GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,010
0 members and 1,010 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
I'm not sure there was any point to anyone questioning whether "white folks" or anyone else considers the caricature on the ADPi t-shirt offensive.

Just asking LaneSig, as he opened the thread with:

I was shocked that this image was found on a sorority shirt at Samford -- who wouldn't be? What was meant by that comment?

Just wondering how deep his sensitivities actually run -- unjustly suggesting that some "folks" on this thread don't understand the insensitive nature of the t-shirt image, while embracing the insensitive mascot history of his own alma mater.
Since this is a chatboard and knowing that it is impossible to know someone's vocal tones and intonations, please know that this message is not being sent in an angry or exasperated tone; just someone trying to explain and, apparently, defend himself.

I did start off with "I wish I could say I'm shocked." But, you left out the next sentence: "I wish we weren't discussing this-again."

When I said that, I was speaking of the number of times that racially insensitive shirts, parties, etc., still pop up. My true wish is that our organizations would think ahead and realize how something like the caricature on this shirt doesn't bring up an "Oh, how cute" feeling to a large number of people. I wish that organizations would understand that there is deep hurt on people when they have a party where people dress in ways that mock other people or cultures (like the party a number of years ago where signs were held up saying "I don't cut weeds, I smoke them" as they were dressed in outfits to represent Hispanic/Latino people). I wish people would understand that there is a difference between respect and "politically correct".

I will offer an apology to the ADPis at Samford and on the GC boards for my initial belief that the members of ADPi at Samford intentionally made the shirt while knowing about the caricature. After all of the information came out, it is clear that they did not intend to insult or degrade African-Americans. If my original tone read as such, I am truly sorry.

As for the "GC White Folk" comments. I was replying to what I perceived as KSUViolet's comment directed toward the shirt and people not understanding the demeaning image. I wanted to assure her that, as I stated, the vast majority of GCers understood that the image is inappropriate and unsettling.

But as I said later, after consideration I am inferring that she was commenting about what are - again, in my opinion- snide remarks about watermelon. Again, she has not commented further to clear her statement, but if it is the latter I agree with her.

"Would your eye for the offensive tag the image of an Indian as inappropriate?"

In my younger days, to be honest, no. In these days, yes. As for my comment about making the chapter I advise send me their t-shirt designs, that is exactly the kind of image that watch out for. I also check for phrases that are inappropriate, images of alcohol (intentional or unintentional), etc.

Now, onto my signature. Am I being a hypocrite? Probably. With so many memories of being with fraternity brothers and friends, singing "Cause I-N-D-I-A-N-S, spells victory!", that is hard to give up. The image you posted, of "Jumping Joe" at the time never bothered me. In the mid-90s when many suggested that the image was insulting, I supported a change to another image (that I can't post because I suck at computers) that had stylized letters of "ASU" with a profile Native American in headdress in the "S".

When the NCAA passed the rule that schools with Native American mascots had to change symbols, I did question it. I do feel that "Indians", "Seminoles", "Fighting Sioux" is not the same as mascots like "Savages" or "Redskins". But I accepted it, figuring that there were other more important things in life to fight about. (For the record, I just don't care for 'Red Wolves'. I know that they were once plentiful in Arkansas, but I was one of the many people who wanted 'Woodpeckers'.)

In about 10 years, when PETA protests that schools shouldn't have animals as mascots and ASU changes to the Fighting Kumquats, my new signature will be changed to acknowledge the new mascot.

So, to sum up:

- I wish people would think before hosting parties and having shirts with inappropriate symbols.

-I apologize to ADPi and its membership for making an assumption that the chapter at Samford intentionally and knowingly printed a shirt with a degrading symbol.

-I do believe that I was clear in stating that the vast majority of GCers understand that the caricature on the shirt was hurtful to black people.

-I do believe that the people who made comments about 'watermelon' don't understand the way the stereotype has been used to hurt African-Americans.

-I don't apologize for keeping an eye on the chapter I advise to make sure that they don't intentionally or unintentionally insult cultures or ethnicities.

-I am probably a hypocrite because I have good memories of cheering on my alma mater with what is now considered an inappropriate symbol, but choose not to apologize for my feelings.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-21-2016, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is no dispute that the image was racially insensitive, and clearly a string of oversights occurred that must be corrected. It is good that the trail of oversights was investigated and formal apologies issued.

On the other hand, the president of Samford also seemed bent on creating unnecessary drama – this is hardly a campus “crisis” that should ruin the experience of all AA students at Samford. If I even wondered about the president’s interest in milking the PR angle, I didn’t when I read this in his letter:
A little context - I also found the President's initial statement a little overwrought. But this story broke on the morning of graduation day at Samford. Not that there would be any good day for a university to make national news for this reason, but it surely heightened the emotional drama for all involved.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

LaneSig, I appreciate your candor and the time you took to respond.

