GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,361
1 members and 1,360 guests
TLLK

Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I would not assume that a new colony would have lower dues. They may have a meal plan. Even without a house, they want colony members to bond and may have meals at a dorm or other location. You would not be paying room and board as you would if you were living in a chapter house, but would still pay parlor fees (just like a new member or out of house member of any other chapter.)
You also should NOT think that getting into a colony will be easier, or that they won't care about your GPA.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I know it's disappointing to find out that the expenses are too much, but you're wise to be investigating it now. Too many go full steam into recruitment, pledge a chapter, love it and then realize they can't continue because of the financial obligations. They then have to drop from a chapter they've come to care about.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

FSU Dues, Financial Aid and Scholarships

Some sororities do offer scholarships and/or financial assistance (for emergency situations), but some don't and you would really have no way of finding out which ones did offer them. I would imagine a brand new member would not be eligible for those right away, anyway. As with most scholarships/financial assistance, etc., it would not be automatically granted for the next year, so making a long term commitment based on short term resources might not be advisable.

There are sorority members who work in order to pay for their dues. Would that be an option for you? If so, you would need to be mindful of how flexible your time would be. You need to allow time to study, as well as time to enjoy your sorority membership. Could you work this summer and save that money to use toward your first semester dues?

I would imagine that most sororities do offer payment plans so that dues/room/board are stretched out over the whole semester. You have learned that the most expensive part of your membership will be the first semester, when one time new member fees, initiation fee and badge purchase are assessed.

More than your class standing, your GPA will probably be a detriment to your recruitment, but different chapters will have different GPA requirements. Many of the chapters used to (like in the past couple of years) mention the minimum GPA they were looking for on their chapter websites. You might see if they still do.

Realize that some things are stacked against you, and do what you can to make up for that. You have 2 recs. and that is good, but you really, really, really do need recs. to all the houses. That is something you can control-so do whatever if takes to find the recs. you need.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 05-13-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies! I just wanted to post to give y'all a very exciting update!!

After chatting with my roommate and getting feedback on here, I decided to sit down with my parents (who do support my decision to go Greek) about the reality of my financial obligations in joining a sorority and after much talk they have agreed to help me with the help of the sorority payment plans!!! I am so happy!! The reason they agreed is that my mom had told me if I didn't pledge a sorority, she wanted me to get an FSU meal plan because cooking this year was very hard for me with all my work and involvement. So I convinced her that if she was willing to pay for a meal plan (around same price as sorority dues) why not help me afford membership!

Also, I sent a letter to my financial aid office requesting more funds (I didn't receive as much due to a discrepancy, my fault, in my FAFSA) and they said they would take a look and see what they could offer me. I know that it's not at all a guarantee that I will get more, but it does make me hopeful. Even if they don't, however, my parents are still helping me which is enough.

Also, I took FSUZeta's advice and really hustled to get rec's. I already had 2, from two women in my church, but I didn't know anyone else. I literally couldn't find ANYONE! So I decided to email the alumnae chapters in Tallahassee and almost all of them responded that they would love to write me a recommendation! I've put a lot of minutes in my phone and lots of Skype dates but it has been so worth it. Not only for rec's but just to have met such incredible women and learn how much their sororities impacted and shaped their lives.

I don't know if any of you are Christians, but I am and I feel that this has been such a blessing from the Lord. I have been praying so much about this and was really, really crushed when I thought that I couldn't be a sorority woman. I feel like my prayers have been answered and I'm so overwhelmed with joy.

I've also been applying at a ton of places to work this summer and have already begun applying for on campus jobs so hopefully I will get something and be able to save up this summer.

Thank you again for all your insight and advice. Though some things are still up in the air, I know for sure that I have some recs (and hopefully more to come!), am able to pay my dues, and already registered for recruitment. I'm so excited! August 18th can't seem to come fast enough! I'll keep everyone posted on my recruitment experience and where I find my home
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad to hear things are coming together. I'm a Christian and a firm believer in the power of prayer. I know many PNMs who have prayed about, and been prayed for, regarding their recruitments and finding the right sorority. May He continue to lead, bless and open doors for you.

