GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 925
2 members and 923 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Very Vera Recruitment!

I went through recruitment last year, but I just discovered GC this year. So, I figured I might as well post my recruitment story! There were 10 established sororities at my school when I went through and DZ was colonizing. This will be a Vera Bradley themed story

The sororities are:
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Delta Delta
Zeta Tau Alpha
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Chi Omega

The prints (in no particular order):
Very Berry Paisley
Peacock
Paprika
Lemon Parfait
Baroque
Bali Blue
Cupcakes Pink
Indigo Pop
Viva La Vera
Suzani

Day 1 was Greek Forum where we met our Rho Gamma and saw all of the presentations etc. etc.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Oh you are speaking my language--Vera Bradley! WOOT
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 - UCF Day

I went through a slight internal debate about whether or not to post what school I was at and decided to just go for it!

I was so excited that the day was FINALLY here! I had waited for the better part of my summer to go through Recruitment and find my sisters. I stalked the Pan website as well as all of the sororities websites and drove by Greek Park (I live 15 minutes away from UCF) more times than I am willing to admit. The day was hot like only Florida can get. They said to dress casual, but everyone was saying that sorority casual isn't shorts and a shirt. So I decided to don a skirt, some pearls, and my biggest smile. I checked in with my Rho Gamma and sat in the tent for what felt like FOREVER! Especially since it was 9:00 in the morning and it was so humid that even my always straight hair looked like it was about to curl! Finally they told us we could go to the door of Very Berry Paisley. This was the only sorority that didn't line us up in alpha order.

Before we entered each house, the Rho Gammas stationed at that house would teach us the chant for the particular sorority. This being the first house, I had no idea what was going to happen. A Rho Gamma knocked on the door to give the sorority their time warning. After that we learned the chant and the Rho Gammas had us chant it and all of a sudden - trough the closed doors- comes Very Berry Paisley's chant at full volume. I'm sure my eyes were as wide as saucers and my smile looked like the Cheshire cat's. I'm the kind of girl who likes loud, exciting things and this was exactly that. We do this exchange a few more times and then the doors open to a ton of screaming girls jumping up and down and clapping. We all filed in through the door and soon enough one of the jumping girls is motioning for me to follow her to the great room. The music, jumping and clapping continues for a few more minutes until everyone is inside. Once they closed the doors, there was screaming and jumping until the President and VP of Recruitment introduced themselves. After that everyone turned to each other and started talking. Very Berry Paisley was one of the sororities that I really liked going in to Recruitment and they did not disappoint. The first girl I talked to was really sweet and chill. I mentioned that I loved Vera Bradley and she then introduced me to her sister that worked in the Vera outlet! I just could not get the perma smile off of my face and I walked out very happy with this sorority.

We gathered our stuff and made our way over to Peacock. They walked us around to their backyard area where they put us in alpha order and led us around front because we were apparently running late. (My rho gamma group was in the back for the rest of the parties because of the way it was grouped so I really couldn't hear/learn any of the other chants or door songs for the rest of the sororities except three.) A Rho Gamma gave a warning knock and we waited to get inside. This was, again, one of the sororities that I really liked going in. I don't really remember anything spectacular about walking in. They were obviously smiling, but compared to Very Berry Paisley, this house was quiet. A girl led me to a front room area and when the music stopped we started talking. It turned out she was from the area as well and actually knew one of my cousins! Looking back, I probably should have tried to talk more about myself and less about the people I knew. Overall, I liked the chill atmosphere of the girls and their house was GORGEOUS to top it off. I left really liking these girls as well.

We grabbed our stuff from under the tent and made our way over to Paprika. They lined us up in order, taught the front of the line the chant and gave the warning knock. All of a sudden I see people pointing up at the second floor windows. Low and behold there were fraternity guys checking out all of us PNMs (Paprika doesn't have a house so they rent one out from a fraternity). It wasn't that big of a deal, it was actually kind of funny. Then the Panhellenic President comes up on a golf cart and tells us to ignore them. So fine, whatever, interesting start to a party. Paprika was probably my number 2 sorority going in, so I had VERY high expectations and they fell short. They were fun and energetic, but the conversation was so awkward (partially my fault because in retrospect I was definitely trying to be someone I thought they would want me to be and not myself at all.) So I left a little disheartened that I didn't like them as much as I thought I would.

