GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 937
3 members and 934 guests
g41965, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Fake Wedding Cakes?

So my Grandmother told me that people are now cutting cost on their weddings by skipping out on the traditional wedding cakes and getting a fake cake made of foam! You can now rent fake cakes. Apparently, the fake cakes still have enough real cake hidden so that the bride and groom can have the traditional first slice. As a guest you still get a slice of cake, it just comes from a much cheaper sheet cake.

I guess this could be your something borrowed? Lol. Has anyone ever heard of this or ever been to a reception with a rented wedding cake? Would you ever have a fake cake? I think I am far too traditional. I mean the cakes look real, but I don’t know it just seems strange to me.

http://cakerental.com/
http://www.rentthecakeofyourdreams.com/
Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

That is ridiculous. If you can't afford a fancy cake, don't have one. I promise no one will care that much.

Most of those cakes in the links you provided look extremely tacky...I wouldn't want my REAL cake to look like that!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
my cousin used one this weekend...looked great and we pulled it off!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
That is ridiculous. If you can't afford a fancy cake, don't have one. I promise no one will care that much.

Most of those cakes in the links you provided look extremely tacky...I wouldn't want my REAL cake to look like that!
What you said. I wouldn't think less of someone for having sheet cake at their wedding or even having a small "wedding cake" with sheet cake for the guests. But having a fake cake is just tacky, IMO.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Neat!

This is pretty nifty! I don't know if I would do this, but I would think about it, lol. On the first link, the "topsy pink" cake is really cool. No one would know the difference!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
sheet cake
Waiting for her imput on this thread....

Where are you SHEETCAKE???
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Waiting for her imput on this thread....

Where are you SHEETCAKE???
lol.

Oh and as for the cakes being tacky, they're very much in the style of cakes these days, with the polka dots and ribbons and things. Everyone's watching too much Ace of Cakes
Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Official verdict: Ew.

No need to fake the appearance of a big cake, just get a smaller one. You can even do mini cakes for your guests now.

Fake cake is just tacky.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh and as for the cakes being tacky, they're very much in the style of cakes these days, with the polka dots and ribbons and things. Everyone's watching too much Ace of Cakes
The funky/cutesy novelty cakes are great for little Ishmael's bar miztvah or Guadalupe's Quince or Cher's Sweet Sixteen....

But not for a wedding, for the love of God.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The funky/cutesy novelty cakes are great for little Ishmael's bar miztvah or Guadalupe's Quince or Cher's Sweet Sixteen....

But not for a wedding, for the love of God.
Preaching to the choir. Maybe I'm old fasioned (oh wait I'm Catholic, I must be ) but wedding cakes are white... cakes. Not pink and with little danglies or funky shaped or whatever. There are cakes covered in white frosting possibly on tiers but that's as liberal as I go.

But I think that Ace of Cakes mentality is what's fueling this. It's not good enough to have just a cake, it has to be a special super expensive cake and if you can't afford that you better fake it or else it's social suicide.

Not that the AoC thing is bad altogether, if you want to splurge, fine. But why go with the fake cake instead of a normal nice looking one?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I know a few people who have done this...they have a real bottom layer to cut for pictures and the rest is fake.
Then the reception staff takes it into the kitchen and many people won't know they are being fed cheap sheet cake.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

i've seen people do this. especially a mix between the two. The base and the little cake on top are real, but the in between tiers are fake.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
It seems that unless you want a really elaborate cake, you can get a real one for not much more than they charge. I mean, I know it's all based on where you are, but if you are willing to look around and be flexible, you can get some good deals.

My wedding cake was soooooo yummy that I can't imagine having a fake or just having a sheetcake that people eat.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, you know when you're getting a piece of sheetcake.

I mean, cake is cake and I'll eat it regardless, but I always feel a bit slighted when I get a piece of sheetcake vs. tiered cake. The frosting to cake ratio is definitely subpar on a piece of sheetcake.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Preaching to the choir. Maybe I'm old fasioned (oh wait I'm Catholic, I must be ) but wedding cakes are white... cakes. Not pink and with little danglies or funky shaped or whatever. There are cakes covered in white frosting possibly on tiers but that's as liberal as I go.

But I think that Ace of Cakes mentality is what's fueling this. It's not good enough to have just a cake, it has to be a special super expensive cake and if you can't afford that you better fake it or else it's social suicide.

Not that the AoC thing is bad altogether, if you want to splurge, fine. But why go with the fake cake instead of a normal nice looking one?
Have you ever seen how much an Ace of Cake's cake cost??? "All of our cakes start at $500. Tiered cakes start at $8 a serving, and go up from there. Pricing is determined on a cake-by-cake basis, by the complexity of the design. Once you have figured out roughly what the cake looks like and how many people you need to feed, we can give you a pretty accurate price estimate." (http://www.charmcitycakes.com/) I don't know if I'd pay $500 for a Birthday cake, especially if that's just the starting price!