GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,386
0 members and 2,386 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2003, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to slamit93 Send a message via Yahoo to slamit93
how long is your pledge period?

when I initiated ours was 10 weeks, but our IHQ is pushing a 4-1-4 program which means that our pledges initiate on the 5th week now... it is helpful, because we can initiate 2 or even 3 pledge classes a semester, but we don't even get to see mid-term grades before they are supposed to initiate... we've done it for a year now, and our grades haven't dropped off noticeably, but they have tapered slightly, because we have initiated a person or two each semester that ended up failing the majority of their classes.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2003, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a 4-6 week program for our new members. However, on our campus we can't pledge first semester first-year students, so we do get to see grades, that probably helps a bit.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

slamit, the 4-1-4 sysem sounds really interesting, but i'm not quite sure I understand it.

Are you saying four weeks of pre-initiation education, then initiation week, the four weeks of post initiation education?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Our candidate program lasts 1 semester and generally they are fully initated shortly after we get grades back (not fully initiated unless their GPA is above all-men's average).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-19-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The pledge period for Beta Sigma Phi is a minimum of 6 MONTHS. However, a pledge has complete membership privileges upon acceptance of the invitation, so although I am certainly anxious to earn "Ritual of Jewels" status, the long pledge period is bareable.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-20-2003, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to slamit93 Send a message via Yahoo to slamit93
the 4-1-4 is supposed to be 4 weeks of pre-initiation education, I-week, and then 4 more weeks of eductaion... the latter 4 rarely end up being a full four weeks though... at least for us so far, we are still working out the kinks... the thing is, is we have pretty much crammed the old 10 week program into 4 weeks, so that we don't have a whole lot left to teach them after initiation... Like I said, the drawbacks are that we initiate people before mid-terms, and then hope they make grades, we also don't have much time to get to know the guys.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

how long is your pledge period

Alpha Phi Omega's National Pledging Standards state that the pledge period should be 6 to 10 weeks long (its up to each chapter to determine how long their program is). It begins with the Pledge Ceremony and ends with the Induction Ceremony when the Pledges become Brothers.

The Chapter I work with has a 8 week program of pledge training sessions between the 2 ceremonies. I find that that works best for what we need to cover and gives the pledges the time to complete their requirements. Because our Rush is after Greek Rush, we start our pledge program shortly afterwards, and usually wrap up a few weeks before the semester is over.

Some schools dictate a shorter period. Because of that, those chapters have a shorter pledge period.

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-22-2003, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Theta Chi's pledge education program usually lasts 8 weeks. Sometimes it is shorter, sometimes it is longer. It all depends upon the number of pledges and their progress through the pledge period.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Delta Phi Epsilon's new member program is to be no longer than 6 weeks, and honestly, it's plenty of time. As someone said earlier, it allows for a second NM class if need be too!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krystle
I dont think that we at BSC have a specific period..but I do know that ours lasted 9 weeks (even though it felt like SOOOOO much longer) and the longest I think, was my "Mom's" class. They had 14 weeks. Crazy I know.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

According to our General Regulations for Chapters, '[t]he period of probationary membership shall not be less than four weeks, nor more than three calendar months, or in accordance with the policies of the sheltering institution in consultation with the national staff." Within those limits, each chapter can make its own decisions. In my experience, six-eight weeks is common.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
Our program is 8-10 weeks. It usually depends on what is going on that semester for initiation.

Green, green the ivy twines...
Old 05-03-2003, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSSTCY1
The school sets a certain date for pledges to be in by- but no one really pays attention to this rule. The longest pledge period that I know of to date was this semester- they pledged 12 weeks. The shortest was a few years ago- 4 weeks.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
I think for ADPi it's a 4-6 week Alpha period (other ADPi's, correct me if I'm wrong!...it's been a while ) At our university freshmen couldn't join a sorority until the second semster, so we had mid-terms AND final semester grades to look at when women were going through recruitment.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:43 AM
alpha1904

Ours is 10-27 weeks long. It depends on the pledge class.