Ok, I've written SO MUCH for just three houses, I'm going to take a little break and come back

Last edited by showmethevera; 08-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Hoping for an Alpha Xi ending of course, but I'll root for Viva La Vera!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 cont.

Lemon Parfait was a house that I didn't really think I would like too much going in, but as soon as they played "Perfect Day" my smile definitely got wider (I lovelovelove Legally Blonde!!!). We walked in and my rusher directed me to a small room with a couch and a couple of chairs. She said I should sit down in one of the chairs, so I did and then she knelt on the floor. This was somewhat awkward and I always felt like I was talking down to her. I soon discovered that the vibe of the girls overall was pretty chill and I had a great conversation with the person rushing me. I left this house happy and glad that I didn't let my preconceived notions get in the way of having a good time.

Let me just say before I start on my Baroque party that their house is stunning. It looks like something straight out of "perfect sorority houses magazine" (I'm aware this isn't real, but if it was, this house would be in it). Also, I went into Recruitment with no knowledge of any of the "tiers" or rumors or trash talk. I didn't actively look for it because I really didn't care. First of all, Baroque was the only sorority to get buses instead of tents for the PNMs to use before their party at Baroque and let me tell you, the air conditioning felt like HEAVEN! I really, really wanted to like this sorority, but when we were learning the chant and the girl who came out to check and make sure we were all in the right order came out and was a real life Barbie, I knew that there was no way I would ever fit in with them. They opened the doors to the UCF theme and led us in to what looked like a hollowed out dining hall which echoed like crazy! The first girl that I talked to was actually really, really sweet and I thought I really connected with her. I then got bumped to someone with fake eyelashes galore, super tan skin, and hair blonder than blonde. Don't get me wrong, she was very pretty and held an intelligent conversation with me, but I knew I was going to put them in my bottom two at the end of the day.

Bali Blue was our last house before lunch. I went into this party thinking these girls were going to be stuck up and that I would have nothing to talk about with them except the generic what year/what major stuff. The first thing that was different about this party is that they had two PNMs for one active and they had us all at tables. It was kind of awkward in the beginning, but I got over it. The girl who was rushing me was actually really cool, chill and hilarious! I don't know whether the girl they paired me with was just shy or didn't want to be there because she didn't talk at all throughout the whole party except to give the usual answers. Looking back, I feel a little bad because I have a very strong personality and I probably should have tried to include her. Anyways, I left feeling like Bali Blue was for sure the house for me!

We had lunch and then Delta Zeta where they had girls from Florida DZ chapters come and talk to us while their national people put on a presentation. It was cute, but I didn't know if I would be willing to drop out of Recruitment to rush DZ.

We then made our way over to Cupcakes Pink, which going in was my number 1. I loved their mascot, colors, philanthropy, and what the sorority stood for. We got in and I started talking to the girl about the usual stuff and she asked me what activities I did in high school and when I mentioned that I did colorguard she said that one of the sisters was the captain of one of the independent winterguards. It turns out that I actually knew this sister through one of my friends on my high school guard! I then proceeded to mention how I didn't think I knew anyone in a sorority, but it seemed I actually knew a couple. When she asked who else I knew, I told her that I knew someone in Baroque. She of course asked how I knew her and I had no choice but to say from church, which then brought up religion and I know it is one of the forbidden topics of rush and I was mentally kicking myself for bringing up the other girl. She found out I was Methodist and she was Catholic and it all went down from there. I got bumped to a girl where we had an awkward conversation about her losing her voice and how honey would help her. The party was soon over and even though I really liked this house, I knew I probably wouldn't be asked back because of my slip up.

