GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,264
1 members and 2,263 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Struggling Chapter, we need HELP!

Hey ladies, I'm new to the board, but my chapter desperately needs help. For whatever reason we have garnered an unfavorable reputation on campus (as not being the "cool" sorority to join, which is totally not true since everyone in it is awesome!) and we get screwed in recrutiment every year which turns into a vicious cycle. This year quota was 34 (which I guarantee the other 3 got) and we got 10 (despite giving out 33 bids AND using release figures!) We need to COB like whoa and I would appreciate any guidance you guys could give. Also what can we do to change our reputation on campus? I wish I could remember where I heard these things from my freshman year (because I definetly did hear them) so I could go back to those sources and try to spread better things. Have any of your chapters had to deal with this? What did you do and what can we do? We know that we are great, but it's so discouraging and disenheartening when we work so hard and it doesn't seem to make an ounce of difference.

Katie

Nobody's better than KKG!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM

You do indeed need to COB like whoa.

My advice would be to look for women who want to be in KKG specifically - not who just want to be in a sorority. Avoid flyers and chalking - they attract the latter and make it very hard for you to be selective. That is, if the whole campus knows you're looking for members, the loons will come out demanding bids and it's very hard to say "we don't want to bid you because you're a loon." They have you over a barrel, as it were. COB parties should be invite only. Each sister should come up with at least one person to invite. Also, you don't have to expressly do "parties" - try inviting women to dinner if you have a house with a kitchen, or to events you're attending as a sisterhood, like campus speakers or theater productions.

Above all, don't get scared and bid people just to increase your numbers if you're not really crazy about them. It will bite you in the butt eventually.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I don't think you have to be the "cool" chapter to have great girls. 33's advice about being selective is really important...it'll probably take a while to build it that way, but in the long run you'll have better quality girls and it'll be easier to build a reputation. I'd say just make sure you go out and have good fun...show people you love each other. Because that'll attract the kind of girls you want, and not the kind of girls that just want a four year party. The ones who want to be a KKG will be impressed with the sisterhood and the fact that y'all look happy. I think each sister inviting one person sounded like a good idea as well. Then someone can vouch for them, and you're more likely to get some quality sisters.

Last edited by ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl; 05-28-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Some advice (it may not be the most popular advice but it's honest and these things have helped my chapter double its size to almost total this year):

*Girls need to wear their letters often. Make sure that when you all wear letters that you look nice. Go out in groups to the student for lunch in letters. Wear letters at school sporting events and anywhere where there might be large groups of students.

*I agree with 33girl about making COB invite only. It makes things a little more exclusive. There will be fewer girls there, but they will be girls who accepted your invites and are actually interested in checking your out.

*I'm sure some of your girls have are in other campus organizations outside of Kappa. Their other friends in campus groups are most likely people who like to get involved. Have girls invite their friends from their other orgs to COB events.

*The best way to recruit women is to make friends with them first. If there's a girl in your class that you think would make a good Kappa, invite her to study or out to coffee a few times. Then after you've hung out, mention that your sorority is having an event and that you would like her to come check out your sorority.

*Go out and have fun. I'm not saying go out to the fraternity parties and get wasted. But go and let other freshman and sophomore women see you out. They might meet you out, then see you on campus in letters, and become interested in Kappa.

*Once you have met and made friends with women whom you would like to join Kappa. Invite them out with small groups of 3-5 sisters for coffee, lunch, dinner or whatever. Once girls get to know you on a smaller scale, they'll be more likely to want to attend a recruitment event once you invite them.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM

I also want to throw this in because I know you'll hear about the "5 step model of recruitment" at some point when COBing...

1. Meet them
2. Make them your friend
3. Introduce them to your friends
4. Introduce them to your sorority
5. Ask them to join

Great course of action, but....IT TAKES TIME!!

I think too many people are told to use the 5 step model and given the impression that it takes 5 minutes or a week from meeting someone to bidding them successfully. It doesn't - some people might think about joining for a year or more before they actually do it. Be patient!! Don't pressure someone over and over to join...it's the surest way to make them feel as though you only want them as a "number" and not as a friend/sister. If you can't have a conversation without saying "so, when do you think you're going to be able to pledge?" you're going down the wrong road. Use your people skills and you'll be able to figure out the right and the wrong times to bring things up.

Ideally - they should be so comfortable with you and the sorority that THEY ask YOU how they can join.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A good way to COB is to start with the people you already know. The way we get most of our girls through COB is by already knowing them from as friends or having class together. They most likely already know how great you are and shouldn't be infuenced by rumors on campus. Thats a fairly easy way to get new girls of good quality. Once you have the numbers I've noticed that more girls are inclinded to want to join with you. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone's advice has been great so far.

