GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,032
2 members and 1,030 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2015, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Okay, I'm in a wedding and the bride said to wear whatever I want, as long as it is neutral and knee-length. Where do I look for dresses?
Rent the Runway if you don't want to keep it.

J.Crew and Anthropologie are really into the flowy neutrals right now. J.Crew will occasionally have sales on bridesmaids' dresses.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 09-14-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Argh autocorrect!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Heh. Have you come across the ones "waiting" for an engagement? That's called dating, YWIA.
I can't even with these people. I'm thrilled to be engaged because I can't wait to share my life (even more than I already do) with my fiancé--not because he bought me a diamond ring or because we are planning what amounts to a black tie dinner party with dancing.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

J.Crew and Anthropologie are really into the flowy neutrals right now. J.Crew will occasionally have sales on bridesmaids' dresses.
The wedding I was in a few years back we got our bridesmaid dresses from J. Crew, they weren't crazy expensive and were't too bridemaidy (Yes I made that word up ) looking that I could potentially wear it again to a formal event. From what I remember too it wasn't crazy expensive (less than 200). You might want to check out Ann Taylor online too as they have bridal stuff. I got my wedding dress when they were having a 1/2 off sale online.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
The wedding I was in a few years back we got our bridesmaid dresses from J. Crew, they weren't crazy expensive and were't too bridemaidy (Yes I made that word up ) looking that I could potentially wear it again to a formal event. From what I remember too it wasn't crazy expensive (less than 200). You might want to check out Ann Taylor online too as they have bridal stuff. I got my wedding dress when they were having a 1/2 off sale online.
Yeah! I got my groomsmaid dress there during a super-sale--got it for $99 (with 20% off) and have worn it often since. I'm not loving their dresses this season so I likely won't pick it for my own bridesmaids.

I always forget Ann Taylor for bridesmaids dresses.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

Yeah, I've looked at these. I usually shop at ModCloth. I think I'm just having a hard time because I don't usually do "neutrals," but I found a few at Rent the Runway that might work, even if that means renting them in advance to confirm.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM

So, I'm sort of in the industry a bit (i think I have shared that before.)

There is an attitude toward weddings and wedding spending that rubs me the wrong way.

So, whenever someone mentions weddings or wedding planning. I find that there are people who like to respond with:

"OMG that's ridiculous. I would never spend that amount of money! We'd rather buy a house."

or

"Going into debt for a wedding is so silly!"

When did wanting a nice event automatically start to = they must be going broke and they won't have house money?

Everyone I know has bought a house AND had a nice wedding without debt.

When did we start equating nice wedding with "omg people are spending their last dollar! So dumb?"

Every single person having a nice event isn't going broke, trying to impress people, or not saving for a house.

You can have a nice wedding and still have your down payment for a home at the same time.

When did it become one or the other in people's minds?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
So, I'm sort of in the industry a bit (i think I have shared that before.)

There is an attitude toward weddings and wedding spending that rubs me the wrong way.

So, whenever someone mentions weddings or wedding planning. I find that there are people who like to respond with:

"OMG that's ridiculous. I would never spend that amount of money! We'd rather buy a house."

or

"Going into debt for a wedding is so silly!"

When did wanting a nice event automatically start to = they must be going broke and they won't have house money?

Everyone I know has bought a house AND had a nice wedding without debt.

When did we start equating nice wedding with "omg people are spending their last dollar! So dumb?"

Every single person having a nice event isn't going broke, trying to impress people, or not saving for a house.

You can have a nice wedding and still have your down payment for a home at the same time.

When did it become one or the other in people's minds?

They're projecting their own issues (in this case, not having enough money to have the weddings they think other people are having) onto others. They can't imagine that someone could have a wedding without going into debt.

Then there are the people who think you only get one "big" expenditure in a time frame. It could be because of their own financial issues.

It's crazy! It drives me bonkers. It's not an either/or thing. Also--you never know how people are paying for what. Someone's grandmother could have saved so she could have the dress she wanted. Another person could have inherited a diamond, which cut down on engagement ring cost. Another family could have done really well in real estate. You never know. So many assumptions!

ETA: I know of only one over-the-top (as in the groom was asking his brothers to cover costs of things the day of) wedding, and they didn't last 6 months. Most people might not take big vacations while they're planning, but they're doing fine.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 09-14-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I do agree with the posters above. Although I do feel like at least where I live you mention wedding and there's this huge mark up on wedding related costs. For me getting married in my 30's and soon to be Mr. Andthen being in his mid-40's we both own homes and we're still going the wedding ceremony route (although its a destination).

For those in the planning phases it is possible to have a nice wedding without breaking the bank. I found some creative ways to cut down costs in some areas, I bought a wedding invite kit where it gave me a template to print my own specific information. The invites were plain but honestly I didn't want something overdone. We had to assemble them but we were only inviting 50 people, and the kit came with everything you needed except postage. Total cost $44. If I had something similar done by a professional printer it would have easily cost me between $200-300.

Wedding programs, I went online to look at stationary printing places, and found a simple program where I put in the text and they printed it. Cost for 25 programs, 20 bucks.

Granted we're doing a smaller wedding which means less expensive. But my best advice in this quick couple of months of planning and I mean I had less than 6 months to plan, be creative use google, pintrest to see what options are out there in wedding planning. With enough research you can find something nice but won't cost a fortune. That extra savings you can put towards other things.

Last edited by andthen; 09-15-2015 at 09:00 AM. Reason: extra word
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I get more frustrated when the bride and/or groom's brilliant vision causes others in the family or wedding party to be put in a spot where they are asked to spend beyond their means. I can't tell you how many weddings I've been in/to that cost me upward of a grand. I'm half of a DINK couple, so I can absorb that, but it's obviously not the case for everyone.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I get more frustrated when the bride and/or groom's brilliant vision causes others in the family or wedding party to be put in a spot where they are asked to spend beyond their means. I can't tell you how many weddings I've been in/to that cost me upward of a grand. I'm half of a DINK couple, so I can absorb that, but it's obviously not the case for everyone.
Yeah, I'm really trying to be mindful of that in planning our wedding--not just for our wedding party, but also invited guests.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

No. More. Rustic. Weddings. On. Pinterest.

Also--I get why people may do the DIY thing. Some people are naturally or professionally creative (or think they are) and some people think it's a way to save money. BUT--many people don't take the time to print out a stencil. Or plan out what they're going to write. I've seen (on the Internet, not in real life) letters that slope down.

It doesn't cost anything more just to get organized and pull it together!

I could also prepare a list of overdone wedding things. I'm glad we are just about done with mustaches and mason jars.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 10-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm over burlap, barns, baby's breath, and chalkboard paint.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I'm over burlap, barns, baby's breath, and chalkboard paint.
Just no more barns. I don't even think Amish people get married in barns as often as Brooklyn hipsters do.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

But Amish people definitely have their guests sit on hay bales.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Things I'm over:

In addition to all things rustic:

*Moustache everything. 2009 called. It would like its hipster wedding back.

*Floating candle centerpieces.

*Floating candle aisle decor

Color-select wedding photos (the black and white with color thing circa 2006)

If you aren't sure what color-select photos are, they look like this:

Every time I see this, I can't believe it is still happening.

*Giant pick-ups on wedding dresses circa 2005:

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-22-2015 at 03:27 PM.