I didn't know what to think of Indigo Pop going into the party because I didn't really know all too much about them! This was one of the other houses that we actually got to see the door song because they lined us up in arcs. And I'm glad because it was ADORABLE!!! The first girl who rushed me gave of this vibe of being very stuck up and she eventually bumped me to another girl who was pretty nice and then I eventually got bumped to yet another girl who was seriously one of the sweetest (or is really good at acting nice) girls I have met! We talked about my major and movies that we wanted to see (The Vow) and then it was time to got. So even though the party started on a sour note, it ended on a good one and I liked them enough to want to come back.

It was off to Viva La Vera, the second to last party of the day and I was starting to fell really tired. We got in a line and were led into this beautiful house. The exterior is not as gorgeous as Baroque's, but the inside is stunning. This was another house where it was one rusher to two PNMs. The rusher took me and another girl to their chapter room where we sat down and talked. The person who rushed me was actually a sophomore that ended up being in my government class in the fall. We talked and the PNM that I was paired with was someone who I knew I would never get along with outside of this situation, but I smiled and took part in the conversation. I asked the girl who was rushing me what her favorite part of being in Viva La Vera was and - I kid you not because there is no way I could or would ever make this up - she said, "I like when the fraternity boys come in and make us breakfast. It is so sweet and they just do it for free!" My subconscious' jaw was to the floor. I could not believe she had just said that. All of the other girls I had talked to in the houses that I had asked that question had said either sisterhood or their philanthropy events which were the answers I was looking for because I wanted that to be my favorite part of a sorority. Anyways, the conversation just went downhill from there and somehow turned into talking about how the other PNMs dog had just recently died. I was grateful to be out of that house. They were a house that I definitely didn't want to go back to.

Finally! The last party of the day was at Suzani and just in time too because it started to rain a right before we started to line up. So they told us to just get in line and they quickly ushered us into the house to clapping, singing, and cheering. I was so exhausted by this point. My feet hurt, I was wet and I really just wanted to take a shower and go to bed after the long hot day. But I knew I had one more party to go to and I wasn't going to let anything get in my way from being my best self. So I threw on a smile and started the conversation. The girl who was rushing me was obviously nervous and really didn't know what to say. So after we got past the usual questions for me, I pretty much had a one-sided conversation with the girl nodding and smiling away. It wasn't a bad connection like at Viva La Vera, but I didn't really like the fact that I talked so much about myself and I knew nothing about the personality of the sister. The party ended and I walked out to, thankfully, no rain, but a few ominous clouds.

We had to make our way all the way back to Very Berry Paisley to do our voting. At the end of the day I put Baroque and Viva La Vera as the houses I really didn't want to go back to.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

For your last house in your first house visits, did you mean to write paprika?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
For your last house in your first house visits, did you mean to write paprika?
Bahaha!!! Yes, I did! I knew I shouldn't have but the two Ps next to each other! Thank you for catching that
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread has made me understand when people are like OMG POST MORE PLZ. Can't wait to hear the rest (and also hoping for an Alpha Xi ending!)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Three-Philanthropy Day

After a great first day of Recruitment, I woke up bright-eyed and bushy tailed the next day ready to take on round 2. I went over to UCF and met up with my Rho Gamma to get my schedule. I was ready to meet new girls from my top choices and fall more in love with them. My Rho Gamma looked through all of the teeny tiny slips of paper until she found mine and handed it to me. My mood instantly fell. Instead of seeing a full, or even half full schedule, I was dropped from every single sorority but two: Very Berry Paisley and Suzani. I was crushed. Never in my naive little brain did I think so many sororities would drop me. Because Very Berry Paisley was my first house from the day before, I had easily forgot that I liked them a lot and Suzani was my last house from the first round, so I knew I hadn't meshed well. I told as much to my Rho Gamma and she asked me what I wanted to do. I told her I still wanted to go to the parties to see what would happen. She encouraged me to do so and told me to come back at the end so I could vote.

