GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,313
0 members and 2,313 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
When dues don't get paid, the entire chapter suffers.
Indeed. Our chapters aren't eligible for any awards if even one member's dues are unpaid.

On the plus side, we have several contingency plans for emergency dues situations - loans and grants on both local and international levels. I totally agree with kddani about those who claim poverty yet have the latest Louis Vuitton!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

On the plus side, we have several contingency plans for emergency dues situations - loans and grants on both local and international levels. I totally agree with kddani about those who claim poverty yet have the latest Louis Vuitton!
When I was a collegiate advisor, we had a senior who was brought up at EC every month for having outstanding dues. She was already on a payment system for quite some time and gave the same excuse -- "money was tight". Funny how money WASN'T tight everytime I saw her at the bar on the weekends.

It's a shame because she couldn't get alum status when she applied for it in her 5th year.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i believe that most if not all panhellenics either share the financial information of sorority membership during the recruitment info. session, or each chapter shares the financial requirements at some point during the recruitment process. women joining npc sororities have a very good idea of the costs before they sign their bid card.
Yes, I think panhellenics are supposed to supply that info., but I also think on some campuses the information gets taken too lightly. As a Rho Chi, I was told to tell the girls that sororities have scholarships and will work something out with you if you can't afford it, which was actually a little misleading (yeah, there are scholarships, but not for everyone; and there are payment plans, but the money still needs to get paid eventually).
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i believe that most if not all panhellenics either share the financial information of sorority membership during the recruitment info. session, or each chapter shares the financial requirements at some point during the recruitment process. women joining npc sororities have a very good idea of the costs before they sign their bid card.

I'm not sure if EVERY school does this or is required to do this. I've heard that at some schools, it's taboo to inquire about anything to do with money, because the chapters may assume that a woman can't afford to join.

At my school, part of Day 2 of recruitment is financial presentations. Girls are given (to take home) a sheet from EVERY sorority detailing all the financial obligations of joining (dues/fees/meal plans/housing). Panhellenic also requires that we give these sheets out during informal/COB as well.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

That's what i meant jocelyn. i can't imagine a campus where financial requirments would not be shared during recruitment.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe it IS required during NPC Recruitment for each chapter to share their finacial responsibility with PNMs. Some might just kind of graze over it, but I do believe that it's actually required.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Yes.
How can U take away something that was purchased by the member themselves. I can see if U paid for it. But if it came out of their pockets how can U do that
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPhetic1 View Post
How can U take away something that was purchased by the member themselves. I can see if U paid for it. But if it came out of their pockets how can U do that
Dora Depledge...give me your ASA stuff back.

Easy.

Why would you want stuff from a group you're not a part of?

U get it??
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The official items of the organization always belong to the national headquarters because they represent the entity. The person chose to pay to become a member but revokes all rights, responsibilities and ownership when he or she chooses to disaffiliate. This is why we ask for people to return all of those official items (i.e. ritual, pins, membership booklets) to the national headquarters. Many people fail to do so which only makes them look simpleminded.

Paraphernalia purchased by the individual, such as tshirts and license plate covers, are more difficult to recover from the person but many chapters collect them from the person. Some chapters have had to "steal" them back from the person. So what a person paid $20 for a shirt? The letters and symbols always belong to the organization and not the person, which is why members are expected to adhere to certain protocol in displaying every item they purchase.

For some reason, many people want to denounce an organization but still want to be able to own a piece of the organization and claim the organization when they feel like it--usually to fit in with a certain crowd or say something negative. They have no real love or respect for the entity and sometimes want to do stupid stuff to disrespect the entity (i.e. sell certain items on ebay or give a nonmember symbols to wear).
Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
The official items of the organization always belong to the national headquarters because they represent the entity. The person chose to pay to become a member but revokes all rights, responsibilities and ownership when he or she chooses to disaffiliate. This is why we ask for people to return all of those official items (i.e. ritual, pins, membership booklets) to the national headquarters. Many people fail to do so which only makes them look simpleminded.
I understand returning ritual or membersip booklets, membership ID cards but it just seemed crazy to take away tee-shirts, jackets hats etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand returning ritual or membersip booklets, membership ID cards but it just seemed crazy to take away tee-shirts, jackets hats etc.
Would you still wear the items if you deactivated?

If yes: Then WTH did you deactivate? If you still want to be a member (and it was your decision to deactivate), be a member or loose the privilidges. If you were forced to deactivate, then your National has expressed that they belive you are not worthy to wear the letters.

If no: Then WTH keep the stuff if you're not going to wear it? (And no, selling it on eBay is not a good answer either).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
it just seemed crazy to take away tee-shirts, jackets hats etc.

Not if you really read my entire post.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you sign something where it is explicity written and in terms upholdable to contract law, that you must return your pin? I have always wondered the actual legality of this. No Fraternity is going to send legal action against you in the real world. A lot of this is playing on fear and inexperience.

As for other personal items purchased by or for a member who has resigned, these are property of the owner, not the Fraternity. The excuse of "what does she need them for" does not hold any water. You cannot go around demanding things from people, regardless of your intentions. It is tantamount to harassment. And what if they don't comply? Do you continue to ask, demand, maybe escalate this? Give me back that pencil! Selling them or giving them away, no matter how much you don't like it, is up to the owner.

Last edited by DGMarie; 10-10-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMarie View Post
As for other personal items purchased by or for a member who has resigned, these are property of the owner, not the Fraternity. The excuse of "what does she need them for" does not hold any water. You cannot go around demanding things from people, regardless of your intentions. It is tantamount to harassment. And what if they don't comply? Do you continue to ask, demand, maybe escalate this? Give me back that pencil!
We've bought big items back from the owner (like jackets) but for the most part, they are more than happy to get sweatshirts and other letter items out of their sight and give them back. Someone who's self-terming (like for $$ issues) would probably just give them to their little. It's as much of a drama as they wish to make it.

Sorry, but if you bought 8000 letter sweatshirts and didn't have the respect for your sisters to the point that you indulged you in actions that got you terminated, it's your own fault. Nobody would be asking you for things back if you would have upheld your end of the bargain.

Not only that, when people depledge, often their letter sweatshirts, tote bags, etc were NOT purchased by the pledge - they were purchased by the pledge's big or by the chapter on bid day. No one is going to go after someone for using a lettered pencil - to imply they would is ridiculous.

And before you say "I would never do that", you need to have the experience of someone who has been terminated for truly heinous acts walking around your campus sporting your letters and still representing herself as an XYZ. Until that happens to you, you have no idea.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you can *ask* for the items back but you probably don't have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to things like sweatshirts and whatnot-

Many organizations DO have it in their bylaws or articles of incorporation (check yours to find out) that the badge belongs to HQ or can only be worn by members. On those grounds, the national organization may request such items be returned.