I'll add:

- Make allies of the other sororities. Then they won't be as willing to badmouth you.
- Make friends with the fraternities. You want them to think you're cool/fun girls.
- Work hard at retention. A lot of chapters drop in numbers because they aren't good at retaining the members they get. Make sure everyone feels comfortable and appreciated, give everyone a role/office if possible so they stay involved.
- Go after some campus greek awards, if you have them.
- At your next formal rush, if you're allowed, you might want to ask about allowing alumnae or actives from other chapters in the room/house just to fill it out. Even though they probably won't be allowed to talk to PNMs, the place will look more busy and active, and most PNMs won't notice your numbers as much at first glance. It is also my opinion that it is better to use alumnae to help rush women than try to double-rush PNMs yourself (but maybe this isn't an issue for your chapter).
Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Hi Katie,
Everyone has given some great advice. Here's my 2 cents:

You need to remember that recruitment is a 24/7, especially if you're COBing and a smaller chapter on campus. By that I mean that it's all about public relations because PR plays a huge role in recruitment.

Wear your letters often and always look presentable when you do. If you don't already, designate at least one day a week as "Letter Day" where all the members of your chapter wear letters. If your chapter has a PR chair she (or others) could give out small prizes to people she sees on campus wearing their letter on that day - like candy, pop, something small.

And as far as how gossip spreads, it could be something as small as someone in a class overhearing a member of your chapter (or any chapter) saying something and taking it completely out of context. Then it just mushrooms from there.

I agree with 33girl's idea that each member of your chapter should come up with one name of a PNM -The newer members who joined this year might give you several names, whereas the seniors might struggle a bit, but this will give you a pool to work with.

COB function ideas:

-If you have a facility have a dinner night when the residence halls don't serve a meal - have a taco night, spaghetti night, etc., you can invite multiple women and send invitations.
-TV night - invite PNMs over to watch TV for a popular show
-Ice cream - similar to the coffee idea above, another option would be to have an ice cream social, and invite several PNMs over again
-Ice skating
-You could have another event where you make items for your philanthropy

Some other suggestions about PR stuff:
-Support other chapters philanthropy events and attend them in your letters. Try to get at least 25% of your chapter to attend. (This may also get other chapters to support your philanthropy.)
-If your chapter members aren't involved on campus, they need to be. Encourage everyone to join at least one on campus organization.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Also reach out to your advisers and request that a chapter consultant from nationals come in to help assess your chapter, and to help you develop an action plan with tangible goals and deadlines. Your nationals has many resources and they're not the bad guys waiting for you to trip up and punish you-- they have some great trainings and opportunities for those who reach out. Be proactive and seek out their assistance. You might also plan a Sisterhood Night where you invite alumnae from your chapter and other Kappa chapters to come and speak to offer ideas, motivation and support. Maybe try to include a past or current national officer. Your nationals can help you locate someone.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

not only have a "wear your letters day" also have your sisters "dress to pin" one day a week. girls dressed up, going to class and wearing their sorority badges will attract attention(in a good way!!)

if your chapter does not already require this, have each member join one campus organization-not only does it enhance their resume', but it lets everyone in that org. know how great those kappa girls are.

support all the other greek organizations(and all other organizations on campus, for that matter) in their fundraising efforts and philanthrophy events.

bake cookies for the other sororities and fraternities. write a nice note of congratulations when they win a sporting event or an award.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pinkhalo
Hey girl,

there is a sorority on our campus that is going through the same thing. the thing to do is to get with your greek community and work from inside out. if the people in the greek community think you guys arent worth looking at, the PNM's notice that. COB is really your big chance to increase numbers. just recruit like crazy.

good luck
Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Everyone's advice has been great so far.

I'll add:

- Make allies of the other sororities. Then they won't be as willing to badmouth you.
- Make friends with the fraternities. You want them to think you're cool/fun girls.
- Work hard at retention. A lot of chapters drop in numbers because they aren't good at retaining the members they get. Make sure everyone feels comfortable and appreciated, give everyone a role/office if possible so they stay involved.
- Go after some campus greek awards, if you have them.
- At your next formal rush, if you're allowed, you might want to ask about allowing alumnae or actives from other chapters in the room/house just to fill it out. Even though they probably won't be allowed to talk to PNMs, the place will look more busy and active, and most PNMs won't notice your numbers as much at first glance. It is also my opinion that it is better to use alumnae to help rush women than try to double-rush PNMs yourself (but maybe this isn't an issue for your chapter).
Huge second to all of that. Start making a huge presence at other chapters' and fraternities' events, too. Participate, participate, participate. Otherwise you come off as aloof of the rest of the Greek system, which isn't fun.

Other chapters are a great resource as well--ask a few nearby chapters to send girls who want to help with rush and fill out the room. They may not be all the way up on what your chapter does, but they should know a lot about the big national things and can introduce Polly PNM to one of your chapter's members sometime in the party. Plus, it helps alleviate having so many girls double-rushing.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkhalo View Post
Hey girl,

there is a sorority on our campus that is going through the same thing. the thing to do is to get with your greek community and work from inside out. if the people in the greek community think you guys arent worth looking at, the PNM's notice that. COB is really your big chance to increase numbers. just recruit like crazy.

good luck

Unfortuantly, on this site, it's not a good idea to have your full name and location readily avalible. We have a person...I mean, um, people...yeah people (I wouldn't want to single a certain batshit person out)...who think stalking is cool.