GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,297
1 members and 1,296 guests
FSUZeta

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

22 year old sophomore. Can I rush a fraternity?

When I go to school in the fall, in terms of credit hours, I will be a sophomore, but I'm 22.

I'm wondering if I will automatically get cut because of my age, or if they will disregard my age and treat me like any other sophomore.

I've read all the other threads on here about rushing as an upperclassman but haven't found anything pertaining to my situation, and most of them had to do with sororities rather than fraternities.

The school is UCF by the way.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Why are you a 22 year old sophomore? Military service, didn't have the $$ for school until now, what?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Disclaimer: I know nothing about UCF specifically, and I will leave that to others. Also, I am thinking that you mean an NIC fraternity, not an NPHC or multicultural fraternity.

The reason you see a lot about sororities and not fraternities is that sororities have a strict quota, so if they give a spot to an upperclassman, it is one fewer spot they have for a freshman. Fraternities usually do not have quota (I think there are only a handful of schools that do), so an upperclassman is not taking a freshman's spot, so to speak.

Now, that said, I don't know of a single fraternity anywhere who will take anyone, so they are still evaluating whether or not you are a good fit, not just for the fraternity, but for the pledge class, i.e. can you be a guy who bonds with a bunch of 18-year-olds?

I would suggest two things: 1) Give rush a shot. 2) Be very honest with yourself about the brothers' reactions to you. If you are seemingly ignored in favor of the younger guys, move on, and try to find a group that seems interested in you.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

No military service, I did one year of college then just traveled for 2 years to see the world.

I definitely won't have a problem bonding with 18 year olds, I was just wondering if they would refuse to let me pledge just because I'm 22. I don't look 22 either, so should I tell the brothers right off the bat that I'm 22? If I just say I'm a sophomore they'll probably assume I'm 19.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Just chill out and go through recruitment. You can't control what they will do, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.123 View Post
No military service, I did one year of college then just traveled for 2 years to see the world.

I definitely won't have a problem bonding with 18 year olds, I was just wondering if they would refuse to let me pledge just because I'm 22. I don't look 22 either, so should I tell the brothers right off the bat that I'm 22? If I just say I'm a sophomore they'll probably assume I'm 19.
Don't lie. Be up front and honest. Some groups might cut you; others won't care. Some will think it is cool that you traveled when they've never been out of their home state.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Don't lie. Be up front and honest. Some groups might cut you; others won't care. Some will think it is cool that you traveled when they've never been out of their home state.
I won't lie, but they're not likely to straight up ask my age are they? Like I said I don't look a day older than 18, so they'll probably ask what year I'm in and I'll say sophomore. So should I also add "by the way, just so you know, I'm 22"?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I won't lie, but they're not likely to straight up ask my age are they? Like I said I don't look a day older than 18, so they'll probably ask what year I'm in and I'll say sophomore. So should I also add "by the way, just so you know, I'm 22"?
I wouldn't. If the age question does get brought up, then go right away and say it
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I know at UCF they are very open to allowing people of all ages into Greek Life.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Tell them you're a sophomore, but at some point, it should come up that you did 2 years worth of traveling. If the brothers can't get together to compare notes and do the math, they can't be irked that you didn't spell it all out.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
I know at UCF they are very open to allowing people of all ages into Greek Life.
Nice, that's reassuring, thanks man. Do you go to UCF and know people that have been initiated at 22 or older?