GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,125
0 members and 2,125 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Let me get this straight. Princeton, a school that admitted 9.5% of its applicants and has an estimated yearly cost of attendance of over $52,000 is trying to reduce elitism and exclusivity by not allowing freshmen to rush? That's a joke.
Not really. Even though it's really hard to get in and expensive, they have a commitment to provide their students with good financial aid. It's not as if they're limiting their student body to those who can pay the full freight.

It's more about not wanting Greek Life as part of their campus culture. That's been obvious to me for years--Greek life adds far less to the campus culture (ie, dedicated alumni who donate the money that allows Princeton to be as giving when it comes to Financial Aid) than the eating clubs.

Princeton can outright ban fraternities and sororities for all I care.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
It's more about not wanting Greek Life as part of their campus culture
I read a quote from President Shirley Tilghman claiming "When I've seen the way fraternities and sororities go about attracting their membership, it's not been based on talent. It's based on social comfort." That is a ridiculous concept upon which to try to base the anti-Greek position considering that the eating clubs (at least the ones that Bicker) choose their members in the same way.

It's their campus and, as long as the students don't revolt, they can do as they choose. They can get rid of or water down the greeks because they don't want them there, but I sure wish they wouldn't try to sugarcoat the whole thing in an extremely flimsy veil of inclusion.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is a ridiculous concept upon which to try to base the anti-Greek position considering that the eating clubs
It would only be ridiculous if they approved of the eating clubs. They don't. They're just picking their battles.