GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2018, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Parents need to take more responsibility for inculcating wise values and standards to their children. Parents usually have 16-20 years to work earnestly at same before sending students away to university.
I'm sorry, but this is bull****.

College is a different world. A young person living under their parents' roof for 18 years is suddenly thrown into a place with no parents, thousands of other students their age, and is expected to make major life decisions on their own, and you think that what their parents have always taught them is going to stick 100%?

I've known people who were straight as an arrow in high school that turned into raging alcoholics in college. I also have a friend who didn't drink a drop of alcohol in college because she drank all throughout middle school and high school and she was trying to turn her life around.

Putting it all on the parents is ridiculous.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-02-2018, 01:19 AM

The no keg policies are what really sent everything flying off the rails. We drank beer because it was cheap and there. And while it can get you messed up if you drink 7 or 8, I have been to VERY few parties or mixers that didn't kick before that could even occur. We just plain didn't have that kind of money. (Which is another reason things have gone off the rails. Too many kids with credit cards.)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
PhilTau, You didn't serve trash can punch? As a pledge I was warned to avoid that at all costs. It could be very strong-often made with Everclear, and then, you never knew what else might have been added in. I drank canned Cokes at socials to be safe.
Actually, we did. One fall semester, about a week into school, we threw a campus-wide Everclear trashcan Delaware punch party and charged $1 per cup. We made enough money from that one event to pay for our formals for the year. Our house was just off campus and everyone from the freshmen dorms showed up.

The next day, there was a 40 percent absentee rate in the freshman classes and the dean of students called our president into his office that afternoon. We were in definite trouble until our president showed him the temporary liquor license that we obtained from the state alcohol control commission prior to the party. He let us off, but told us to not do it again - and we didn't. Different times back then.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Savvy president!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is bull****.

College is a different world. A young person living under their parents' roof for 18 years is suddenly thrown into a place with no parents, thousands of other students their age, and is expected to make major life decisions on their own, and you think that what their parents have always taught them is going to stick 100%?

I've known people who were straight as an arrow in high school that turned into raging alcoholics in college. I also have a friend who didn't drink a drop of alcohol in college because she drank all throughout middle school and high school and she was trying to turn her life around.

Putting it all on the parents is ridiculous.
Other 18 year olds are married, some are single parents, some are in Iraq or Afghanistan. You best believe they can, and should, be able to make major life decisions on their own. Only on college campuses are they treated as pseudo-adults until they're 22, or in some cases, even older. It's a cultural thing.

Maybe I was raised differently, but I had real talk about alcohol and drug use in my house growing up. Then again, I knew people who were out and out addicts and alcoholics, so I never wanted to grow up to be like those people. Kids are sheltered. They're protected from the realities of the world.

In the military, people join when they're 18, there's alcohol everywhere when you get to your first duty station (even AIT in some cases), yet you don't hear about those kids drinking themselves to death? There's drugs too- if you want them.

I get so sick of people on this site coddling college kids. Coddling them is what got them into the situation in the first place.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Other 18 year olds are married, some are single parents, some are in Iraq or Afghanistan. You best believe they can, and should, be able to make major life decisions on their own. Only on college campuses are they treated as pseudo-adults until they're 22, or in some cases, even older. It's a cultural thing.

Maybe I was raised differently, but I had real talk about alcohol and drug use in my house growing up. Then again, I knew people who were out and out addicts and alcoholics, so I never wanted to grow up to be like those people. Kids are sheltered. They're protected from the realities of the world.

In the military, people join when they're 18, there's alcohol everywhere when you get to your first duty station (even AIT in some cases), yet you don't hear about those kids drinking themselves to death? There's drugs too- if you want them.

I get so sick of people on this site coddling college kids. Coddling them is what got them into the situation in the first place.
I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

My point is that putting it all on the parents' shoulders when their kids misbehave in college is ridiculous. These students SHOULD be making major life decisions on their own, but many of them have never had to do that before. And when they gain that responsibility, they don't know what to do with it.

I do agree with most of your post. However, if you don't think that hazing and binge drinking occurs in the military, then I have a bridge to sell you.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Then we agree. Sorry- I had been awake for like 30+ hours when I wrote that.

I know drinking exists in the military, I participated in it lol. I guess what I'm trying to say is it exists anywhere people are 18-25 in groups. It just seems like the deaths occur on college campuses. Young adults are drinking other places, and they're probably taking it too far, but the deaths seem to be happening on campuses. Something is going on here specifically- that's the question people need to answer to get to the bottom of this.