So off I went to Very Berry Paisley not in the best of moods. Instantly I heard girls complaining about how houses they didn't like had invited them back over other houses, which made me feel even worse because they had full schedules while I didn't even get a chance to have anyone else but two sororities get to know me. They were soon calling our names to have us go and cluster up once more. So I put on a smile and made my way over to the group of girls. We once again did their chant a few times and they opened up the door and ushered us in. The screaming and cheering put me in a better mood already because I could tell how happy all of these sisters were. After everything was done we started talking about finances which was kind of boring, but I guess it was necessary. I didn't really, really connect with this girl, but she wasn't anything horrible. They then passed us off to another set of sisters who were waiting for us to talk about their philanthropy and to do the craft. We watched a video and I immediately fell in love with this sorority. There national and local philanthropies are things that are VERY VERY close to my heart. Instantly my entire day turned around. The girl I was talking to was great and she said she reminded me of a her roommates who were sisters of Very Berry Paisley and that made me even more happy. I walked out with a huge grin on my face and thinking I had just found my future sisters.

I grab my stuff and was off to Suzani. After my first party, I knew that things were going to have to go really well with this house if they were going to top Very Berry Paisley. Their door song was extremely cute and things were looking bright for Suzani! The girl that was rushing me asked if I wanted to do the craft, which of course I said sure to because who doesn't love to craft! We got to talking and I was very happy that I was having a good conversation with a sister there! It was just about the time when I was finishing the craft that they played a video for their philanthropy and the girl I was talking to (along with all of the other sisters the PNMs were talking to) stepped back to the back of the room. We watched the video which was really cute and about something I had no clue existed! So that was a plus. After the video a new sister came up and started talking to me. After we got through the usual questions, things got awkward. It was her first time doing formal recruitment from either side because she had joined in the previous spring. All of her answers were very short and she really didn't have anything to say to me. She asked if I wanted to do the craft and I told her I had already done one and she kind of looked like she didn't know what to do next. I didn't want to go talking this girl's head off like I did with the girl yesterday so we just kind of sat in a little silence until they started playing the music for us to leave. It was at that point that the girl decided to ask if I had anymore questions. I smiled and told her that I didn't. I was the first one out the door. I really could not have gotten away faster. I knew this house wasn't the right fit at all.

I went to my Rho Gamma to circle to "vote" for the two houses and told her about my parties. She told me that I could just circle Very Berry Paisley if I wanted to. While I was tempted to do so, I felt like maybe that if I talked to an active who had been around the Recruitment circuit before at Suzani, that I might end up liking them more. So I circled both and went home to shower and change!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 - Video Day

I was a little more nervous going into this round because I now knew nothing was a guarantee. I didn't get the dreaded call from my Rho Gamma, so I knew that at least one of my two had asked me back and I was just hoping that Very Berry Paisley was on my list. And they were! It was only them, but I didn't care. I was head over heals with this sorority that there was no sting from being dropped. My Rho Gamma said she was really excited for me because she knew I really liked them. I could not get the smile off of my face!

I went to the tent to wait until it was time to go to the party and heard girls, once more, talking about how they were invited back to sororities they didn't like and kept trying to drop. I turned around and told them that everyone should be grateful for the parties they had because this was my only party of the day. I think it sobered them up a little because they stopped complaining after that. We soon made our way over to the doors and were chanting the chant and I was smiling like a loon. Very Berry Paisley is famous for the door chant they did on this day and it was every bit as adorable as I thought it would be. After their door song, we made our way inside and I was paired off with another PNM and an active. The sister led us to some chairs where we sat down and she made her way to join the other sisters around the room. They then played their video for us. Which, of course, I cried because everything about it was perfect and I so knew that this was where I was meant to be. After the video ended, our rusher took us out to the front room where we started talking and I quickly learned that the PNM I was paired with and I had nothing in common. She was a sophomore, I was a freshman. She moved around a lot and didn't really do many extracurriculars in high school, whereas I have lived in the same house all my life and was in oodles of activities in high school. I could see that the conversations were going to have to be made in turns. While the sister was asking me questions, the other PNM made no move to join the conversation which I thought was strange. When the sister tried to bring her in, I tried to keep in the conversation so I would not be forgotten, but because of the lack of similarity, I was simply grasping for nothing. Towards the end of the party, the sister tried to have us talk to another sister, but the music soon started. Since we were right by the doors, people started walking out, but the sister and the PNM we had just joined were talking about how Big/Littles worked in the house and I that was something I had really wanted to talk about. I got a brief answer and was soon being guided out the doors. I left feeling really, really good about Very Berry Paisley and was so excited for Pref Knight (purposefully spelled with a K) and Bid Day!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
My 4 fave patterns from what you listed are: Baroque, Viva La Vera, Cupcakes Pink and Indigo Pop
I admit I am disappointed you didn't use Java Blue, Island Blooms or Deco Daisy LOL
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Put on pause until 2013

