GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,382
1 members and 2,381 guests
zatylerahvso465

Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you notes

Do you write them? Are you good about it or do you put it off? Or do you never end up writing them? Both personally and your chapter? And professionally? (like after an interview)

My mom was, and still is, very anal about thank you notes that it's just sorta automatic. I think it started when I made my communion- my mom made me write all of the thank you notes (we had a party) myself. For a seven year old, that was pure torture.

But i'm glad she ingrained that into me... I don't even think about it now. I always have a stock of thank yous for all different needs- professional, family, male, female, etc.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I love to write Thank Yous. Gifts, hospitality or any kind gestures I think deserve a hand written note. I'm not sure where I picked it up, but I'm known now in my family for sending a nicely written thank you
Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I write them the day after I receive a gift from someone. If it's something less formal, like going to dinner--I'll send a quick email saying thanks for the great time. I haven't done it as much after interviews--it depends on the field and the position.

It's just second nature and I can't imagine it any other way.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
I was brought up to write thank you notes (I think my mom would write them and I would "sign" them when I was *really* little) and for me, it's also an automatic thing when I receive a gift.

It's just nice to know that someone took the time to write an appreciation of your gesture, even if they didn't like the gift!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

Yes. I have stationary with my name so I might as well use it.

-Rudey
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't remember doing so, but I'm fairly certain that I wrote thank you notes for my baby clothes!!

Seriously, I got thank you notes in my Christmas stocking, and NOTHING was played with until they were written! It is so second nature to me that I have broken down in airports to buy some stationery before catching a plane, to thank someone for their hospitality or such. And yes, I always have an address book & stamps in my purse.

It's a sickness, I know - but MUCH more preferable to the mass generic email "thank you for the gift" type that I've been getting recently!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm big on thank you notes, congratulations notes, cards, etc. in my personal life and in sorority/Panhellenic matters. I'm not very good at doing it when it comes to professional matters, though! I think I've only sent a couple after interviews. I don't really know what to say in them. Then again, I suck at cover letters, too.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DZHBrown
I think I've only sent a couple after interviews. I don't really know what to say in them. Then again, I suck at cover letters, too.
Crane's Resume Kit includes not only "Writing an Effective Resume," which includes information about writing a powerful cover letter, but also a few thank-you notes. I bought one when I was in high school and looking to work at architecture firms. I haven't needed it since. It's a skill that is priceless, writing a good cover letter.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I write them. For anything! Even if someone did something small, I generally want them to know their thoughtfulness was appreciated. It makes me feel good when I receive them, so I want the other person to feel that way too.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 PM

I always write prompt thank you notes and I'm teaching my daughters to do the same. It's one of the few things my mom really drilled into me, and I'm glad because I think it's important.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never written a thank you note for a job interview... it just seems kinda weird to me. I ALWAYS write them for gifts. I got quite a bit of money and gifts for graduation a while ago from relatives near and far, and thank you notes went out to all of them, and I always write a thank you note for people's hospitality, I mean it's the least you can do right ? I may not recognize every single TINY LITTLE thing that someone does for me with a written thank you, but I let them know somehow their kindness was appreciated. I was scribe of my chapter and I swear my sisters thought I was crazy because like every other week I would have a thank you card for the chapter to send someone ! I sent Greeklawgirl a squirrel because she bought me lunch... (not to mention she's just super great and deserved a little gift)
Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Crane's Resume Kit includes not only "Writing an Effective Resume," which includes information about writing a powerful cover letter, but also a few thank-you notes. I bought one when I was in high school and looking to work at architecture firms. I haven't needed it since. It's a skill that is priceless, writing a good cover letter.
Thanks, Munchkin! I'll check that out!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember giving nor recieving any personal thank you notes. I have sent and recieved a few thank you CARDS though. I hope I won't be looked down on tooooo much if I don't send any personal thank you notes in the future. I HATE HATE HATE writing ANY type of note to anyone, I'd rather spend $10 on a card.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
With me it depends on the event.

For Christmas or birthdays, I never send a thank you note, although I DO make sure to actually thank the person, whether in person or by e-mail. Now, if someone gave me a very NICE present for one of the two events, I would write one.

Big events in life ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS require a thank you note, IMO: graduation gifts, weddings, showers.

If someone has gone out of their way for you, like say you're in the hospital and a friend helps take care of you while you're there, then that certainly deserves a thank you note.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I don't remember giving nor recieving any personal thank you notes. I have sent and recieved a few thank you CARDS though.
Exactly!! I don't remember ever giving or recieving thank you notes until I got older....then my mother & grandmother started going nuts whenever I didn't. I, when I was younger, never really understood the point - - it you call or email to say thanks, on top of saying it in person, I didn't see why a written note was needed.... I do now, though.