GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,216
1 members and 1,215 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSquirrelBeta View Post
Did you have yours perm. set in the pendant? I HAD an open circle pendant (stolen) which I would like to get a replacement. The circle option is so nice...no pin holes in clothes and worrying about your badge falling off. We've been chatting a bit about this in the AGD forum.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's permanently in there. I ordered the circle right after I becam an alum, and when I tried to set it myself, it wouldn't properly close and it was very crooked. I had to get the BurrPatt guys to do it for me in Chicago and re-attach my guard because the link broke off.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I have seen DPhiEs wear their badges as a necklace pendant, but without any sort of circle pendant device like OTW described. I didn't wear mine that way because it kept flipping over. I could never quite figure out how to do it properly.

I haven't seen anyone wear her badge attached to her boyfriend's in a long time.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Are there other organizations besides AGD that allow their alumnae to wear the Badge in ways other than the traditional way?

Mine is set in a circle pendant, and it includes my chapter guard and dangles as well. I also have a sister in my alum chapter that had her Badge set in a ring.
I know that Theta has an option to have the badge attach to the ring. However, it's still detachable. My best friend's mom has one of these and on my friend's wedding day, I watched her mom detach the badge and give it to Amanda to wear on the inside of her dress as her "something borrowed." It may have also been her "something old" since I think it was actually Amanda's grandmother's but I'm not sure.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM

AOII alumnae can wear the badge as a ring or circle pendant (choice of either solid disk or open circle).
Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Our pendant isn't round, it's a larger diamond onto which the pin can be placed, permenantly or not. Our pins can be made into rings the same way.

For chapter guards, we have our chapter or our crest available, and just as of this summer, a stick somewhat like TriDelta's trident only with the chapter insignia on it.

I've seen guards and dangles go in and out of style, but when I was in school, it was considered rude not to get either. At the last Panhellenic Luncheon I went to, I saw an Alpha Phi who had her pin with a guard, and every dangle you can imagine on a separate link - you had to really look hard at it to see that it was a sorority pin. She said that she found that she got at least triple the wear out of it. I don't have a photo scanned, but it was something like this:

IVY <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> Guard
LEAF | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | (each | represents a dangle)

(hope that works!)

Anyhow, it was truly amazing. The only question I had was that she wore it once (I've since this twice) on the lapel of her blazer - something we were never permitted to do. Is that okay in APhi? Or did she, as someone in our EO said once, use "alumna priviledge"?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter guard has been replaced by my Arc of Epsilon Pi with diamonds. We have honors for alumnae who have given consecutive years of outstanding service and they attach to the badge in place of the chapter guard. They are progressive awards, so my first was the Arc of Epsilon Pi (5 years of service), then the Arc with diamonds (6 more years), then the Arc with diamonds (additional 6 years after that). I wear one dangle on my badge and that is called the Heart of Alpha Gamma Delta, which chapters (alumnae or collegiate) can give to alumnae who have done something special for the group. I did have officer dangles when I was a collegiate, but don't wear those now. My honors are more meaningful to me now.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it still accepted for a member who is pinned to wear her SO's badge as a guard? Some people did that when I was an undergrad.
All of the NPC organizations have rules stipulating that only initiated members may wear the badge. Is this rule not common with IFC organizations? Or is an exception made for significant others?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly View Post
All of the NPC organizations have rules stipulating that only initiated members may wear the badge. Is this rule not common with IFC organizations? Or is an exception made for significant others?
Many men will give their SOs their fraternity pins, hence "pinning" or "being pinned". Pinnings are usually a pretty big deal--we announced them with a fireside. Greek culture at the time when I was in school was the boyfriend would give his badge or give the girlfriend a "sweetheart's" version of the badge for her to wear.

I know that the significance of this is also similar when men will give women their letters on a pendant...again it boils down to campus Greek culture.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
My chapter guard has been replaced by my Arc of Epsilon Pi with diamonds. We have honors for alumnae who have given consecutive years of outstanding service and they attach to the badge in place of the chapter guard. They are progressive awards, so my first was the Arc of Epsilon Pi (5 years of service), then the Arc with diamonds (6 more years), then the Arc with diamonds (additional 6 years after that). I wear one dangle on my badge and that is called the Heart of Alpha Gamma Delta, which chapters (alumnae or collegiate) can give to alumnae who have done something special for the group. I did have officer dangles when I was a collegiate, but don't wear those now. My honors are more meaningful to me now.
That's because you are such a star!! For our non Alpha Gam friends here, these honors are a really big deal and I really respect AGDee and all those that earn these!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Anyhow, it was truly amazing. The only question I had was that she wore it once (I've since this twice) on the lapel of her blazer - something we were never permitted to do. Is that okay in APhi? Or did she, as someone in our EO said once, use "alumna priviledge"?
Not talking to your group's policy, obviously , we are allowed to wear our badge on our lapel (and as a necklace or ring) once we are granted Alum. status...and let me tell you, it was WIERD the first time I did it.

I am still debating if I would like to get that ring holder for my badge to wear once and a while...

Last edited by BadSquirrelBeta; 10-12-2006 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not talking to your group's policy, obviously , we are allowed to wear our badge on our lapel (and as a necklace or ring) once we are granted Alum. status...and let me tell you, it was WIERD the first time I did it.

I am still debating if I would like to get that ring holder for my badge to wear once and a while...
Wow - I wish we could do that! If we could, I'd get a lot more wear out of my pin! I would so rather see a pin on a lapel than in a drawer.

I have a few pins I've rescued from ebay, and I have one on a pendant - there are always lots of comments when I wear it. Another pin, I plan to have made into a ring. It's one of the plainest version of our diamond; the ones with a lot of pearls or other stones would destroy any hose or other similar fabric.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM

ASA alums can wear the badge as a ring or pendant - I don't think we have the circle thingy for the pendant though.

OMG the lapel debate again!! Our chapter was always told to never ever ever wear the badge on a lapel, then I go to convention and see our national ritual chair with her pin on her lapel. I never thought of it being a collegian/alum thing - I thought it was that if you are going to keep the jacket on, you can wear it on your lapel. I still don't think I ever could though, too many years of "THOU SHALT NOT" behind me.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
ASA alums can wear the badge as a ring or pendant - I don't think we have the circle thingy for the pendant though.
I saw it awhile ago on BurrPatt's website, but it's since disappeared. It might have been something that they took upon themselves to do, and then National saw it and said nuh-uh.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

From the HJGreek website for ASA:

Not a badge, but it's so gorgeous that it deserves to get posted:
Old 10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Not a badge, but it's so gorgeous that it deserves to get posted:

I think that thing is a few thousand $$ when made in genuine diamonds, right?? I know I remember looking and it and drooling.