GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,647
3 members and 1,644 guests
g41965, PGD-GRAD, Sister Havana

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

How should a pledge address senior brothers during the pledge process?

I was wondering if it is common to have pledges address senior brothers in a fraternity as "sir" during the pledge process. I am pledging this semester and the pledge period begins next week. My initial assumption is to automatically address the frat's president and members of the rush committee as "sir." Is this a good idea, and should I address all brothers in this way?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on the chapter/campus culture. They'll likely make it clear when you begin pledging though.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
It really depends on the chapter/campus culture. They'll likely make it clear when you begin pledging though.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, but my fraternity holds interviews before you formally start to pledge, so should I address the brothers interviewing me as "sir"? Also, would you recommend dressing up formally (shirt & tie) for the interview?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert85 View Post
Thanks, but my fraternity holds interviews before you formally start to pledge, so should I address the brothers interviewing me as "sir"? Also, would you recommend dressing up formally (shirt & tie) for the interview?
Interview = formal (or business casual, at the very least)

I don't remember being asked questions that required "sir" in the answer during my interview. Just be respectful and professional.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually prefer that my lesser members call me derogatory names. Maybe that's just my chapter, though.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

So wait you've been given a bid,
and then you must interview before pledging?
Or once you pass the interview you get a bid?

In an interview I would never want a potential pledge to call me sir...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait I'm confused. Did you even get a bid yet?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Interview = formal (or business casual, at the very least)

I don't remember being asked questions that required "sir" in the answer during my interview. Just be respectful and professional.
To piggy back on this, part of your interview will be to evaluate how respectful and professional you are toward the fraternity and in general. As such, while you do not need to be stiff or overly formal in your replies, do not curse or use slang. Even if the members do so themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So wait you've been given a bid, and then you must interview before pledging? Or once you pass the interview you get a bid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Wait I'm confused. Did you even get a bid yet?
Just a guess, but I think it is the bolded part. This sounds more like an "intake" process versus - for lack of a better way of putting it - an IFC "type" of bidding (bid extended, pledging, membership vote if applicable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
In an interview I would never want a potential pledge to call me sir.
Agreed.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the tips. A successful interview will lead to a bid and the pledge period starts immediately after that. I was told that if I'm offered a bid, I will be asked to accept or decline within an hour or so after the interview. If I accept, I would stay at the frat house for a bid ceremony and the start of the pledge period.

I don't mean to be pretentious, but I expect to pass the interview and be offered a bid, as the fraternity only had five potential pledges attend rush events. I think that only three of the five will actually go ahead with the interviews. The frat has 40 active members.

So, I guess that neat, business attire is acceptable for the interview stage, as well as a general level of respect. I asked one of the brothers whether I would have to address them as "sir" once I become a pledge. He just smiled and said sarcastically: "what do you think?"

TSteven: what do you mean by an "intake process" vs. IFC bidding?

Last edited by rupert85; 01-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. A successful interview will lead to a bid and the pledge period starts immediately after that. I was told that if I'm offered a bid, I will be asked to accept or decline within an hour or so after the interview. If I accept, I would stay at the frat house for a bid ceremony and the start of the pledge period.

I don't mean to be pretentious, but I expect to pass the interview and be offered a bid, as the fraternity only had five potential pledges attend rush events. I think that only three of the five will actually go ahead with the interviews. The frat has 40 active members.

So, I guess that neat, business attire is acceptable for the interview stage, as well as a general level of respect. I asked one of the brothers whether I would have to address them as "sir" once I become a pledge. He just smiled and said sarcastically: "what do you think?"
Dude, it's not about numbers only. Just because you are one of five interviewed doesn't mean for sure you will get a bid. Also I would go with business attire since your pinning ritual would be right after.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Dude, it's not about numbers only. Just because you are one of five interviewed doesn't mean for sure you will get a bid. Also I would go with business attire since your pinning ritual would be right after.
I guess that's true, but can they really go ahead with a class of only 3 or 4 pledges? I will go in business attire (shirt, tie, suit), but I don't know what happens once the pinning ritual has been completed and the pledging begins. Both are happening on the same day/night and we were told to leave our schedule completely open that day. Is business attire appropriate if the actual pledging begins?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess that's true, but can they really go ahead with a class of only 3 or 4 pledges? I will go in business attire (shirt, tie, suit), but I don't know what happens once the pinning ritual has been completed and the pledging begins. Both are happening on the same day/night and we were told to leave our schedule completely open that day. Is business attire appropriate if the actual pledging begins?
They can take as many or as few members as they want.

And attire questions really should be answered by members of the organization, not us.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess that's true, but can they really go ahead with a class of only 3 or 4 pledges?
In a word, yes.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
TSteven: what do you mean by an "intake process" vs. IFC bidding?
Others should be able to explain it better, but generally speaking, what is often referred to as an "intake process" (different fraternities may call it different things) is similar to what you have described as what you are going though.

After consideration, a potential new member (PNM) is invited to an interview by the fraternity. If the PNM "passes" (my words) the interview, he may then be extended a bid. At that point, he begins his pledgeship or new member period. After that, there may be another vote by the fraternity to extend membership.

"IFC bidding" (again, for lack of a better way of putting it) is the process where after consideration, a bid is extended to the PNM - most likely without any official interview. If he accepts, then his pledging begins. Before initiation, some fraternities or chapters might have some sort of an interview. Also, some fraternities may require a membership vote at this time.

The "intake process" is most often associated with fraternities that are members of the National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association (NAPA), the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO), the National Multicultural Greek Council (NMGC) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC).

While the "IFC bidding" (again, my words), is most often associated with fraternities that are members of the campus Interfraternity Council (IFC) and/or the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC).

Note, a fraternity may belong to more than one conference, association and/or council.

And the way each fraternity "brings in" members may be different. So again, these are just generalizations.

Best of luck.