GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,184
1 members and 2,183 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Why Haze????

I happen to go to school at NYU, and you'd think that since people are so much more independent there, you wouldn't see much hazing. Unfortunately, not true! I happen to know at least 2 groups, both sororities that definitely haze, doing line ups, bullying, sending pledges on scavenger hunts, taking them on "trips" where they would be forced to remain in a secluded area for a certain amount of time, forcing pledges to provide sisters with candy, condoms, and many other items at any time during the day, making pledges clean their house, and basically doing everything to intimidate and humiliate girls that they would then turn around and call "sisters"....yeah right, more like stepsisters! I know at least 5 people who had to deal with this(and luckily escaped to find better groups), as well as myself---good thing I had the good sense to drop and find a group that has truly treated me like a sister from the start! It's funny that these other groups claim to be so wonderful, when in reality a number of their members whom i personally know can't stand the organization, and in some cases went inactive as soon as possible. In fact, one group recently had an incident where a group of the sisters got into a physical altercation! To me, this is proof that hazing is not only wrong, but ineffective in the end. The point of pledging is to create an honest and strong relationship with the members of the organization. Anyways, I don't have anything against those groups, but it is a sad thing to see that because of the methods being used, sisterhoods have been formed that are shakey and superficial, and members are unhappy with that important choice they made. What does anyone else think???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2002, 09:35 PM

I think this thread is a crock of shit.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:59 PM

You're almost right, Lil G. I KNOW this thread is a crock of shit!
Old 02-25-2002, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe a cousin of hoosier's?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_G
I think this thread is a crock of shit.
Got to agree with you on this one.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey all you haters, don't be mad just because you couldn't figure out what "altercation" means. Everything is true, and those who protest most loudly prolly do so because they see themselves in my description. Plus you miss my point---I don't think that there shouldn't be effort or fun put into the pledge process by new members, just that it should be constructive rather than mindless or antagonistic.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, you 4 quit that hazing!!! Especially you 2 down in Valdosta--zntke, y'all had better quit circling the Teke pledges' fat! And you, Alpha Gam--cut out that drilling of pledges in freezing weather!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Cloud9, if you're so serious in your lame accusations, why don't you report it to the proper authorities at your school? I don't think bitching about it here is going to change a darn thing.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Even if you were telling the truth, which seems questionable, people here take exception to the fact that you've made only 2 posts and both are attacking the Greek system. Go do something more constructive...like playing in traffic.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Yeah, you 4 quit that hazing!!! Especially you 2 down in Valdosta--zntke, y'all had better quit circling the Teke pledges' fat! And you, Alpha Gam--cut out that drilling of pledges in freezing weather!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Yah at least no one is as bad as that arrow sorority in hazing. Isn't that right Carnation?

Haha!
Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, you know it! There are so many ways to torture pledges with arrows!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by tridelta4ever; 03-30-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

See, this is why people have bad perceptions of greeks. Whenever a problem is brought to light, instead of discussing solutions, everyone just denies that it exists. I am by no means "dissing" greek life anywhere. All I'm saying is that in certain groups hazing does exist, and I'm sure that you all know of groups at your schools that have had the same system. And again, they vary in "intensity" or whatever you want to call it. What my question to you all is, what have you found the results to be? It's an honest curious question. All legal issues aside, do you find that hazing in any form has positive or negative results after crossing? For my part, I would definitely report this group, but I don't really want to destroy their organization, which would most likely occur because NYU REALLY doesn't like greeks at all. And they're not necessarily bad people, they're following quidelines that have probably been in place for years...and that is my other question---how can you encourage change in pledging procedures without attacking other groups? Or is there just nothing to be done about it? Because really, when incidents like the fighting occur, it turns the University's attention on the entire greek community, and not in a positive way. Trust me, they're really out to get us! Anyway, that's all I really wanted to know, sorry if I put it in an antagonistic way, I don't mean to attack anyone, it was late and I was in a bad mood at the time I wrote my other posts. I really encourage any constructive responses you might have!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bridget3D

I like.
Please meet me in chat right now!
Just watch the abrasiveness, or they might contact your chapter's advisor.

To GC: I know what you're thinking. I'M NOT THIS PERSON!
Hi Cloud9!
Pay no attention to this inane babbling. We certainly don't mind abrasiveness on here. It's just obscenity and racism we frown on, as this person well knows.

Welcome to GreekChat; we hope you become a positive contributor to our board
Old 02-26-2002, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9
See, this is why people have bad perceptions of greeks. Whenever a problem is brought to light, instead of discussing solutions, everyone just denies that it exists. I am by no means "dissing" greek life anywhere. All I'm saying is that in certain groups hazing does exist, and I'm sure that you all know of groups at your schools that have had the same system. And again, they vary in "intensity" or whatever you want to call it. What my question to you all is, what have you found the results to be? It's an honest curious question. All legal issues aside, do you find that hazing in any form has positive or negative results after crossing? For my part, I would definitely report this group, but I don't really want to destroy their organization, which would most likely occur because NYU REALLY doesn't like greeks at all. And they're not necessarily bad people, they're following quidelines that have probably been in place for years...and that is my other question---how can you encourage change in pledging procedures without attacking other groups? Or is there just nothing to be done about it? Because really, when incidents like the fighting occur, it turns the University's attention on the entire greek community, and not in a positive way. Trust me, they're really out to get us! Anyway, that's all I really wanted to know, sorry if I put it in an antagonistic way, I don't mean to attack anyone, it was late and I was in a bad mood at the time I wrote my other posts. I really encourage any constructive responses you might have!
Cloud9, correct me if I'm wrong here, but it is my understanding that there is no Panhellenic Council at NYU. In fact, the majority of sororities on campus are local organizations, which means that they do not have to follow the same set of rules about hazing that National organizations do. Because they aren't governed by National Headquarters, they are able to "get away" (for lack of a better term) with things that NPC sororities cannot, and that is probably why the hazing has continued. An NPC sorority would have been severely reprimanded by their HQ if hazing was going on and had been brought to the school or the GLO's attention.

I'm not saying that local sororities are "bad" -- just that they aren't required to follow the same strict no-hazing policies that national sororities are, and that's why some of them go too far when pledging new girls. Some national organizations have chapters that have gone "too far" as well, however, it is more likely that they will be caught because they have HQ watching over them, whereas the locals do not. Hope this helps a little. It's just important to remember that not all groups are the same, and there are some very big differences between local and national GLO's that sometimes are not realized by the general public.
Closed Thread