GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,856
Threads: 114,781
Welcome to our newest member, Williamcouts

Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Senusret I's Recruitment Story

So since I am a guy and in an NPHC fraternity, I figured I would add my two cents. It won't be a traditional recruitment story, but I didn't want to miss out on the fun!

The five NPHC fraternities will be:

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele

I knew since I was a teenager that I wanted to be part of a brotherhood, but I was never quite sure which one would be the best fit for me. I was sorta biased toward Mr. Marcus when I came to college because of my positive interactions with them during my senior year in high school.

To be continued!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele
there is something WRONG with YOU!! LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele
You are SO trippin!! I love it.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele
I heard that the body of work for these "organizations" are amazing. Yeah, that's what I heard.

I'm loving the story, Senusret! Could you tell me if St. Wilona is the sister school to St. Thelma, St. Florida and St. Penny?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So since I am a guy and in an NPHC fraternity, I figured I would add my two cents. It won't be a traditional recruitment story, but I didn't want to miss out on the fun!

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele

I knew since I was a teenager that I wanted to be part of a brotherhood, but I was never quite sure which one would be the best fit for me. I was sorta biased toward Mr. Marcus when I came to college because of my positive interactions with them during my senior year in high school.

To be continued!
LMAO @ the names... i was like "isnt Lexington Steele a... no, couldn't be..."

and i've been trying to get my stories aligned to do a retro NPHC thread... if there's a waitlist, can i get on it?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to blueGBI
I'm gon to cut you for this, Shid!

ROTFLMAO
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
I wanted to scream with laughter when I read the names. (No, LOL was not good enough today.) Beyond creative.

I'm looking forward to the telling of the story!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Now, THIS is a recruitment story. Go Rashid go!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

So rewind briefly to some events during my freshman year and sophomore year:

Freshman year, went to an NPHC event at DC's state college -- my friend/co-worker was a big-time Mandingo at his school. Now, at the time I had no interest in Mandingos, even though their reputations preceded them. Nice guys, though.

The event had all NPHC orgs represented. It was at this panel that I met my first white Brian Pumper -- I wasn't shocked, but definitely surprised. He was a VERY down to earth dude. Not trying to be extra "urban" -- just himself. At the Brian Pumper table, I made probably my only faux pas as an aspirant. I asked him what one of the mascots meant. He politely told me that it had a special meaning to the members. I was like oh, okay, cool.

The Wesley Pipes boys were there....handsome, clean-cut, but not my kinda guys.

And there was one Lexington Steele -- isn't there always one? What struck me most about his presentation was that they were the most anti-hazing.

There was a similar event at another school later in the semester, and I had similar reactions to all the members.

My junior year, I attended another event, this time right at St. Wilona's. I was NEVER more certain that I made the right choice in not going Greek at all. Mr. Marcus' boys were a HOT MESS..... "the bruhs" this and "the bruhs" that and "the bruhs like to party" and "the bruhs like to go to church and then party."

What a close call..... I was thisclose to being right up under Mr. Marcus!

Also during my junior year, the most significant change in my life occurred leading me back to pursuing an NPHC fraternity. For an entire year, I lived with a Brian Pumper.... never once thinking too hard about pledging until after he left....but it was his friendship that ignited my interest.... more to come...

Last edited by Senusret I; 05-30-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Brian Pumper
Mandingo
Wesley Pipes
Mr. Marcus
Lexington Steele
I wasn't sure what the names referenced 'til people started to post comments. To be sure I googled the names...I'm at work so I couldn't open the links, but best believe I'm all caught up now.

Rashid, I think you're one of my favorite story tellers!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

i <3 you! this story is the best
Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to know...did any of the fraternities Hot Box you Rashid?

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
I have to know...did any of the fraternities Hot Box you Rashid?
I just spit Diet Mountain Dew on my monitor - centaur, you just made my afternoon!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior Year.....

So I lived with Brian Pumper's member.

We got along just fine. I was very busy with APO and he was busy with his fraternity, which allowed him to have a girlfriend on every campus in the area. (True!) We were ride or die for one another -- real down for whatever type of friends. He introduced me to lots of different kinds of people. He was a former football player so I met all types of guys.

I found people in Brian Pumper to be really intellectual, but not overbearingly so. They liked hanging out at the house but were respectful of our space. Many were bookish....not quite nerdy, but you never heard about them failing out.

And oh yes..... Brian Pumper could step.

I liked that whenever the lone Brian Pumper on campus needed his brothers to attend an event on campus, even just to step, they were there. Heck, even guys from OTHER chapters would be there.

But my head wasn't in the game, so to speak. I was so busy that pledging an NPHC fraternity was the furthest thing from my mind.

One time, my friend left "The History of Brian Pumper" out in his room. Well actually, he always did. And one time I asked him something about a famous member, and he told me "I'm not sure, why don't you look it up?"

And I was like "whaaaaaaa? I can't read your history book!"

And he was like "Of course you can! Go check it out."

So I did. Now, because the book is 600 pages long, and once again, I was not particularly interested in Brian Pumper, it read like the Handbook for the Recently Deceased from Beetlejuice. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. So I politely thanked my friend and put it back down.

When my buddy graduated, I decided to write an article for the campus newspaper about the university's policies against fraternities. I decided to highlight Brian Pumper on campus and what the school was doing by not allowing GLOs to operate. I asserted that because of the official ban on GLOs, we were stifling future Brian Pumpers from going out and spreading the seed of....goodwill...among the land. Without Brian Pumpers from St. Wilona's preparing to be leaders, the university would be at a disadvantage.

I researched, researched, and researched for this article. I used the last graduating Brian Pumper on campus as a case for why the school should recognized GLOs.

I saw all these prominent members.... all these phenomenal national programs.....awesome men on the ground level...

I published the article....and the damnedest thing happened.

I fell in love with Brian Pumper!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

yesssssssss this thread was so awesome. and i too would like to hear DSTRen's story, and Dionysus need to finish (his) hers already...