GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,161
1 members and 1,160 guests
Low D Flat

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up So much info!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted in this forum. I've always wanted to become a sorority member but when I was in college I was also working full time and I didn't think I had the time to commit to a sorority. I've never been a person to do something just because it's expected...and also I'm from Hawaii and the choices are pretty limited. In hindsight I don't regret that I didn't rush when I was in school, but I definitely didn't have the 'typical' college experience.
Now that I'm 30 and back in school I've been looking into AI memberships with local alumnae chapters. I had no idea where to start until I came across this forum. A part of me feels like I may never 'get into' or asked to join an NPC sorority and I'm okay with that. I'm looking to meet new people and expand my horizons and help my community while I do it and a non academic sorority might be just what I was looking for.

I still haven't decided where I belong in the whole Greek system. Maybe I don't belong? Maybe I do? I haven't figured it out yet but this forum has given me a good road map to begin to figure it out.

Thanks everyone!

Victoria
Honolulu, HI
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriasueno View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted in this forum. I've always wanted to become a sorority member but when I was in college I was also working full time and I didn't think I had the time to commit to a sorority. I've never been a person to do something just because it's expected...and also I'm from Hawaii and the choices are pretty limited. In hindsight I don't regret that I didn't rush when I was in school, but I definitely didn't have the 'typical' college experience.
Now that I'm 30 and back in school I've been looking into AI memberships with local alumnae chapters. I had no idea where to start until I came across this forum. A part of me feels like I may never 'get into' or asked to join an NPC sorority and I'm okay with that. I'm looking to meet new people and expand my horizons and help my community while I do it and a non academic sorority might be just what I was looking for.

I still haven't decided where I belong in the whole Greek system. Maybe I don't belong? Maybe I do? I haven't figured it out yet but this forum has given me a good road map to begin to figure it out.

Thanks everyone!

Victoria
Honolulu, HI

What specifically about NPC alumnae membership appeals to you that you perhaps cannot find in your community right now? What do you personally imagine it might be like? Alumnae membership is nothing like collegiate membership, so I'm not sure what you are really looking for when you ask if you belong in the "Greek system". At the alumnae level, there isn't much intermingling among different sororities, excepting perhaps annual events at the local Panhellenic Alumnae group - and that varies very much by location.

You don't need an NPC sorority to do any of the things you've listed. There are perhaps 100 different avenues right in your back yard to meet people and help your community. The bonds and networking develop from years of shared experiences and building relationships.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
What specifically about NPC alumnae membership appeals to you that you perhaps cannot find in your community right now? What do you personally imagine it might be like? Alumnae membership is nothing like collegiate membership, so I'm not sure what you are really looking for when you ask if you belong in the "Greek system". At the alumnae level, there isn't much intermingling among different sororities, excepting perhaps annual events at the local Panhellenic Alumnae group - and that varies very much by location.

You don't need an NPC sorority to do any of the things you've listed. There are perhaps 100 different avenues right in your back yard to meet people and help your community. The bonds and networking develop from years of shared experiences and building relationships.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Those are all great questions and are many of the reasons why I'm on these boards and trying to learn more about the Greek system. From what I've seen as an outsider it looks like a wonderful, life affirming way to make a difference not just for others, but for myself. I dated a guy that pledged Kappa Sigma in college. We broke up before he rushed but we remain friends today. He speaks of his brothers with a love I've never seen him show, even to his own parents and family.

The other thing about Greek sororities that appeals to me is the tradition. I've never been one to follow tradition about some things, but others I wouldn't dare mess with. The Greek system has many traditions and guidelines in place that I respect and honor as symbolic to each group. Many of them were passed down from generation to generation and it's appears to be a wonderful culture to spend a lifetime immersed in.

At this point I am looking to get to know the Greek chapters in my area, however I am not opposed to a non NPC sorority. I want to learn as much as possible to find the best fit for me. Since each chapter and each Sorority is different I know I have to get out there and meet people in order to figure out what I'm looking for. I'm not afraid to go down the wrong path, otherwise I won't know the right one when I find it.
I'm talking with a friend that's involved in several philanthropic organizations in my area that are not sororities, I want to get my hands dirty and get my feet wet. The Greek system is one path I'm looking at, but I'm not boxing myself in to find a NPC sorority.

I'm still trying to learn the lingo and punctuation. I know certain things should be capitalized and others should be hyphenated. Please let me know if I'm typing something wrong or using a term incorrectly, I want to learn as much as possible.