GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,411
3 members and 2,408 guests
MSKKG, navane

Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I love Lilly Pulitzer! And I just checked the site and found that there's a store that sells it near me! Hooray!

If only I had a JOB now...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2003, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I like those. Most...not all. I like that Elise. These dresses remind me of something Carrie or Charolette would wear on Sex in the City!

Don't fret! You've got good taste!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:14 PM

Hootie: Thank you; I'm glad you like most of them! I like 'em too and if my husband refuses to be seen with me well, then that's HIS problem!

Sheila: I can't believe there's a Lilly in Pittsburgh! This is very exciting news for me since there's no sales tax on clothing in Pennsylvania unlike Maryland. It's like a 5% discount so how could I NOT shop there, right???

Jadey: Sweetie, I can afford them because I'm old...so very old. It's one of life's tradeoffs: I no longer look all that great in a pair of short shorts or a 12-inch miniskirt but I can afford Lilly.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY, this is a topic.

Let me say:

Washington and Lee IS Lilly Pulitzer.
*drrrrrrrrrrroooooool*

Ok, so I'm too poor to afford one, but I can dream!

But basically, everyone wears them all the time. yeah.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I discoved a Lilly Pulitzer store in the Hamptons a few years ago. I thought that the dresses were so cute. The had them in grown women's size beside the little girl's matching dresses. I saw so many mommies and their little girls wearing matching dresses that summer. It was really sweet.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:56 PM

The skirts, dresses, and tops are cute!

But the pants. The pants give me nightmares. It's just too scary to think about.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That picture on the Photo Album page with the guy wearing a pink tie that matches his dates dress is too funny. I have *never* seen anything like that where I grew up and now where I live, I am sure they might be laughed at if they did that around here, just b/c people wouldn't know what to think. However, I think it is cute and kind of charming.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I must say that I did like the idea of the bridesmaids wearing a cute dress like that for a wedding instead of the traditional style dresses! Very sophisticated and colorful. Hmmm, maybe by the time I get married everyone will have money and will want to get dresses like that..................

Jadey
Old 03-25-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The dresses can be cute, the pants will make any big butt look bigger. I also think that "less is more" with Lilly. I saw a woman at a sailing regatta in Annapolis wearing the pants with the beach patch pattern from last summer with a hot pink t-shirt and a bright green cardigan over top. I think she was wearing some crazy ol' green shoes with them too. yikes.

I have a bag with the turtle design on it...I got it at The Pink Crab (I have issues with that name for some reason) last summer. I definitely need to lose some weight before I could wear any of those prints on my body with confidence though.

Apparently a lot of the DGs at Gettysburg College have Lilly letters...I couldn't imagine cutting up one of those dresses!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I adore Lilly -- they are so Palm Beach! I plan to buy many of her items this year. But remember not to limit yourself just to the fun, flashy dresses. She has some very tasteful polos and capris!!!

Because they are very pink and preppy, kind of old-school and not real sexy, I can understand boys not liking them. But I will wear them anyway!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM

If I lived in a warm climate, I'd be wearing that stuff all the time!!
They're adorable and I LOVE BRiGHT COLOURS!!
Old 06-29-2003, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

No offense to anyone, but I really don't like most of the prints (especially flourescent colors). Until I figured out what Lilly was, I wondered why people were wearing such weird sundresses. I think some of the toned-down solid colored dresses are very pretty, but I just don't like the look of a day-glo green and neon pink print dress! I don't care if it's in. I wonder how many girls would actually buy clothes in those colors if it weren't for the brand name (and the fact that everyone at a Southern school can tell she's paid $175 for her sundress from 100 yards away).
Old 06-29-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
A Lilly Pulitzer dress is not a "trendy" item. It's a fabric that aims to represent a lifestyle.
I was brought up with Lilly stuff, and I have no problem saying that it has become a trend in recent memory. It may represent a Hamptons/Newport/coastal vacation lifestyle, but you can't deny that it's gotten very popular in the past few years, "trendy," even. When a discount retailer is making knock-offs of an item, you can bet that it's trendy...and the preppy look is very popular right now. People have been carrying the LLBean bags with monograms for generations, but they have been all over the place a lot about two years ago among people who otherwise had not been about them--I think that qualifies as a "trend." Same thing with Burberry--when rappers start singing about it, it's a trend. In a few years, the mainstream will get tired of them, demand a new look, and the families who were originally into them to wear to Easthampton and Sag Harbor will continue to wear them. This is what happens.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 06-29-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
That's just the thing. A Lilly Pulitzer dress is not a "trendy" item.
I think it's trendy, in the sense that lots of girls are wearing it all of a sudden. I don't remember seeing that many Lilly dresses at college a couple years ago, but this year they were common, and people (well, girls) were talking about it.

Lilly is a "trend" in the same way that Lacoste shirts are a trend. They're classic, they've been around forever, but they seem to be popping up everywhere when they might not have been a few years ago among the same college crowd.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:09 PM

If I remember correctly, they mention Lilly Pulitzer in "The Preppy Handbook," in the women's clothing section. If I knew where my copy was I'd find it but I don't so I can't (hehehe). Her stuff is adorable. I too grew up seeing it around, but then again- my town is listed in the "Appropriate Suburbs to Raise a Preppy Family" section of the afore mention book....