GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,419
2 members and 1,417 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 07-30-2016, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
The questions she didn't send me a response to were the ones regarding her GPA. Her activities look good, but if she won't say her GPA cause it's not so hot, she's gonna have bigger problems in an SEC recruitment.
I had a PNM ask for a reference for a large SEC campus and I was initially worried and quite biased because her High School GPA was substandard. I met with her anyway, completed the form, remained positive in my writing and advised the chapter to make the best decision for them. Thought that would be the end of it. Turns out she pledged my organization and has been thriving as a chapter member for the last two years. It was a lesson that even as alumnae, what we see on the surface and on paper is not always an accurate indicator of what that young woman sitting in front of us can become.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

She was super super involved in a ton of activities and her grades were fair. High enough to rush by IMO low enough to likely get cut by a lot of houses. I guess we'll see. But I found it a little rude she couldn't bother to send a Thank You email when I told her her rec was submitted.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I am writing one for the University of South Carolina.
Hope she likes my chapter!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Finding recs?

Hi everyone. I haven't had occasion to post before but have lurked for a while enjoying the recruitment stories in particular :-) My daughter is planning to rush at a small Southern college this fall and there is a chapter there from which we do not know anyone who can write her a recommendation. Would it be acceptable to cold contact our local Alumnae Panhellenic to see if she could meet with a potential reference or would that be a faux pas?

I don't think rush is particularly competitive at her school, but her GPA is .02 below the minimum due to some issues she had with sports related concussions during her Sophomore year so an explanation might help what otherwise may be viewed as a grade risk.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

It is certainly worth taking a chance by contacting your local Alumnae Panhellenic. In addition, your daughter might teach out to the alumnae who wrote recs for her, asking them if they know an alumna of YZ sorority, as she is missing that one.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
It is certainly worth taking a chance by contacting your local Alumnae Panhellenic. In addition, your daughter might teach out to the alumnae who wrote recs for her, asking them if they know an alumna of YZ sorority, as she is missing that one.
Thanks. BTW I seem to submit lots of recs to FSU it's a great greek system!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hope its not too late to join. Been absent from the board for a while. Was a big year here in TX - 3 Alabama, 18 Arkansas, 1 College of Charleston, 1 Mississippi State, 5 Oklahoma State, 4 Ole Miss, 1 Penn State, 2 TCU and 2 U of North Carolina.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

als463's Recs (update)

I have a final tally. It's no longer my "lucky 7" group but, now it's "lucky 9" I guess.

*Alabama (6)
*Auburn (1)
*Oklahoma State (1)
*College of Charleston (1)

I am excited to see where these young ladies end up. I'm probably most excited about my Auburn and College of Charleston ladies. Some of you know why I am excited to hear how my Auburn girl does during recruitment.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I am writing a rec for a girl going to Texas Tech. I am worried. I have talked to her about cleaning up her social media accounts and she refuses to do so. There are not any party pictures, just tons of her and her boyfriend. Some are of them kissing and others are of them in swim suits with their hands all over each other.

How much will this impact her?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote one for a girl going to Alabama.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Is Oklahoma State the 1st recruitment again this year? If so, they start THIS Saturday!
Bid day, next Saturday, August 13. Good luck to all participating!
OSU Panhellenic Recruitment video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQVCarcfLc
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM

I've got a TCU, Georgia and Bama this year.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
I am writing a rec for a girl going to Texas Tech. I am worried. I have talked to her about cleaning up her social media accounts and she refuses to do so. There are not any party pictures, just tons of her and her boyfriend. Some are of them kissing and others are of them in swim suits with their hands all over each other.

How much will this impact her?
I wouldn't worry about it 1-because there's nothing worry can solve and 2-that doesn't sound worthy of worry. None of us pledge future nuns. She's a real person with an actual boyfriend. I don't think they'll read more into it than that.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece (a legacy in my organization) is going through recruitment at a Big 12 school. She is the first of my nieces to go through recruitment, so the first legacy, so I am really excited for her! I told her not to listen to tent talk and form her own opinions. She's a great girl with a great resume, but she is competing with hundreds of women with similar or even better credentials. We will see how it goes!

Old 08-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I filled out five recs this season, but I'm fairly certain that all but one has been covered by other alumnae. If I hear the details of the one, I'll add them.

Best of luck to all!