GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 756
0 members and 756 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051011...n_051011075555

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Tearful "Grease" star Olivia Newton-John broke her silence about the mysterious disappearance of her boyfriend at sea three months ago, saying she was still praying for his safe return.

Camerman Patrick Kim McDermott, 48, who has been involved romantically with Newton-John for nine years, has been missing since July 1 after he set out on what was to have been an overnight fishing trip from Los Angeles.

"It's really, really painful for me and it's really, really personal," the Australian star, who shot to fame in her role as Sandra Dee in 1978's smash hit "Grease," told "Entertainment Tonight".

"We miss him. We love him. We're still kind of praying there's a chance he'll come back," she told the US syndicated celebrity show.

McDermott set out in a boat on an overnight fishing expedition from Los Angeles' San Pedro harbour on June 10, but was only noticed missing when he failed to show up for a family event on July 6, Los Angeles police said.

Five days later, his family began a search and discovered his car near a marina in San Pedro. His personal items were found on the fishing boat, but no trace of the cameraman was found, according to police....
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tickled Pink 2
the Australian star, who shot to fame in her role as Sandra Dee in 1978's smash hit "Grease," told "Entertainment Tonight".
Somebody check me on this, but as I recall, she played a girl named Sandy, who sang a song called "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee."

I don't think she played "Sandra Dee."

Am I wrong?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 10-12-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Somebody check me on this, but as I recall, she played a girl named Sandy, who sang a song called "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee."

Am I wrong?
I think you are correct. Did Sandy even have a last name?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
I think you are correct. Did Sandy even have a last name?
Yeah. I got curious. According to her "filmography" on the web, she played Sandy Olsson.

Sandra Dee was a model and actress, now deceased, who was a "teen queen" who married "teen idol" Bobby Darren.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Yeah. I got curious. According to her "filmography" on the web, she played Sandy Olsson.

Good job, internet detective!!! I heart google.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:

Am I wrong?
***Putting up my bulletproof sheild*** Personally, I abosolutely hate/ abhor/ detest Grease. The writer probably got confused with the song that the mean girl sings (see - I don't even know her name...) during the slumber party( ???) that says "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee..." <---- that is what she sings, right????
Old 10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tickled Pink 2
***Putting up my bulletproof sheild*** Personally, I abosolutely hate/ abhor/ detest Grease. The writer probably got confused with the song that the mean girl sings (see - I don't even know her name...) during the slumber party( ???) that says "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee..." <---- that is what she sings, right????
That's what she sings, but it is at the end, right after the car race and before she goes and gets made over into "bad girl Sandy".

I loved that movie.

I doubt the writer got confused. It was probably done on purpose, cause wasn't Sandra Dee a real goody-goody type of girl? And that's how Sandy was seen as well. All I know is that the last line of that song says, "Good-bye to Sandra Dee." and then she goes and gets made over.

Sorry, I think I know too much about Grease.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
That's what she sings, but it is at the end, right after the car race and before she goes and gets made over into "bad girl Sandy".

I loved that movie.

I doubt the writer got confused. It was probably done on purpose, cause wasn't Sandra Dee a real goody-goody type of girl? And that's how Sandy was seen as well. All I know is that the last line of that song says, "Good-bye to Sandra Dee." and then she goes and gets made over.

Sorry, I think I know too much about Grease.
You are right. The Pink Ladies were teasing Sandy because she was goody-goody type too and comparing her to Sandra Dee. The first line is something like "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee, lousy with virgin-i-ty. I won't go to bed 'til I'm legally wed...."

I used to be able to quote the entire movie.

Back to the orginal topic. How is someone with friends and family missing for almost a month and no one notices?? That seems odd to me....
Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sandra Dee was a model and actress, now deceased, who was a "teen queen" who married "teen idol" Bobby Darren.
Or Alexandra Zuck (Sandra Dee's real name). But then her ex-husband's real name was Walden Robert Cassotto - better known as Bobby Darin. (The Darin was taken from the last two syllables of 'Mandarin', a restaurant in New York's Chinatown.)

(It's amazing what tidbits you learn from watching the Biography Channel...)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse

Back to the orginal topic. How is someone with friends and family missing for almost a month and no one notices?? That seems odd to me....

True. I hope it wasn't any type of foul play.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they changed Sandy's last name in the movie. I am 99% sure that in the stage version, Sandy has a Polish-sounding last name (and was from Chicago).
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Her last name in the stage version is Dumbrowski. (God, how do I retain this stuff)
Old 10-12-2005, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Olivia Newton John's Missing Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by sigtau305
True. I hope it wasn't any type of foul play.
It's strange - in the article, it said he owed a butt load of child support AND he had just filed bankruptcy.... hmmmmm
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Her last name in the stage version is Dumbrowski. (God, how do I retain this stuff)
You are so right.

I knew "Olsson" wasn't right, but I forgot what her real name was.

They changed her last name/hometown from the stage version to the film version because they needed some way to explain away the accent.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I knew "Olsson" wasn't right, but I forgot what her real name was.
I think we've discovered that Olsson was the name in the movie, and Dumbrowski on state.

Or at least I think we have.

On another note, I heard about the disappearance first a few weeks ago, so it's not a new story -- just that she talked with ET about it recently.

The circumstances of the case are mysterious at best.