GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,221
1 members and 1,220 guests
acg233

Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You can wear your badge to honor her. They are having a sisterhood at the house tonight for alumnae and sisters to remember Katy, if you see this in time.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
The man who killed her last night, killed himself this morning in a local hotel room.
Such a cowardly way.......

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the Delta Theta Chapter.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You can wear your badge to honor her. They are having a sisterhood at the house tonight for alumnae and sisters to remember Katy, if you see this in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Such a cowardly way.......

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the Delta Theta Chapter.
I had to get some things out and talked to a campus professional today. It wasn't so much that I needed help as I needed to just get it out and not have a way for it to come back and have any effect, or disturb anyone who doesn't have training to handle disturbing things. I didn't want to say it and upset someone, have any probing questions asked, or be judged. I felt a lot better, and it never has to be spoken of again.

I had phone calls from home, one was my sister telling me to avoid any comments on news stories, which isn't a problem as I can't bring myself to read any. Someone sent an email from work with the article embedded and that was not appreciated, the sender didn't realize that I knew the people involved, but just knowing it was there would bother me, even if I didn't read it. My mom called and was trying to be supportive but I had to go to work.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
I had to talk myself into going to the gym today and I am so glad I did!

Got an alumnae dues solicitation from AGD IHQ today. Last year, I paid my dues in October....I thought. Anyway, I think I'm going to check the box next to "Serve on a short term project, committee, etc."

Do I need to check "Join an alumnae chapter" if I'm already a member, but not sure that IHQ has me on record? Or wait, they must have me on record because I had to have been reported as an officer, right?
Look on your Member profile it may have you as an officer if they have updated it.

VS HUGS,,,, there is a Badge dispo form on the hq site.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Apologize for barging in but -So sorry to hear about this VandalSquirrel. You, your chapter, and the U of I community are in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by AXOmom; 08-24-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have the words to express my horror and sorrow. Katy, her family, and all my sisters are in my prayers--always--
Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I have times where I'm completely numb, or approaching normal, and then I'll lose it. I had to go to the pharmacy and grocery store yesterday, and there is almost no way to go to that shopping area/mall without passing the hotel where he ended his life. That's where our 50th chapter anniversary was held, that's where IRD has been held, I have events on my schedule (personal and professional) where I'm supposed to go there in the upcoming months, and I don't know how I'm going to step foot in the place.

I was so on autopilot I just drove past it as quickly and safely as possible, and then I was passing her street I felt so sick I ended up having to pull over down a side street in a restaurant parking lot. I almost rented a house a block from her last spring, I was assigned that house/street during the 2010 census, and a classmate was her neighbor and there's no way I can consider going to their house. I didn't go to the house last night, and I probably won't tonight either. I know I can't handle a public candlelight vigil, but I don't know if I'm okay with possibly breaking down in front of my sisters, especially new members, at the dinner table.

I am the kind of person who keeps notes from old classes, and I promised to give a binder to someone that I haven't used for a couple years. It was in a box in my closet and when I went to take out the contents it was from a class I took from him. I left the papers in the box, shut the closet door, and I think I'm going to have someone else go through the box and throw those papers out for me. I make folders in my email for my classes and deleted that one some time ago, but I don't know if there's anything lurking that was missed, from a TA or in my sent mail. I hadn't touched that binder/box in over two years, and I am so creeped out that was the one I ended up with I took two showers.

ETA: As safe as it makes me usually feel, and gives me a discount on insurance, being close to the police & fire stations is stressing me out when I hear sirens. It has been the warmest it has been all summer so closing the windows isn't really an option to block it out. I'm definitely getting out of town over the weekend, even if it is just a day trip, and I think I'll be camping the weekend after Labor Day, as well as rafting. As great as this place is, I need to get out.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 08-25-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Deltas will be wearing Badges on Tuesday to honor Katie.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
I'll be at home, but I'll make sure to be wearing mine, and to spread the word!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in! I'm going to post it on my personal facebook and also on both of my chapter's pages!

Katy will not be forgotten by Alpha Gams.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I'll be at home, but I'll make sure to be wearing mine, and to spread the word!
Quote:
I'm in! I'm going to post it on my personal facebook and also on both of my chapter's pages!

Katy will not be forgotten by Alpha Gams.
I've been wearing my badge since Tuesday, when appropriate.

The campus has a White Ribbon campaign, There is a sheet of text accompanying the white ribbons with safety pins.

"The University of Idaho invites the campus and local community to wear a white ribbon to express care and solidarity in the tragic death of UI graduate student Kathryn (Katy) Benoit, on August 22, 2011. A white ribbon symbolizes the wearer's opposition to violence against women. The white ribbon is a visual representation of the desire to help build a future without violence. Wearing a white ribbon indicates a personal pledge to never commit, condone, or remain silent about violence against women and girls."
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Look on your Member profile it may have you as an officer if they have updated it.
Nope. I can access all the documents posted by my collegiate chapter through the resource center, but they don't have anything about my affiliation with GRAC or as an officer.

Word about Katy is spreading. A girl from my initiating chapter posted it on her FB and sisters are showing support.

Katy will be missed by AGD.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I was listening to a lecture today where squirrels were repeatedly used as an example. It made me giggle to myself.

I know it is probably just me, but I've seen attempts at a hand sign in photos and I assume that the end result is supposed to represent our badge, and I'm just not a fan. I don't think we really need a hand sign, especially since our symbolism doesn't make any easy or obvious gestures, and from what I've seen it could lead to carpal tunnel or be quite painful Squirrels don't have opposable thumbs!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I've always liked the hand-sign. At my initiating chapter, two sisters would do it together standing side-by-side which makes it less painful. And, doing by yourself if kind of difficult (for me, anyway).

Spent an hour catching up with my sis-mom tonight. I hadn't talked to her since right before she moved in August. Talking to her makes me so proud to be an Alpha Gam.

My sister and I are exchanging AGD paddles as a christmas gift this year. I've already bought some of the supplies. I'll be sure to post a picture when it's done.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Yesterday an older gentleman who is a Greek alumnus, told me he knew I was an Alpha Gam because of how I presented and carried myself, what my motivations were, and just my overall demeanor and attitude.

Obviously some sister or sisters were inspiring and previously impacted his world, tee hee!

In all seriousness the reason we came to meet is one of those things straight out of The Purpose:
To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied.