to keep an open mind on ALL the groups.

SEcond, contact the PBC Alumnae PH here for the remainder of your recs:

https://www.facebook.com/Panhellenic...8492270829000/