Knowing you can handle the financials and that recs are in the works are two biggies -- I know it's a relief having just those two things reined in. Enjoy getting ready for recruitment and keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I love hearing good news!!! I admire your fortitude, faith, and dedication in working to find solutions. I am so glad that the Tallahassee alumnae chapters are helping you out. Please keep us updated, and if you have any questions/concerns remember, we are here to help.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

This is a quote from the FSU 2013 recruitment guide:

Is a Recommendation Necessary for my Student to Get a Bid?
No! Recommendation letters are not required to receive a bid, and you will not in any way be penalized if a letter or form is not submitted on your behalf.

That is so unbelievably misleading.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

^^It truly is deceiving. FSU PNMs please read:

You do not need recommendation letters to enroll in FSU recruitment, HOWEVER, you really, truly need recs. to have a successful recruitment(i.e., get invited back to parties and ultimately receive a bid) at Florida State.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM

In fact, "you will not in any way be penalized" is membership selection, and is outright wrong. Panhellenic should be called on the carpet for that. That goes way beyond the technicality that recs are not required in order to participate.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
In fact, "you will not in any way be penalized" is membership selection, and is outright wrong. Panhellenic should be called on the carpet for that. That goes way beyond the technicality that recs are not required in order to participate.
It seems like that would be the best way to phrase it, too: "You do not need recs to participate in recruitment, but the individual policies of each sorority are private" or something.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Get recommendations for each sorority. Be open minded and roll with the punches-even if you have just one invitation, accept the invitation and go to the party-it only takes one and you can only receive one bid, so why not?

Alpha Omicron Pi will be colonizing this fall. It is not any easier avenue to a bid- even though a colony usually wants an assortment of new members from freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors-but it is an added opportunity this year at FSU.
I'm glad to hear AOPi will be returning to FSU. They've been gone for almost 35 years. Now we just need AXiD and SK to come back and we'll have all the chapters we had back in the late 60's before we went full on hippie days and lost those three along with Alpha Phi.

That said, FSU is just not the kind of campus where the parents (Mothers, actually) group by the hundreds to see if their daughters get the house they "should" join. We're far more southern than some realize, but we're not THAT obsessed. It would be uncool. And we're all about cool.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If your daughter is attending a school that is popular with out of state students, I can assure you that if she shows up without a rec, it's far easier for chapters to go with the easy way out during a late night membership selection and take a PNM who went to the same high school in Orlando that some of the members did, rather than a high school in South Carolina. It's called a safe pick, regardless of what Panhellenic may say.

I say this as a former VP of Membership (aka Rush Chairman), a chapter advisor, and a Chairman of a MAJOR city's Panhellenic Rush Council.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I'm glad to hear AOPi will be returning to FSU. They've been gone for almost 35 years. Now we just need AXiD and SK to come back and we'll have all the chapters we had back in the late 60's before we went full on hippie days and lost those three along with Alpha Phi.

That said, FSU is just not the kind of campus where the parents (Mothers, actually) group by the hundreds to see if their daughters get the house they "should" join. We're far more southern than some realize, but we're not THAT obsessed. It would be uncool. And we're all about cool.
Yes and yes. It would also be great to have Tri Sigma back. FSU lost Tri Sigma in the late 70's-Sigma Delta Tau is in their house. I hope FSU will continue to expand and all three can return.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Posted by the Panhellenic Association at Florida State University on Facebook

72 days until recruitment! Keep up with our recruitment hashtags this summer and join the conversation: #FSURect2013 and #WhyFSUPH!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Get recommendations for each sorority. Be open minded and roll with the punches-even if you have just one invitation, accept the invitation and go to the party-it only takes one and you can only receive one bid, so why not?

Alpha Omicron Pi will be colonizing this fall. It is not any easier avenue to a bid- even though a colony usually wants an assortment of new members from freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors-but it is an added opportunity this year at FSU.
What exactly does this mean? Do you mean find someone for each sorority to write you a recommendation? How seriously do they take you if you don't have one for their sorority? Thanks!