GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,321
0 members and 2,321 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2006, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
33, I see what you are saying and I agree to a point. If a suitable AAC cannot be filled with either AOIIs or the majority AOIIs then the opportunity needs further thought. However, let me give you an example. My collegiate chapter has 17 active advisers. A rarity I know. Some of these positions are extremely low key. I don't see why a recent AI couldn't hold one of those positions. It will get her feet wet as far as advising is concerned and she will definitely learn more about the Fraternity.

ETA: I also agree that we need to engage more of our alumnae members. It's not just for AACs but ACs as well. They don't know what they are missing!

Last edited by aopirose; 05-03-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM

It can't be a revenue raiser because our annual alumna dues are only like $35, and when you add in initiation and a badge fee, it's only like $300. And Tri Sigma maybe does like 10-20 AI's every year nationally. So it's not much in comparison to the dues from collegiate members.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-03-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
I can see the point that no, you would not want the advisory board for a newly colonized chapter to be mainly AI members or members who haven't been around the fraternity since they graduated. On the other hand, how much is the AAC relied upon for the first year? I can't speak for other groups but having been on an AAC for a new chapter, I know that we were basically in the shadows, learning just as the new chapter learned. The chapter was advised by their resident graduate consultant and International officers. It is at least a year, if not two before new Pi Phi chapters are advised by local AACs.

It is one thing to AI the alumnae of that local which is being colonized or one or two local women known as quality volunteers to the others who will serve on housing or advisory boards but if there are not enough alumnae to support a chapter, why would you colonize there?

From what I've seen, the bigger issue is not in NEW chapters but rather the older chapters in small towns. 90 years ago, they didn't worry about how much alumnae support would remain in that small town or that the one alum who remained on faculty would tire of being the adviser after 20 years. Those are the chapters that benefit from having someone AI'd to be an adviser.