Alright, so I know the title may have you going "Huh?", but it will all makes sense in the end.

Now would probably be a good time to have me shed some light on my Rho Gamma. I didn't like her. From the moment I met her, she just gave off this really fake vibe to me. Whenever she talked it just seemed like... I don't know, I just didn't get a good vibe from her from the beginning. I am also not one to talk to someone who I feel is fake. Therefore, talking to her about my feelings about what was going on through my recruitment process was strange and I just couldn't do it. (I later found out she was part of Viva La Vera and it kind of all made sense.)

So the day of Pref Knight rolls around and I am relaxing and feeling pretty good about Very Berry Paisley. Of course the thought that my Rho Gamma might call me had crossed my mind, but it got to the point where it was about an hour and a half until we were supposed to check in and I hadn't heard from her. So I figured I was in the clear. I went to start doing my hair, when my phone rang and my Rho Gamma's nickname popped up as the person calling. Immediately my heart sank all the way to China. I knew this was not going to be good news. So with a very heavy heart I answered the phone. My worst fears had come true, nobody wanted me. I had not been asked back to Very Berry Paisley and I was dropped from Recruitment. (Please don't stop reading here! I promise there is more to this story and there is a point I really hope to make!) The worst part of it was I wanted nothing more than to talk it out with a bunch of tears and get a big hug in the end telling me it will work out somehow if it was meant to be, but because I was alone at home thirty minutes away from a RG and I really couldn't talk to mine in a way that felt genuine, I told her I was fine and hung up the phone.

I immediately started crying. I was so upset with myself. No one wanted me. Never in any of my wildest dreams had I pictured not ending up running home to sisters on the Saturday of Bid Day. Never. I was a hot mess of emotions and I had no one that I felt comfortable talking to that could help me or understand what I had gone through. It was a hard first few weeks at school. I bore no grudge against ANYONE in the greek system at my school and I definitely still don't. I even went through the rush process for Delta Zeta, but I didn't end up getting a bid and looking back I am kind of glad because they are a great sorority, but they just weren't the right for me.

So, the point I wanted to make with writing out my recruitment story is that not everyone does have a happy ending and I hope this makes you all appreciate the sisters you have so much more because you found them and they have changed your lives for the better. Some people don't get that opportunity as much as they want to. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. Trust me, I have felt sorry for myself enough for everybody in the world this past year.

To make sense of my title "Put on pause until 2013", this year I am going to be at a community college due to financial reasons and will be back at UCF in Fall 2013 if all goes well. Which means that I will go through Recruitment once more, but this time I'm not going to be someone I'm not. I'm not going to try to be someone who I thought the sororities would want. I'm not going to wear a dress everyday with my pearls because I think that's what these ladies are expecting. I'm going to ask more questions and engage in more intelligent conversations to get to know the women on a deeper level. All in all, I'm going to be myself. I promise to the entire GC community that I will go through Recruitment in 2013 and I will be myself through and through. And if I don't find my sisters, so be it. It means that things really weren't meant to be.

Thank you for reading my story!
Love,
B

Last edited by showmethevera; 08-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

You have a great attitude. Good luck to you this year and when you try again.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow you are very brave. I think you have the right attitude moving forward. Best of luck!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

OP, did you have recommendations?