GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment questions!!

hello! i am new to GC and liked reading the advice of many on the site. I am a rising sophomore that is registered to rush in the upcoming fall 2008. I rushed last year and got 3 during pref round but got mismatched with 2 sororities. This year I have a few friends in the different chapter and just wondering if I could get some help with recommendations and would it look bad if i rushed again??

thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwang17 View Post
I rushed last year and got 3 during pref round but got mismatched with 2 sororities.
Please define "mismatched."
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
hello! i am new to GC and liked reading the advice of many on the site. I am a rising sophomore that is registered to rush in the upcoming fall 2008. I rushed last year and got 3 during pref round but got mismatched with 2 sororities. This year I have a few friends in the different chapter and just wondering if I could get some help with recommendations and would it look bad if i rushed again??

thanks so much!
Help with recommendations? Help from GC or help from your friends?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

help from GC! i saw some posts from a while ago and there was maybe a group or certain alum offering to help find people locally to help write recs
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I was placed on their bid list but they reached quota before they got to my name i believe was what mismatched meant!
I'm not sure where you got that info, but if it was from a member of the sororities, they really shouldn't be telling you things like that - voting is confidential. Ditto if the Greek advisor or whoever was doing the matching told you that.

But aside from that...if this is truly what happened, you were not "mismatched." The sororities just didn't want you enough to put you higher on their bid lists. What happened with the third sorority?

ETA: if you are referring to the list of usernames to contact for recommendations, that thread is outdated and many of those people no longer visit GC. Securing recommendations through your family and friends is preferred. If you don't have any family or friends that are Greek, contact the alumnae Panhellenic closest to you. http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx They can direct you to sorority alumnae who can help you secure recs.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-05-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

hi-jack

If a person receives a rec from someone but is not matched, can she get another rec from the same person? The OP obviously knows how to get the info, so I'm trying to find out if there's a rule or something that forbids "multiple recs" or if she's trying to be spoonfed.

/hi-jack

Last edited by knight_shadow; 06-05-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
hi-jack

If a person receives a rec from someone but is not matched, can she get another rec from the same person? The OP obviously knows how to get the info, so I'm trying to find out if there's a rule or something that forbids "multiple reps" or if she's trying to be spoonfed.

/hi-jack
She can get a rec from the same person if she wants to. Recs can help a chapter get to know the PNM better (especially if there's a lot of girls going through recruitment) but recs don't guarantee you a spot on the Bid List.

And as far as getting GC's help, what 33girl said. It's better to approach women offline to get recs help.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Whether it looks bad if you rushed again depends on your school. At some schools, girls who are rushing a 2nd time have the same chances as other girls, while at others, your best chance at recruitment is the FIRST time you rush (and your chances of getting a bid decrease the second time).

Also, recs don't guarantee a more successful recruitment the second time around.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
hi-jack

If a person receives a rec from someone but is not matched, can she get another rec from the same person? The OP obviously knows how to get the info, so I'm trying to find out if there's a rule or something that forbids "multiple recs" or if she's trying to be spoonfed.

/hi-jack
Yes. However, and you may already know this (but just to be clear), the recommendation is only good for the same GLO.

In other words, ABCs only write recommendations for ABCs and it would not be "good" at XYZ. Same for recommendations written by and for XYZs. The XYZ recommendation would not be "good" at ABC.

So if a girl had a recommendation for ABC but is not matched with them, she could not use the same ABC recommendation with XYZ. She will have to get an XYZ to write her a recommendation.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Yes. However, and you may already know this (but just to be clear), the recommendation is only good for the same GLO.

In other words, ABCs only write recommendations for ABCs and it would not be "good" at XYZ. Same for recommendations written by and for XYZs. The XYZ recommendation would not be "good" at ABC.

So if a girl had a recommendation for ABC but is not matched with them, she could not use the same ABC recommendation with XYZ. She will have to get an XYZ to write her a recommendation.
Makes sense. Thanks!