Your explanation highlights what you feel is insensitive, and what you feel is not so insensitive in your experience and past tradition that you feel it necessitates an apology or rejection of your tradition. I get it – not judging – your past (or present) support of past images/mascots did not involve any intention to disrespect a race of people – then or now.

Somewhere a boundary surely exists between what is reasonable, in terms of sensitivity observance, and what may be a tick too far in terms of hyper-sensitive vigilance. As you point out – an image of a savage is different from that of a Seminole.

Which brings me your comment:
Quote:
-I do believe that the people who made comments about 'watermelon' don't understand the way the stereotype has been used to hurt African-Americans.
I cannot speak for other members, but those comments were clearly in response to mine concerning the anecdote about watermelon at a reception being insensitive, not the image on the t-shirt. There is nothing racist or insensitive about serving watermelon, IMO, even though the AA executive felt differently and chose to allow watermelon to ruin an event held in his honor.

As I indicated in my previous comments, such a reaction to serving watermelon is an example of sensitivity taken a tick too far, and IMO, that was the essence of the watermelon comments which followed. I don’t see anything to be apologetic for there – failure to recognize watermelon, on its own, as racially insensitive, is not a white privilege blind spot.

And I’m not apologetic for that view.

Thanks again – I think we probably agree more than we disagree.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LaneSig, I appreciate your candor and the time you took to respond.

Your explanation highlights what you feel is insensitive, and what you feel is not so insensitive in your experience and past tradition that you feel it necessitates an apology or rejection of your tradition. I get it – not judging – your past (or present) support of past images/mascots did not involve any intention to disrespect a race of people – then or now.

Somewhere a boundary surely exists between what is reasonable, in terms of sensitivity observance, and what may be a tick too far in terms of hyper-sensitive vigilance. As you point out – an image of a savage is different from that of a Seminole.

Which brings me your comment:
I cannot speak for other members, but those comments were clearly in response to mine concerning the anecdote about watermelon at a reception being insensitive, not the image on the t-shirt. There is nothing racist or insensitive about serving watermelon, IMO, even though the AA executive felt differently and chose to allow watermelon to ruin an event held in his honor.

As I indicated in my previous comments, such a reaction to serving watermelon is an example of sensitivity taken a tick too far, and IMO, that was the essence of the watermelon comments which followed. I don’t see anything to be apologetic for there – failure to recognize watermelon, on its own, as racially insensitive, is not a white privilege blind spot.

And I’m not apologetic for that view.

Thanks again – I think we probably agree more than we disagree.
From your position as a longtime University of Alabama sorority member where you were responsible for decades upon decades upon decades of overt institutionalized racism, you have no place to explain to others what racism is an isn't and how those affected should feel.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
From your position as a longtime University of Alabama sorority member where you were responsible for decades upon decades upon decades of overt institutionalized racism, you have no place to explain to others what racism is an isn't and how those affected should feel.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While from your position (as what?) you have a place to characterize all longtime sorority members at the UofA as personally responsible for decades of institutionalized racism?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be offended. Sororitysock seems to have a tendency of making sweeping statements. Such as this gem:

Quote:
I am very much aware that this school is not UT as she said "small" Texas school. I am also very much aware of the ins and outs of recruitment in many parts of the US, but particularly the south and Texas. I am also much more familiar with your school's recruitment and you'd be rather shocked to know how familiar I am. The artificial "competitiveness" caused by IU's failure to comply with recruitment procedures followed by every school in the country still has nothing on the southern recruitments. Tromping around in Converses beyond the first day would look just plain weird. You're the one who has a lane to stay in on this topic.
It is refreshing to read in this thread that Sororitysock is not racist, and limits superficial judgment of PNMs to their knowledge of appropriately stylish footwear that conforms to the predetermined expectations of the vast numbers of southern sorority members with whom s/he is familiar.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Don't be offended. Sororitysock seems to have a tendency of making sweeping statements. Such as this gem:

It is refreshing to read in this thread that Sororitysock is not racist, and limits superficial judgment of PNMs to their knowledge of appropriately stylish footwear that conforms to the predetermined expectations of the vast numbers of southern sorority members with whom s/he is familiar.
Oh -- funny thread!

I failed to recognize SororitySock’s omniscience. And sensitivity.

Which actually answers my question, “position (as what?).”

Last edited by Hartofsec; 05-23-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
As a proud alumna of Delta State University, I fully embrace the Fighting Okra mascot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
In about 10 years, when PETA protests that schools shouldn't have animals as mascots and ASU changes to the Fighting Kumquats, my new signature will be changed to acknowledge the new mascot.